hexenarmor working

Ask about ACS, DECORATE, ZScript, or any other scripting questions here!

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Before asking on how to use a ZDoom feature, read the ZDoom wiki first. If you still don't understand how to use a feature, then ask here.

Please bear in mind that the people helping you do not automatically know how much you know. You may be asked to upload your project file to look at. Don't be afraid to ask questions about what things mean, but also please be patient with the people trying to help you. (And helpers, please be patient with the person you're trying to help!)
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

hexenarmor working

Post by ramon.dexter »

So, how does HexenArmor EXACTLY work? The wiki is little bit un-informative on this topic, saying only that making new items is not possible and player has to rely on the predefined ones, or make new inhereting from artipowerboost.
But, we have zscript, so I think it should be possible to extend or modify this.
Or, is the working of HexenArmor hard-coded?
Arctangent

Re: hexenarmor working

Post by Arctangent »

I'm just going to leave the ZScript file for armor here, which includes HexenArmor at the bottom. Explaining it is heavily dependent on how much you understand how Hexen armor system works, how much you understand how armor is implemented in ZDoom, and how much you understand ZDoom's inventory system, period, and starting from the beginning would be a pretty major undertaking, so I feel like pointing at where you can do your research will be a lot easier than struggling to find the actual starting point you need to understand necessary concepts for this.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Two words: Black magic.
This one of those things which are conceptionally so weird that few people have been able to fully comprehend it.
Gez

Post by Gez »

ramon.dexter wrote:But, we have zscript, so I think it should be possible to extend or modify this.
You can basically duplicate how HexenArmor works to make a different kind of slotted armor system.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

arctangent: Thanks, I was looking for this. Well, looks like the easiest way would be to create new items by inheriting the hexen slooted items.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Nope, that wouldn't be the easiest way, because AddArmorToSlot cannot be overridden.

So you have to create a CustomSlottedArmor class with a copy of the code from HexenArmor instead.
neoworm

Post by neoworm »

I was thinking about replacing the whole HeXen armor system with straight up RPG armor slots. Each would have different armor rating, elemental resistances and some special ability like using Heretic +GHOST tag while equipped. And they would not deteriorate at all. You would have to mix and match randomized armor parts found levels to get desired effect. But it would need a proper inventory system which is way over my abilities.

Return to “Scripting”