The Guncaster - 3.888b

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
PillowBlaster

Re: The Guncaster - 3.1

Post by PillowBlaster »

Rowsol wrote:Well you've gotten very unlucky with spawners because I find them in place of radsuits all the time, sometimes as early as map02. The point I was trying to make is that if you pistol start a level and there's just a BFG and cells on the map, if you get lucky and get a powersuit or draugh tome instead, now you have to finish the map with your fists because you don't have a BFG to use.
My luck is quite legendary-bad at this point, if my playthroughs of DRLA or other, rng-based games speaks anything.

Well, you've still got Powersuit/Draugh, which are as obscenely good in their own ways. If you need this much firepower, it might mean you are dealing with a slaughterwad - and for those you have options like corpseblast or prism laser, too. You'll eventually find another BFG spawn really fast there, anyway.
Rowsol wrote:You know, on second thought, if you just had a check in place to where the suit could only spawn if you already have the BFG that would be perfect. D4D did a similar thing with it's weapon spawning.
I don't think I can do this in a sane way. Remember that this thing is supposed to work in multi, too. If it does what I bet it does (ergo - it probably only checks for player one's inventory) - I am not going that way. I'd have to figure out checking "oh, everyone or someone has BFG now, some fellas got Powersuit while one has Draugh, here's figuring out how to prioritize spawning ratios in a way it won't make me wanna commit sudoku" and work accordingly with that. Could probably be done simpler than that, but... I dunno. Will see about it, this is something that should be handled by someone from my circle with higher expertise than me.
Rowsol wrote:Mainly I was just channeling my own change, which was to the blood replacer; dropping the actors spawned when hit from 2 to 1.
That's actually not a bad idea. I might just keep it on lower blood production by default.
Rowsol wrote:Matriarch might have the same issue as I saw
fixed problems with matriarch and strucker causing game crashes with gunzerk
in the patch notes of Dino Nerd's spinoff.
Nah, that's a different issue, which I hopefully adressed on my side now.
DemonbaneSol

Post by DemonbaneSol »

I don't know if it was intended, but on the subject of the Molten Armor thing, while I was playing through either PRCP or Plutonia 2 (I can't remember which), I ended up finding about 12 of them throughout my run, which ended in me having 520 armor. I seem to remember something similar happening in Scythe or Scythe 2 not long after, where I had 510 armor at the end of the game.

But yeah, for the Wizard's Eye, I can see it being arguably "too good" if it persisted across the entire hub in Hexen, but it's kind of saddening to find it close to the end of the segment of, say, the steel map in hub 1, and then I go back to the Seven Portals, on to the next area, and then I come back to the steel map to do the next bit of stuff only to see that I no longer have it there. I don't know how things are in Strife, as I didn't play it long enough to really see, but I did find a Wizard's Eye in it, saw that it was an inventory item, and ended up not using it, or the armor I picked up, while trying to see how many guards I could kill before dying after accidentally setting off the alarm in town. (Perhaps Air Stomp should be done with the same command as the regular, if possible? Crouch + Kick while in the air? Air Stomping while trying to jump-crouch is how I set the alarm off.)
GuntherDW

Post by GuntherDW »

Rowsol wrote:The point I was trying to make is that if you pistol start a level and there's just a BFG and cells on the map, if you get lucky and get a powersuit or draugh tome instead, now you have to finish the map with your fists because you don't have a BFG to use.
Call me crazy but I tend to always play "stealthily". I like to play with just the fists and non-noisy spells unless absolutely necessary. But then again after a couple maps you usually have enough gold for pretty devestating spells like the laser or the obliterator. Those chew through mana so it's not always reliable though.

All in all I almost never use the BFG unless it's really a slaughtermap with a ton of cyberdemons in 1 spot and I don't have access to the suit yet :P.

The "addon" to always trigger a painstate with the fists is extra lovely when taking down cyberdemons and other low pain chance monsters like mancubi/barons with your bare fists though. Especially when you don't have the draugh "wetsuit" or the full-on battlesuit yet.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

PillowBlaster wrote: Draugh killing the player -Not enough info. I need to know what he was using when he killed you as just combing through all his attacks to find a needle in a haystack is not something I look forward to.
I'm 99% sure the draugh Augur is doing this. At least that seems to be the main thing that kills you... He might have some other attack that wrecks you and I'm probably just missing it. I need to test this thing extensively, which will take a little more time. I'll report back if I find something else he does to stab you in the back when you least expect it.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Yeah, it's the augur. Quick test by summoning him, spawning the augur, and the first time he actually shot it it killed me.

Just realized the chaingun is commented out on him, that's a shame.
PillowBlaster

Post by PillowBlaster »

Rowsol wrote:Yeah, it's the augur. Quick test by summoning him, spawning the augur, and the first time he actually shot it it killed me.

Just realized the chaingun is commented out on him, that's a shame.
The impact after-effect used to damage the player, but I fixed that before release of 3.0. Why the player gets damaged by it again now?.. I think I have a clue. Probably trail does it and forgot to set damage there. Will fix it.

