Catacomb: ABYSS v1.0

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
inferion_

Catacomb: ABYSS v1.0

Post by inferion_ »

Catacomb: ABYSS
Version 1.0

This mod is compatible with GZDoom g2.1.1, and does not work with newer versions of GZDoom. Sorry, I don't know how to make it compatible, so you have to play with with GZDoom g2.1.1 https://zdoom.org/files/gzdoom/src/gzdoom-g2.1.1.zip.
Edit: People report it working fine with newer versions. Doesn't work for me though, so I guess you can try both. I tested with freedoom and GZDoom g2.1.1.

Hi everyone,

This is a completely playable remake of Catacomb Abyss for the GZDoom engine.

I started this mod a long time ago, but due to the circumstances I was not able to finish it in the time I wanted to.

Even now, I think the mod is not fully finished, there is still polishing that can be done, but with compatibility errors for newer versions of gzdoom and my lack of modding knowledge, I have lost the motivation to keep working on it.

But I did make a thread about it earlier, and I feel bad for not releasing it up until now.

So I thought I would just upload what I have for now. It's completely playable, but it has some minor annoying bugs.

If you notice them, you can let me know, but I don't know how long it will take me to fix them, to be honest.
If anyone wants to update the mod, work on it, add new features, or make Catacomb Apocalypse and Armageddon using this mod as a base, please feel free to do so, just send me a message so I can see it :)

Some screenshots:
Spoiler:
PLEASE NOTE:
[*]You have to set the controls for Zappers and Xterminators in the control settings page. Don't set the potions, they already work without the keybinding (it's on space)
[*]There's a hidden difficulty in the skill selection screen. Try to beat that one.
[*]I tried to make the game true to the original, I included some 'bugs' or actually consequences of software limitations in this mod that are visible in the original game, but in order to make the game fun, and not just a display of what Catacomb was, I shuffled the numbers a bit to make the game harder.

Download link:
https://mega.nz/#!ifR3GA6R!Sq8doPDzEPk_ ... MWBSCWuuOY
Last edited by inferion_ on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Valken

Re: Catacomb: ABYSS v1.0

Post by Valken »

Awesome! Will definitely check this out during my weekend run through! Thanks for the hard work!
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

WoWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inferion_!!!
You really have made my day with your wonderful email and news!!! YOU are the great amazing human being!!! thank you so much for putting so many hours of your life and sharing it with us!!! Thank you!!!

Ill try it and share my thoughts with you!!!
Warmest regards
and thank you once again Inferion_ for all your work

Pepois
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

inferion_ wrote: This mod is compatible with GZDoom g2.1.1, and does not work with newer versions of GZDoom. Sorry, I don't know how to make it compatible, so you have to play with with GZDoom g2.1.1 https://zdoom.org/files/gzdoom/src/gzdoom-g2.1.1.zip.
Again...

Sorry, to me this sounds more like you don’t care about improvements made to the engine during the last two years and a half.

Do you have the list of issues with the latest stable release? Did you try to ask here why something doesn’t work the same in different versions? Maybe you found a bug or even several regressions.
Apparently, you put lots of effort in your mod. I cannot comprehend why you don’t want to spend a little more time to make it compatible with the latest version of GZDoom.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

inferion_ wrote:This mod is compatible with GZDoom g2.1.1, and does not work with newer versions of GZDoom.
Are you sure? I tried running it with the latest GZDoom and played through the first couple of maps and it worked fine. About the only bug I saw was bats briefly turning into Pinky Demons in their pain state and treasure chests logging the default "Picked up a Pickup" message instead of something more informative.
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

Hi again, I am doing something wrong? I tried running it with gzdoom-g2.1.1 as inferion_ suggested, also tried it with the latest version but same error.

I get a:
Execution could not continue.
W_GetNumForName: PLAYPAL not found!

I created a bat file similar to Wolfenstein 3d:

@ECHO OFF

REM If your zdoom.ini file is in a location other than the default, put the path to your ZDoom .ini file here:
SET ZDoomINI="zdoom-%username%.ini"

REM Check to see if Wolf3D .ini file is already there
IF EXIST "zdoom-%username%-Wolf3D.ini" (
REM If so, run normally
start gzdoom.exe -config "zdoom-%username%-Wolf3d.ini" -iwad abyss.wad
) ELSE (
REM If not, do initial setup for first run
copy %ZDoomINI% "zdoom-%username%-Wolf3D.ini"
start gzdoom.exe -config "zdoom-%username%-Wolf3d.ini" +exec Wolf3D.cfg -iwad abyss.wad
)

Thank you!!!
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Run it as a standard Doom 2 mod, not as an IWAD.
spoone

Post by spoone »

I can't get the potions to work even though I binded the keys.
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

Ok, I just deleted my previous reply. I managed to get Abyss working with the lastest version GZDoom v3.5.0. but when trying to run GZDoom v3.5.0. and Tridef 3D using an opengl32.dll wrapper it doesn't detect opengl (I see a new openal32 dll file) so if I try to run the Abyss wad with version 1.3.13 beta, which works perfectly with Doom2 wad and Wolfenstein3D, Hexen, Heretic etc... with Tridef 3D and the opengl32.dll wrapper mentioned above,...
I get this error:

