[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
iamcarrotmaster

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Post by iamcarrotmaster »

Captain J wrote:Still looks undoubtedly same, tho. Also this whole situation kinda reminds me of Ion Maiden's... Hahahah, but can we just wait until the original game comes out?

I know you guys did best making those weapons to give tribute and whatnot. But to me, it's like ruining the whole fun of waiting for the game and makes me difficult to imagine what original weapon feels like in the game.
Its all in good fun
simploo
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by simploo »

iamcarrotmaster wrote:Its all in good fun
Your work looks awesome, and I for one wouldn't mind using them to blast demons in anticipation for DOOM Eternal.

Also, in line of DOOM Eternal stuff.

jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

wildweasel wrote:
IMX wrote:In a semi-desperate need to unrust myself. A quick and dirty rip of Eternal's SSG.
At least wait for the game to be released, first. This has always struck me as bad juju. :?
Is that a bad thing in some way? I was thinking about ripping some weapons from the videos myself too, but your post left me wondering if we are doing something wrong (specially since we're not butchering the actual game content directly from the source files, but rather editing screenshots captured from a public released video).
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

jdredalert wrote:
wildweasel wrote:
IMX wrote:In a semi-desperate need to unrust myself. A quick and dirty rip of Eternal's SSG.
At least wait for the game to be released, first. This has always struck me as bad juju. :?
Is that a bad thing in some way? I was thinking about ripping some weapons from the videos myself too, but your post left me wondering if we are doing something wrong (specially since we're not butchering the actual game content directly from the source files, but rather editing screenshots captured from a public released video).
I guess I can't really offer anything besides gut feelings, since I really don't want to "be the admin" about it today. It's cool that you guys are doing your thing, putting your spin on these new and exciting things that they've shown us. But I kinda feel like, the reveal only happened last week, and I've definitely seen it happen a few times that artists are upset that their work is already being ripped and edited before their project has become available to play.

Maybe my perspective is just too dated. The internet moves fast and all that. At this point I don't think I should be telling anybody to stop. I just don't want the people who made these nice things to suddenly tell us that they won't show us the nice things anymore.
Assassin of Purity

Post by Assassin of Purity »

I smell an Eternal mod cooking up.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Vostyok »

Better to err on caution. Id software have always been pretty open to modding and editing of their published content (I'd still like to know what they think of the zdoom version of quake champions. Eek!) Hopefully no one gets too sore about stuff being ripped that isn't even released yet. I know a few people who REALLY don't appreciate it...
jdredalert

Post by jdredalert »

wildweasel wrote: [...]But I kinda feel like, the reveal only happened last week, and I've definitely seen it happen a few times that artists are upset that their work is already being ripped and edited before their project has become available to play.

Maybe my perspective is just too dated. The internet moves fast and all that. At this point I don't think I should be telling anybody to stop. I just don't want the people who made these nice things to suddenly tell us that they won't show us the nice things anymore.

I understand your feelings. Although i don't think ripping the video would be unethical (or at least, would be as unethical as ripping stuff from games as we always did), i can understand that some people iD or Bethsoft may or may not be upset about a Doom Eternal mod coming out before the actual game, and that's a risk we should avoid. So no sprite sheets based on footage by myself for now.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

wildweasel wrote:I guess I can't really offer anything besides gut feelings, since I really don't want to "be the admin" about it today. It's cool that you guys are doing your thing, putting your spin on these new and exciting things that they've shown us. But I kinda feel like, the reveal only happened last week, and I've definitely seen it happen a few times that artists are upset that their work is already being ripped and edited before their project has become available to play.

You sir, you just said everything i sincerely feel about such sprites. I mean, don't get me wrong. I don't hate nor trying to force them to take them down or something. Sprites are sprites, made from their hands, effort and needs to be liked for encouragement. However i sometimes feel awkward because Weasel mentioned quote; some artists or the developers themselves would get unintentionally upset about this.

My feel goes same for Weasel, however i respect your works nonetheless. I just hope they never get upset or anything.
Skelegant
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Skelegant »

Rips are ok but crappy vanilla edits are still my fave lol

Clay

Post by Clay »

I feel mostly the same. My first experience with this was ripping a frame from a Scorn weapon. Something felt wrong about it and I posted it anyways. I was made to feel like shit about for good reason. Needless to say I deleted it. It just seems wrong as hell even if I cannot fully justify why. I have had designs stolen from me before and the thieves made hundreds of thousands (2 inventions I made) and they even credited me...which....is just horrible.

A good secondary reason for me is that I would just rip the model and have MUCH less work to do anyways. With my render pipeline it would turn out great anyways. I do think you guys need to chill. Do it if you want to but don't involve the rest of us..keep it to yourselves please.

With that said, we should either stop this or start another thread to discuss the do's and don'ts, if need be. Not trying to moderate. I just think it seems logical.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Skelegant wrote:Rips are ok but crappy vanilla edits are still my fave lol
Haha. Not so crappy. Nice job man!
iamcarrotmaster

Also did the shotgun...
Attachments
Doom-Eternal-Combat-Shotgun-Scaled.png
Doom-Eternal-Combat-Shotgun-Scaled.png (16.85 KiB) Viewed 781 times
iamcarrotmaster

...and the rocket launcher
Attachments
Doom-Eternal-rocket-launcher-polished.png
Doom-Eternal-rocket-launcher-polished.png (30.67 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Assassin of Purity

Post by Assassin of Purity »

Eternal mod coming.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Make it wide-screen friendly, maybe?

Return to “General”