Commented out for a reason (speaking of getting damaged by Draugh) - if you can figure out how to make the chaingun keep firing without damaging the player (as he 'will' shoot you while following you around after being done with any monsters in vicinity and lord knows why setting it to the same species in puff to bypass the player collision does not work, even setting proper damagetype to stop that STILL doesn't do the intended thing) and not resort to some godforsaken hackery, then I'd be all happy to reinstate it.
DemonbaneSol wrote:Perhaps Air Stomp should be done with the same command as the regular, if possible? Crouch + Kick while in the air? Air Stomping while trying to jump-crouch is how I set the alarm off.
That's the reason I added the cooldown before you can stomp in the first place. And crouch + kick in midair would get even more unwieldy, I think.
Dinosaur_Nerd
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Dinosaur_Nerd »

PillowBlaster wrote: Commented out for a reason (speaking of getting damaged by Draugh) - if you can figure out how to make the chaingun keep firing without damaging the player (as he 'will' shoot you while following you around after being done with any monsters in vicinity and lord knows why setting it to the same species in puff to bypass the player collision does not work, even setting proper damagetype to stop that STILL doesn't do the intended thing) and not resort to some godforsaken hackery, then I'd be all happy to reinstate it.
I can't seem to get him to shoot me, even when I've set it so that chaingun is the ONLY ranged attack he is allowed to use, however, he is spawning BuellerCasings. Those definitely cause damage to you because their DamageType is not being changed to Draugh. Perhaps a special "DraughBuellerCasing" can be added with the Draugh DamageType forced? (Doing this seemed to work for me in fixing the damage from the spawning casings)
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

I would like to note that as of 3.5.0, dynamic lights are once again able to be turned off from the 'dynamic lights options' menu. This is a good thing if you've got all the toaster modes turned on and still lag. Turning off the lights helped my framerate tremendously in monster heavy maps.

With the lights off a few items stood out as being very dim. PurpleBonus (the 2 armor pickup) and the keys are missing 'bright' frames.

I speak on behalf of Doom, maybe someone else will find items in other games with a similar issue.

Edit: I just crashed the game, here's what the console says about it. I was in the process of reloading the ironblast when I picked up a supermag johnson. If it helps, here's a short clip https://youtu.be/-oA9s4yOj7s
Attachments
GCcrash.JPG
DemonbaneSol

Post by DemonbaneSol »

I think it's been asked before in some form, but how difficult would it be to add a sort of "flight mode", maybe with a stamina bar, that acted similarly to the Wings of Wrath from vanilla Heretic and Hexen? Maybe have the Wings items you collect or buy during normal play not only add another double jump, but also add time to the stamina bar, until the 8th one which could make it unlimited like it was in Hexen. I know the current combination of up to 8 or so jumps, plus the glide mode, plus recoil from the Ironblast, Augur, and Annihilation, and the forward flight from Meteor Fist, tends to be more than enough to handle any map from any WAD, so it'd arguably be mostly pointless in that it would only add a more convenient-to-use form of air travel with no automatic descent, but I'm curious.
comet1337

Post by comet1337 »

there's a bug regarding ledge grabbing and lifts
if a lift is moving up and you ledge grab on it and hit your head on the ceiling (say, the lift goes up a tube), you fall and are left with two fists at the bottom of your screen
fixes itself when you try to ledge grab again
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

I was amused by that quit message that referenced Trailblazer. Too bad Trailblazer doesn't have a quit message referencing Guncaster. :P
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

comet1337 wrote:there's a bug regarding ledge grabbing and lifts
if a lift is moving up and you ledge grab on it and hit your head on the ceiling (say, the lift goes up a tube), you fall and are left with two fists at the bottom of your screen
fixes itself when you try to ledge grab again
Never had a good test map for this, never had it happen, added a case to account for it anyway for next update.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

DemonbaneSol wrote:I think it's been asked before in some form, but how difficult would it be to add a sort of "flight mode", maybe with a stamina bar, that acted similarly to the Wings of Wrath from vanilla Heretic and Hexen? Maybe have the Wings items you collect or buy during normal play not only add another double jump, but also add time to the stamina bar, until the 8th one which could make it unlimited like it was in Hexen. I know the current combination of up to 8 or so jumps, plus the glide mode, plus recoil from the Ironblast, Augur, and Annihilation, and the forward flight from Meteor Fist, tends to be more than enough to handle any map from any WAD, so it'd arguably be mostly pointless in that it would only add a more convenient-to-use form of air travel with no automatic descent, but I'm curious.
Yeah I remember a while back I've asking about it myself. I still want ability to just smoothly levitate like you could do in Heretic\Hexen. Before Meteor First with rapid mana regeneration optional mode was even inmplemented, you couldn't even beat certain heretic mod maps with insanely open area maps where mapper specifically wanted you to fly from one wings of wrath to another, even with 8 or so jumps you never could make it to the other point, making mod unbeatable.
Tesculpture

Post by Tesculpture »

The tomed Thunderstruck spell seems to freeze the game if it auto-attacks an enemy when you have insufficient mana to pay for the firing. Aside from the Vanguard map-pack and DamNums, I didn't have any other mods on at the time.

Also, although it's kind of an unlikely during normal gameplay problem: If you have Shootable Dynamite on, and you try, while gunzerking, to throw two dynamites at the exact same time, the dynamite projectiles collide as soon as they spawn and blow up in your face.
WolfMann

Post by WolfMann »

Sooo.... I downloaded this mod with great hopes.... and got the same blood problem.
BUT (and it's a big but) I have noticed that the blood mod is on......... just toned down by a fuckton or only shows up if the enemy blows up to smitherens.
Anyway, I'll return to my bloodless game. ;-;

Edit: I am not hating on this game. THIS GAME IS the very definition of badassery all packed in less than 100 megabytes.
Also the Hello my Baby thing cracked me up.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”