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding C:/Users/Alienware/Downloads/gzdoom-bin-3-5-0-x64/gzdoom.pk3, 539 lumps
adding ./doom2.wad, 2919 lumps
adding Abyss.wad, 742 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Speed: 3600 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Family 6, Model 158, Stepping 9
Features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2
I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright © Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD version 4.22.06
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
P_Init: Checking cmd-line parameters...
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Script error, "Abyss.wad:MAPINFO" line 249:
Unknown property 'Healthfactor' found in skill definition

Script error, "Abyss.wad:MAPINFO" line 264:
Unknown property 'HealthFactor' found in skill definition

S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
Script error, "Abyss.wad:DECWEP" line 16:
Unknown identifier 'WRF_ALLOWUSER1'
Unknown identifier 'WRF_ALLOWUSER2'

Script error, "Abyss.wad:DECWEP" line 31:
Invalid state parameter acs_namedexecute

It seems is related only to the Abyss wad, if I try with the Doom2.wad it works fine. Abyss wad also runs fine in version 2.1.1 as Inferion_ mentioned but this version also doesn't work with Tridef 3D and the opengl32.dll wrapper (R_OPENGL: Unable to create an OpenGL 3.x render context)

Any input will be must welcome.

Warm regards
Pepois
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Kinsie wrote:About the only bug I saw was bats briefly turning into Pinky Demons in their pain state and treasure chests logging the default "Picked up a Pickup" message instead of something more informative.
I've just tried with ZDoom LE and it's the same here. Then i've looked at the DECORATE lumps and bats inherit from Demon with no pain state defined.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

spoone wrote:I can't get the potions to work even though I binded the keys.
Press Space or Jump or whatever.
inferion_

Post by inferion_ »

_mental_ wrote: Sorry, to me this sounds more like you don’t care about improvements made to the engine during the last two years and a half.
Hi, thanks for your comment. I actually think it's fantastic what can be done now with the new engine, especially the code snipplets that can be added (if I understood it correctly), but I unfortunately am not trained enough to do it, and I have other missions in life now together with a full time job. I figured it was best to release this rather than obsessing with small things that will take me a lot of time and dedication to fix.

But anything is possible, maybe I will hit up Apocalypse and Armageddon, I can't know for sure.
Kinsie wrote:
spoone wrote:I can't get the potions to work even though I binded the keys.
Press Space or Jump or whatever.
Exactly, unbind the potions key in the settings and it should work. Sorry I made it a little unclear.
drfrag wrote: I've just tried with ZDoom LE and it's the same here. Then i've looked at the DECORATE lumps and bats inherit from Demon with no pain state defined.
Bats shouldn't even reach the pain state as they should die in one hit. So I guess that's the bug lol. I should fix that.
Kinsie wrote:Are you sure? I tried running it with the latest GZDoom and played through the first couple of maps and it worked fine.
Really? Well I'm not sure at all now. I had some ridiculous GUI issues and the main menu didn't work at all, the maps wouldn't load. If it works, then great!
Pepois wrote:Abyss wad also runs fine in version 2.1.1 as Inferion_ mentioned but this version also doesn't work with Tridef 3D and the opengl32.dll wrapper (R_OPENGL: Unable to create an OpenGL 3.x render context)
Hope someone can shed light on this for you as I really have no idea.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Pepois wrote:It seems is related only to the Abyss wad, if I try with the Doom2.wad it works fine. Abyss wad also runs fine in version 2.1.1 as Inferion_ mentioned but this version also doesn't work with Tridef 3D and the opengl32.dll wrapper (R_OPENGL: Unable to create an OpenGL 3.x render context)

Any input will be must welcome.

Warm regards
Pepois
It's because you're trying to shove some third-party OpenGL hack into GZDoom that doesn't work with it.
Pepois

Post by Pepois »

Hi there Kinsie, well yes, it's called an opengl to directx 9 wrapper which works perfectly on Gzdoom versions 1.3 to 1.8.10. Starting on GZdoom v1.9 - onward it no longer supports OpenGL 1.x.
So yes, for those of us that like playing games in stereo 3D this is pretty awesome specially for playing old games like wolf3D, Doom1&2, Heretic, Hexen etc. So I wonder if any of you have experience with the wad errors I am getting specifically in the Abyss.wad:

Script error, "Abyss.wad:MAPINFO" line 249:
Unknown property 'Healthfactor' found in skill definition

Script error, "Abyss.wad:MAPINFO" line 264:
Unknown property 'HealthFactor' found in skill definition

Unknown identifier 'WRF_ALLOWUSER1'
Unknown identifier 'WRF_ALLOWUSER2'

Script error, "Abyss.wad:DECWEP" line 31:
Invalid state parameter acs_namedexecute

Warm regards
Pepois
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

It's because you're trying to run the mod in an ancient version of GZDoom that doesn't support this mod. So stop using it!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”