Hellshots Golf v1.1 - puttering around

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [wib] golf

Post by Captain J »

ooooooo bogey bogey boogie. I really like the concept of pinning down the enemies with your trusty 9 iron. Play tested it once, and now i can see it.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Got to streamline a lot of the code. Whoo.
Can't figure out how to un-sticky the camera turning on and off. Not a super game-breaking issue, though, just really damn unpleasant to wrestle with.

Another map by Batandy. We can be hip and cool and retro with our 8-bit Super Nintendo graphics.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Hooh, please don't tell me those falling barrels will affect your golf balls' velocity? Anyway we eventually get stuck by some code errors and its complexity. Hope you overcome all of them!
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

The golf balls can bump into the barrels and get knocked away, yeah. But even trying intentionally to hit them is very difficult, so I don't think it'll be much of an issue.
Kyotra

Post by Kyotra »

TerminusEst13 wrote:[wib]
worg in brogress:DDD?
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Kyotra wrote:
TerminusEst13 wrote:[wib]
worg in brogress:DDD?
I was wondering if someone would notice that!
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

A new HUD, as done by SmashBroPlusB and TFrancoo/FranArt. Still need to replace the confont at the bottom.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Finally, some fine place to golf. But better watch out those bogey trees.
snarkel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by snarkel »

Yo! I had about an hour long golf session with some friends using the version you shared on last nights stream! Loads of fun! Anyways, feedback time. We didn't run into too many issues surprisingly. The only thing I really noticed was issues with the free cam mode and some weird glitchyness if your ball ends up on a ledge. Like being able to golf from out of bounds or hitting your ball from above only for it to hit the wall below you. It can get especially messy on that par 22 map (forgot the name, sorry!). Other than that though, it went pretty smoothly. Keep it up! I may have a few more cracks at it later as well, so i'll let you know about any other strangeness should it crop up.

EDIT: Another bug. If someone somehow dies while shooting the paint gun, the sound continues playing forever until the map changes. It almost sounds like a gas leak nearby lmao.
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
snarkel wrote:The only thing I really noticed was issues with the free cam mode and some weird glitchyness if your ball ends up on a ledge. Like being able to golf from out of bounds or hitting your ball from above only for it to hit the wall below you. It can get especially messy on that par 22 map (forgot the name, sorry!).
This is an engine limitation, unfortunately. The ball is much smaller in its hitbox than the player is, so when the player teleports to the ball's position, if they go into a place where their hitbox doesn't match up with the ball's... Well, weird stuff happens.
It's a side effect of working with Doom """"Physics"""". I could probably take care of it with ZScript, but then we wouldn't have delicious Zandronum support.
snarkel wrote:EDIT: Another bug. If someone somehow dies while shooting the paint gun, the sound continues playing forever until the map changes. It almost sounds like a gas leak nearby lmao.
Will fix, thank you!
snarkel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by snarkel »

Sorry for another reply but uh...I had another run with some friends and some Ace's might need to be adjusted! I got 6 on Masters of Doom and a friend of mine thinks it might be possible to get it in 3. He got extremely close but had to do an extra slop shot due to the timer. I got a pic for Ace on Masters of Doom

https://imgur.com/a/lTxoiti (slapped it on a quick imgur due to file size)

Also, just a tiny bit of feedback. While I don't have too much of a problem with it, nearly all of my friends have bitched about all of the Imps on Masters of Doom. Maybe lower the monster count just a little there?
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

TerminusEst13 wrote: A new HUD, as done by SmashBroPlusB and TFrancoo/FranArt. Still need to replace the confont at the bottom.
Wait, isn't that Rome in the pic?
woahpotato

Post by woahpotato »

man, i can't wait to play this
i never expected doom to turn into a golf simulator, but here it is
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Awesome :)
TerminusEst13

Post by TerminusEst13 »

snarkel wrote:Sorry for another reply but uh...I had another run with some friends and some Ace's might need to be adjusted! I got 6 on Masters of Doom and a friend of mine thinks it might be possible to get it in 3. He got extremely close but had to do an extra slop shot due to the timer. I got a pic for Ace on Masters of Doom

https://imgur.com/a/lTxoiti (slapped it on a quick imgur due to file size)

Also, just a tiny bit of feedback. While I don't have too much of a problem with it, nearly all of my friends have bitched about all of the Imps on Masters of Doom. Maybe lower the monster count just a little there?
Will update those, thanks.
And sure, I'll reduce the monster count a touch.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”