[v2.9.1] CHAMPIONS [update 09/03/21]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gorec

Re: [v2.2] CHAMPIONS - Multicoloured Death Awaits!

Post by Gorec »

ive got an issue - i never seen any mutation of the champions even when i set the chance to max,im using gzdoom 3.4.1 and 3.3.2 with no other mods but still nothing
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

There was a small typo in 2.2 that unintentionally disabled the Mutations. This has been fixed in the next version
ErrantMasa
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by ErrantMasa »

Ah, so that's why no muties appeared! lookin' forward to 2.3! Anything new and interesting coming soon?
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

Not particularly, mostly just fixes and optimisations. I've hit a bit of a wall when it comes to new content with Champions
AvzinElkein

Post by AvzinElkein »

Mikk- wrote:Not particularly, mostly just fixes and optimisations. I've hit a bit of a wall when it comes to new content with Champions
Ah, okay. I was gonna suggest having a special option for Guncaster; Champions will drop additional gold if using Guncaster and Champions.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

I could think of a couple of extra champion types:
>> When it dies for the first time, it ressurects and goes Black.
>> It is completely silent, and has the spectre blur effect.
>> Whenever it fires a projectile, it fires three times in rapid succession side by side (i.e. spawns extra projectiles... probably ludicrously dangerous on a Mancubus or Cybie, and on Chaingunners... maybe make each projectile 1/2 the damage)
>> It has no-clip and hears the entire level, pursuing the player unnerringly the second they make a sound the first time.
>> Its projectiles fly twice as fast.
>> It can fly like a Caco (probably a bit hilarious in some cases).

You'd have to use some strange colours though I'm sure.

Also, a combo mode, like some Diablo elites have, where they can have multiple Champion properties at the same time?

Don't know how viable all these are to code, mind you.
Mikk-

Post by Mikk- »

some of these ideas are actually really good! I've been thinking about a "combo mode" where there's a small % chance that a champion has a second additional champion status. I'll see what I can whip up when I next work on Champions.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Mikk- wrote:some of these ideas are actually really good! I've been thinking about a "combo mode" where there's a small % chance that a champion has a second additional champion status. I'll see what I can whip up when I next work on Champions.
Glad you like them. Teleporting Triple-Fire Cyberdemons are a horrifying thought though.
namsan
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by namsan »

Combo mode sounds very interesting and fun. It would create some very nasty enemies :-)

I was brainstorming some champion types.
>> It buffs movement speed of enemies around.
>> It can summon flying weak turrets. Turrets can fire weak projectiles but can easily be destroyed.
>> It can summon multiple shield spheres around itself. Shield sphere can take projectiles or hitscan bullets. Hit points of shield spheres are relative to hit points of monster.
>> When it dies, it will make spreading pool of poison from where it was killed.
>> it can periodically throw bombs into player. Explosions from bombs harm player but heal monsters.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Just found a crash to console glitch that occurs when an archvile tries to ressurect a dead indigo enemy:

Obviously I had no idea what caused it initially, but fortunately I quicksaved just prior to the crash, so in the third re-try I rushed around the corner to find an Archie that had just spawned. Killed it this time before it could do ressurection shenanigans. There was a dead pair of indigo shotgunners right at its feet.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

IdiotBitz wrote:i believe i've got a fix for the guncaster problem.
Spoiler:
But there's also a zscript/champions/baseclass.txt file, where are such lines:

Code: Select all

static const name champion_icons[] =
			{
			"ICONA0", "ICONB0", "ICONC0", 
			"ICOND0", "ICONE0", "ICONF0", 
			"ICONG0", "ICONH0", "ICONI0", 
			"ICONJ0", "ICONK0", "ICONL0", 
			"ICONM0", "ICONN0", "ICONO0",
			"ICONP0", "ICONQ0"
			};
I believe they should also be changed in appropriate way (ICON->MCON in this case).
eharper256 wrote:Just found a crash to console glitch that occurs when an archvile tries to ressurect a dead indigo enemy:
Spoiler:
Obviously I had no idea what caused it initially, but fortunately I quicksaved just prior to the crash, so in the third re-try I rushed around the corner to find an Archie that had just spawned. Killed it this time before it could do ressurection shenanigans. There was a dead pair of indigo shotgunners right at its feet.
This problem is a serious bug with EventHandlers.
There are this (let's call this A):

Override void WorldThingRevived(WorldEvent e)
		{
		// if e.Thing is an Indigo Clone
		if(e.Thing && e.Thing.CountInv("champion_NullToken"))
			{
			e.Thing.A_SpawnItemEx("ArchvileFire");
			e.Thing.Destroy();
			}
... and this (let's call this B):

Override void WorldThingSpawned(WorldEvent e)
		{
		if(missilecolour && e.Thing is "ArchvileFire" && e.Thing.Target.CountInv("champion_PersistentInfo"))
			{
			e.Thing.A_SetRenderstyle(e.Thing.Alpha,STYLE_TRANSLUCENT);
			e.Thing.Translation = e.Thing.Target.Translation;
			e.Thing.Alpha = 0.66;
			}
So, in 'A' we spawn ArchvileFire using the lying Clone body as the "source" (target). Then immediately we destroy that body (delete the object, free the memory).
And then in 'B' we are trying to deal with the newly spawned ArchvileFire, and then... e.Thing.Target.CountInv("champion_PersistentInfo") leads us to a null pointer (since we have deleted the 'Target' - that blue corpse - already).

If anyone is interested, I have fixed that. I allowed the Archvile to resurrect blue minions, and also I have fixed the minor bug where blue minions couldn't inherit blood/projectile colors properly. And Guncaster compatibility is aslo applied.
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/5amm54y0a ... D.pk3/file

P.S.: TBH I don't know how to forbid the Archvile to resurrect specific actors (for example, blue minions) without editing the Archvile code or monsters behavior. I didn't want to change original code much, so just allowed Archvile to resurrect little ones :)

P.P.S.: I love this little mod! And Gncaster 3.1 too :D
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Thanks for that fixed version Mere_Duke, that's helpful whilst Mikk is working on the next version.
Accensus

Post by Accensus »

Sorry for bad quality, screenshotted it from a stream. Can't say how it happened exactly cause I wasn't watching at that particular moment. It was really random, though, didn't happen for over 10 maps of a slaughterwad with 1200 monsters each.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

Lud wrote:

Sorry for bad quality, screenshotted it from a stream. Can't say how it happened exactly cause I wasn't watching at that particular moment. It was really random, though, didn't happen for over 10 maps of a slaughterwad with 1200 monsters each.
i disabled every option that has something to do with enemy or projectiles(but not enemy color) so i dont have any bugs
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

Gorec wrote:
Lud wrote:

i disabled every option that has something to do with enemy or projectiles(but not enemy color) so i dont have any bugs
A post like this helps nobody.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”