Stereo 3D Strenght and Distance options (sliders)

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Pepois

Stereo 3D Strenght and Distance options (sliders)

Post by Pepois »

Hello dear community,

After finding out that GZDoom has now stereo 3D features as well as VR, I was wondering if it could be possible to implement the options to increase/reduce stereo 3D strength (scene depth) as well as 3D distance (percentage in front), like many 3D games do, or for example Tridef. I am sure those features could be used not only for stereo 3D but also for VR.

Warmest regards and sorry if this feature has been asked before,

Pepois
biospud

Re: Stereo 3D Strenght and Distance options (sliders)

Post by biospud »

To get the correct perspective, set the vr_ipd cvar to the distance between your eyes (in meters), and the vr_screendist cvar to the distance from your eyes and your screen. The default values are 0.062 and 0.80. Those values have no effect in VR, because you should have set the IPD when installing your headset, and for everything else there is precisely one correct way to do it, and no player has any business fooling around with it.
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

Hi Biospud,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and share this valuable info with me, THANK YOU! I will be trying out those cvars out. Do you think it would be possible to have them available as sliders in the OpenGL menu? or maybe its not worth it?

Warm regards
Pepois
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I really think they should be.

@biospud: If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, tell me the sane limits for such a slider and I'll put them in.
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

Hi @Rachael and @biospud ,

That would be great!!! even if it only makes it to a beta release!

Warm regards

Pepois
biospud

Post by biospud »

Rachael wrote:I really think they should be.

@biospud: If you are not comfortable doing this yourself, tell me the sane limits for such a slider and I'll put them in.
Thank you @Rachael. I would appreciate that.

A generous range for vr_ipd would be from 41 to 73 mm (0.041 to 0.073 m), which would cover the range from children, through those with very large heads.
The range for vr_screendist should be larger, say from 0.2 to 10.0 meters, a range large enough that a logarithmic slider scale might be appropriate.
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

Thank you @biospud !!!

@biospud and @rachael , do you think it would be possible to also have keybindings to this 2 sliders so we can tweak them in real time or have an onscreen menu that would open by a binding key in any given game where one could increase/decrease each value. Or perhaps that’s too much! Hehe.

Warm regards!
Pepois
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”