Doom Tournament [1.2]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
thedeathrunner123
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Tournament [Almost 1.0]

Post by thedeathrunner123 »

any suggested map packs for this?
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Yeah this mod is great but what's really lacking is just an unreal-themed maps.. I was thinking about bringing DM-Morpheus to Doom with 3D floors, but I have no idea how does the gravity work in custom maps. Plus I already have a project on the side :)
Edward-The-Hazardous
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Edward-The-Hazardous »

I feel stupid for asking this, but I tried to run the mod, and...
Script error, "flak_m.pk3:zscript.txt" line 1:
Version mismatch. 3.6.0 expected but only 3.5.1 supported
I'm pretty sure GZDoom 3.6.0 doesn't exist...
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

You need a development build of GZDoom: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Yes, you need recent devbuilds. This is because 3.5.1 didn't include some features the mod makes use of.

Small update: Announcer pack now behaves more UT-like, with voiceovers stopping previous ones before playing, also the correct order of headshot -> multikill -> end spree -> first blood -> spree is followed now (this took me some time digging into the mess that is UT's scripts, since most of the code is scattered across half a dozen different classes).
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Yes, you need recent devbuilds. This is because 3.5.1 didn't include some features the mod makes use of.
That said the mod shouldn't ask for version 3.6.0 since your features were added before the ZScript version bump, anyway the vintage build is still at 3.5.1.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

PixelWAD wrote:Yeah this mod is great but what's really lacking is just an unreal-themed maps.. I was thinking about bringing DM-Morpheus to Doom with 3D floors, but I have no idea how does the gravity work in custom maps. Plus I already have a project on the side :)
That
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I'm already working on a Deck 16 port myself.
drfrag wrote:That said the mod shouldn't ask for version 3.6.0 since your features were added before the ZScript version bump, anyway the vintage build is still at 3.5.1.
oops, noted, and updated
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Awesome! Any screenshots from your current map so far? That would keep us all motivated.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

drfrag wrote: That said the mod shouldn't ask for version 3.6.0 since your features were added before the ZScript version bump, anyway the vintage build is still at 3.5.1.
Why are you sticking on 3.5.1 when the master is 3.6.0?

Outside of rendering that you cannot control, don't you think it makes far more sense in ZScript to keep it as tightly close together as possible?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Years ago a user called Biff made a DM Morpheus map for ZDoom. Architecturally it was pretty basic but the low gravity and air control were pretty good.

If you want to know, I think he used the following MAPINFO entry to give better control while flying around in the air:

aircontrol = 0.25

or you can do it in a script with [wiki]SetAirControl[/wiki]

and I think he set the low gravity in the map using a script.

[wiki]Sector_SetGravity[/wiki]

I think he mostly used 10% and 20% gravity but I'm not sure. I used to "speak" to him a lot over email but it's been years since he faded from the scene.

It can also be done in MAPINFO but that would apply it across the whole map and you might want finer control over it than that.

[edit] found it https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... f/dm-morph

playing it again reminded me that I did my own version of it too - I used fake floors to emulate the fading-to-white effect when you fall off the buildings that you see in UT and so I also made it feel much higher (like the UT map) and added a few other things like a jump pad instead of a teleport and used 3D floors instead of what you see in the above file. I even made it semi-bot compatible by having lines on the edge of the buildings to thrust bots off the edges and upwards to emulate them jumping - otherwise they refused to leave whichever building they were on IIRC. It was still architecturally pretty simple though and I don't know where my version is now either. [/edit]
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

Thanks for that link! I just had a look at it, but yeah, it's from 2001 and doesn't look like Unreal at all, just a layout ;)
I found this version originally made for Half-Life - https://skfb.ly/6BpoP - I do not have an UT99 to check how accurate it is, but it seems to be pretty much spot on? Maybe we could try to use zscripting collision, so then we could just import the obj file into builder and go further from there.

On the other hand, it wouldn't take more than 2-3 days to completly redo it with sectors in gzdoom.

https://skfb.ly/6BpoP
Edward-The-Hazardous
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Edward-The-Hazardous »

Alright, I got it to work, and I'm actually really happy with it! I love both Unreal and Doom, so this is a dream come true for me.

I haven't experienced a single bug so far.

Nice job, can't wait for further updates!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

PixelWAD wrote:Thanks for that link! I just had a look at it, but yeah, it's from 2001 and doesn't look like Unreal at all, just a layout ;)
I was more posting it to show that the low gravity and air control can be done in GZDoom. These days with true 3D floors and other mapping options, the appearance of the map could easily be much more faithful to the original UT99 map.
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

The gravity feels fine, although everytime I try to jump on the tower I feel like I'm not gonna make it, lol. Easy to adjust though.

How does the community feel like? Which map should be made for Doom UT?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”