Thoughts on school

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Enjay

Re: Thoughts on school

Post by Enjay »

Rachael wrote:In the end I think it's better to make education compulsory. Look to America for a good example of what happens when it's even slightly substandard... we really don't need that getting any worse.

Some children may not like it - and that's perfectly normal. But they'll be thankful for it in the end.
I agree and, to quote John Green:
Public education does not exist for the benefit of students or the benefit of their parents. It exists for the benefit of the social order.

We have discovered as a species that it is useful to have an educated population. You do not need to be a student or have a child who is a student to benefit from public education. Every second of every day of your life, you benefit from public education.

So let me explain why I like to pay taxes for schools, even though I don't personally have a kid in school: It's because I don't like living in a country with a bunch of stupid people.
I think the last line should be "uneducated" or "ignorant" rather than "stupid" but, basically, it works.

I agree that all people should be educated - or certainly have access to education - and some (the ones likely to be the biggest problem if they didn't get an education) would duck out of it if they could (some still effectively do) but the fact that you are compelled to be educated is a still bit weird to me.

NeuralStunner wrote:Just like properly feeding them is compulsory. And proper discipline should be, too.*
Obviously, education can (and probably should) be considered part of child welfare but I still have a gut feeling that there is something odd about forcing a person to attend something they don't want to do for over a decade. I know it's not fully logically thought through, it just irritates me somehow at a fundamental level and I'm not even sure why.
Rachael wrote:I know some younger folks are going to hate me for saying this - but trust and believe, that like every other adult, I was a kid once...
Your post reminds me of one of my favourite quotes (often attributed to Mark Twain, but almost certainly not by him):
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Enjay wrote: In the UK, I think Tony Blair's policy of trying to get 50% of school pupils to university is at least partly to blame. I never understood the logic of that one. I mean, most jobs do not need a degree level of education and many people will not want, or particularly benefit from, spending 4+ years at uni to come out and walk into the same job as they could have done 10 years earlier with normal high-school qualifications. All that's happened is they have delayed the day when they start actually earning money. There's nothing wrong with leaving school and not going on to further education if it's the right thing for you and you still have a positive destination.
As said one of my lecturer in mathematics
You will not need this (point to the blackboard with explanations of curve integral) in you day life. This even rarely will need you in/at you work. Because most answers that you need already solved by people before you, and those that not solved can be solved by computer.
But it is necessary so that you brain learned to think. Because if you cant think computer cant solve you question, since you can give to it wrong data, like kilogramms insted of meters or square root from temperature insted of distance between two points.
And besides...
Next there are a short description of how from math get electrical network analysis, which I forgot and which is no one is really interested.
I think you understand main idea.
crazyflyingdonut
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by crazyflyingdonut »

I did not expect a topic that I started to be filled with famous quotes at this point. May I have this thread locked please?
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

When you start a topic, expect other people to talk in it. The thread will remain unlocked.

8-)
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

crazyflyingdonut wrote:I did not expect a topic that I started to be filled with famous quotes at this point. May I have this thread locked please?
No.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

crazyflyingdonut wrote:May I have this thread locked please?
Had you said nothing it likely would've faded into irrelevancy anyway.
crazyflyingdonut

Fine, I might as well join in on the quotes, but reflecting on how I feel about this situation.
"Uuuh, this sucks" -Duke Nukem
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You might not like it, but the forums are not here for you. They are here for everyone. You are a part of this community, and that is the account to which you will be held.

This is not the only place that operates that way. In fact, very few places operate any differently in that respect. If you don't like the way moderators do things, or if you disagree with their decisions, the only real thing you can do is cut back in your participation. But otherwise, that decision which you don't like is final.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

What I find interesting is that OP is the only person who doesn't like where their own thread is going. I wonder if they expected us to all agree about how much school sucks? :?
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Well, to be fair, I said high school sucked, but college was better for me (despite some of the dumb choices I made there) :P
crazyflyingdonut

wildweasel wrote:What I find interesting is that OP is the only person who doesn't like where their own thread is going. I wonder if they expected us to all agree about how much school sucks? :?
I don't know... I feel like I should not have started this thread, even though I had no idea it would end up like this back when I wrote it...
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

I don't really understand why you want it closed. It's spawned a good discussion.
crazyflyingdonut

wildweasel wrote:I don't really understand why you want it closed. It's spawned a good discussion.
I really need to think before I do things, I really do...
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I think it's a good topic, and a good discussion. It is nice to see that everyone is convinced how much school sucks :D
crazyflyingdonut

Reactor wrote:I think it's a good topic, and a good discussion. It is nice to see that everyone is convinced how much school sucks :D
People tell me in real life that I need to think before I do things. And they are right, because I do a lot of stupid shit that I end up regretting. Starting this thread is one of them. I'm starting to believe them when they say that I need to think before I do things, because look at the mess I just made.

Return to “Off-Topic”