Large disappearing models - still disappearing?

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
Enjay

Large disappearing models - still disappearing?

Post by Enjay »

I thought I'd read somewhere that the issue with large models disappearing if the sector that the actor is in isn't in the field of view had been addressed somehow. However, I was just messing around with a model - a railway carriage - and it kept vanishing as I looked away from the sector it was sitting in.

Obviously, a railway carriage is a long, thin structure, so it needs to be placed carefully with appropriate steps taken to ensure it doesn't vanish in the way that this one was doing. I know how to do that, so if it still needs to be done the traditional way (ensuring the containing sector is always in view when the model should be - even if it involves chopping up the sector into little bits and placing it strategically around the model), that's fine, I can do it. I just had this strange feeling that this should no longer be an issue. Dunno why.

Did I imagine it, of has this been addressed somehow on the engine side? If it has been addressed, I'll raise a bug report with an appropriate example. If it hasn't, then so be it; things are working as they should be.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Large disappearing models - still disappearing?

Post by Rachael »

Yes, this has been addressed engine-side but will require some manual tweaking on your part.

You will have to set a higher RenderRadius to take advantage of it if Radius is not doing enough by itself.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oooh, excellent. Thank you kindly. :)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Sure thing. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oh my goodness! It works like a charm and also means dynamic lights interact with the actor so much better too. Amazing improvement!
ReX

Post by ReX »

@ Enjay & Rachael: I take it that Ed the Bat should be using this special for the relevant models in Paranoix?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I'd be very surprised if he isn't, already. He's usually very much on top of things like this.
Tormentor667

Post by Tormentor667 »

Awesome since when is this in?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It's been in since early 2017, possibly late 2016, just before ZDoom's development was dropped.
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

Did some tests today with RenderRadius, and well disappear issue is no more, but I also have to check carefully which actor needs it or not.
I can't simply apply the property on a base class, that seems to smack down the performance on my end.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

What happens is, when RenderRadius is active, it links the object to every adjacent subsector within the range of the RenderRadius - so if there's a ton of sectors and a huge radius, it takes a lot of processing to handle the object.

Return to “General”