[Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - /idgames link is up

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Mynameislol

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - /idgames link is up

Post by Mynameislol »

Enjay wrote:But it is still "just" a megawad. There's nothing official about it and, let's not forget, it is an adaptation of the D64 maps to the Doom engine - so it's not a true representation of the original game (great though it is). Plus the DeHacked issue.

Personally, I don't really get the whole wadsmoosh thing either. I mean, I get that it's cool to be able to do it and that it (IMO) fills a real "I wonder if it's possible" niche in the Doom modding universe (and I recognise it as quite an achievement) but beyond that, I see no real practical advantage to it. Quite rightly, you already have to have all the IWADs before you can construct a WADSmooshed one, if you want to start a new game (Doom to Doom2 to TNT to whatever...) you have to go back to the top menu anyway (so why not back to the game launcher?) and it introduces some incompatibilities. It's just a novelty IMO, a pretty cool one, but that's it.
Very true, although i'm making so you can play through all episodes in one go, without having to go to the top menu, this will eventually be included.

That way, even if it is "unofficial", it will be the COMPLETE Doom story package, all in one.
Ryuhi

Post by Ryuhi »

there are a few design decisions i disagree with, but this is a really fun take on D64 as a demake to doom2. I also appreciate the way that a few secrets have been "adapted" to fit into seemingly unrelated secrets from the original game. Also really like that it has a few definitions for stuff like nightmare imps, threw me off guard with a monster mod in a good way.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Mynameislol wrote:Very true, although i'm making so you can play through all episodes in one go, without having to go to the top menu, this will eventually be included.
Again, fun to do and satisfying a "because I can" need (I've done it myself with Doom) but is it that useful/practical? I'm not saying don't do it or anything. Merely that it is just a novelty thing.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Enjay wrote:
Mynameislol wrote:Very true, although i'm making so you can play through all episodes in one go, without having to go to the top menu, this will eventually be included.
Again, fun to do and satisfying a "because I can" need (I've done it myself with Doom) but is it that useful/practical? I'm not saying don't do it or anything. Merely that it is just a novelty thing.
No, i suppose not. Maybe if it gets somewhat big, maybe then.
Valken

Post by Valken »

That way, even if it is "unofficial", it will be the COMPLETE Doom story package, all in one.
This would be amazing. I have all the wads incorported into a custom doom complete file now with Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Lost Episode, Lost Levels (PSX console maps), Freedoom 1 + 2 and this would just finalize it all.

The only other wish type mod from would be to make this mapset, and Final Doom into a seamless mega maps like Doomone or Memorial to ironman or coop multiplay through it.

Looking forward to it.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Valken wrote:

This would be amazing. I have all the wads incorported into a custom doom complete file now with Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Lost Episode, Lost Levels (PSX console maps), Freedoom 1 + 2 and this would just finalize it all.

The only other wish type mod from would be to make this mapset, and Final Doom into a seamless mega maps like Doomone or Memorial to ironman or coop multiplay through it.

Looking forward to it.
I'm afraid i really can't share it due to legal reasons though :/ I've incorporated everything into my doom-complete.pk3
Valken

Post by Valken »

Can you share only the modified custom content then and not any commercial content? So then we can add back our own wadsmooshed files?
PFL

Post by PFL »

I am now at level 17 and the gameplay got me. At first I was bugged by the differences a little but that's exactly the opposite now; I like the way it is and the subtle changes make the game feel like playing Doom64 for the first time again. I should know exactly what's coming but sometimes I get my ass kick. Like in Hectic for the yellow key; how easy was that part in Doom 64 but this time around, I would have kept the invulnerability sphere I used to get the secrets. Sure, it misses the gadgets/special effects of Doom 64, but the conversion is great enough not to bother and just enjoy it. And that Nightmare Caco surprised me once in The Void ... I guess that Dark Citadel felt really Doom64, visualy speaking. Overall excellent work and I wait to see what you've done with the others, especially how Breakdown turns out ...
iancer

Post by iancer »

Mynameislol wrote: I'm afraid i really can't share it due to legal reasons though :/ I've incorporated everything into my doom-complete.pk3
Valken wrote:Can you share only the modified custom content then and not any commercial content? So then we can add back our own wadsmooshed files?
Can you at least post the instructions so others can follow in your footsteps, saying you cant share while stroking your ego is pretty kidlike. How did you avoid the nightmare imp conflicting with MAP32's ending script?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

iancer wrote:saying you cant share while stroking your ego is pretty kidlike.
As much as that might be a fair point, insulting the person you're asking for help from is not exactly a good way to endear yourself to them to help you.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

all i did was copy paste copy paste until it worked, i don't know shit about anything, and i'm amazed that it even worked. there's your answer, and why i didn't bother telling anyone how i did it, and considering that 90% of the time all i do is fail, it'd be more trouble than it's worth
PFL

Post by PFL »

Well, great work on the Pitfalls, very enjoyable. As for Breakdown, I was looking forward to it and guess what I got; Doom64 in the Flesh :) I had to escape with no clipping though. I found a "cheat" in Hardcore that makes the level play very easily; I shot every Mancu from down the bottom of the start then raised up. A first time luck/guess that helped me a lot. Watch Your Step missed a second Cybie at the end at UV; something important i-m-o. Now I'm heading to Burnt Offerings I guess ...

Return to “Levels”