The Inquisitor 3D v1.4

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zan

Re: The Inquisitor III

Post by Zan »

Damn, nice, can't wait to give it another run!

*edit: I could never play Diablo for over a few minutes, so the ost felt new to ne in Inquisitor 3. I associate it with it now, which is kinda funny, but I think it's perfect, so I'd say keep it.
Last edited by Zan on Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Stalvern

Post by John Stalvern »

Shadowman wrote:The Inquisitor 3 will be updated to "The Inquisitor 3D".
Among new additions there will be lots of 3D-models for different objects, new shops' and dialogues' system, as well as some gameplay modification.
However, there is a question concerning wad's music. According to /newstuff chronicles on Doomworld, "INQSTR3 is dripping with atmosphere. Some of it is stolen from Diablo II's soundtrack". Yes, Diablo 1-2 OST is creating a strong atmosphere for the wad, and its replacement would change game's perception. What do you think - should music be changed at the cost of losing loss of significant amount of wad's atmosphere?
Speaking purely about my personal opinion and not about any rules of this forum/copyright, etc., I think the music as-is is a very important part of this wad, and I think that atmosphere is this wad's greatest asset. I think your team used a lot of second-hand resources to make something superior to the sum of its pieces. I couldn't imagine the Old Church or the wilderness without the Diablo soundtrack.

I think the wad is already pretty much perfect "as-is," but I will be intrigued to see what modifications you saw as necessary.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Shadowman wrote:The Inquisitor 3 will be updated to "The Inquisitor 3D".
Among new additions there will be lots of 3D-models for different objects, new shops' and dialogues' system, as well as some gameplay modification.
However, there is a question concerning wad's music. According to /newstuff chronicles on Doomworld, "INQSTR3 is dripping with atmosphere. Some of it is stolen from Diablo II's soundtrack". Yes, Diablo 1-2 OST is creating a strong atmosphere for the wad, and its replacement would change game's perception. What do you think - should music be changed at the cost of losing loss of significant amount of wad's atmosphere?
Ignore the folks at DW, some of them have a habit of whining about resource rips. (even coming over here to do it a few years ago)
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

The Ultimate DooMer wrote: Ignore the folks at DW, some of them have a habit of whining about resource rips. (even coming over here to do it a few years ago)
Thank you, we will do it most likely ). It's hard to find music to replace Diablo OST.
Zan

Post by Zan »

Shadowman wrote:
The Ultimate DooMer wrote: Ignore the folks at DW, some of them have a habit of whining about resource rips. (even coming over here to do it a few years ago)
Thank you, we will do it most likely ). It's hard to find music to replace Diablo OST.
I think some Might & Magic music might be able to fit the vibe, but yeah, the current Diablo OST feels very good.
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Are there any place on the internets where you discuss making this 3d version? Iddqd ru? Something? If so, give me the link, please.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Mere_Duke wrote:Are there any place on the internets where you discuss making this 3d version? Iddqd ru? Something? If so, give me the link, please.
No, the project changes are not discussed on the forums. I sent you a private message.
kmxexii

Post by kmxexii »

Shadowman wrote:However, there is a question concerning wad's music. According to /newstuff chronicles on Doomworld, "INQSTR3 is dripping with atmosphere. Some of it is stolen from Diablo II's soundtrack". Yes, Diablo 1-2 OST is creating a strong atmosphere for the wad, and its replacement would change game's perception. What do you think - should music be changed at the cost of losing loss of significant amount of wad's atmosphere?
I wrote that as a really blunt way of reiterating that INQSTR3 draws heavily from Diablo II. Just dropping in the music adds so much, especially with INQSTR3's slower pace and immersive environments. I suppose that I could have wrote "borrowed" instead of "stolen" but it feels like the right word because it's such a simple addition compared to the staggering amount of work that must have gone into the release and yet it adds so much to the finished piece that it almost feels like cheating. It's definitely the right element for the job, though, considering how much of the mod feels like a Diablo II love letter. I don't care about the legal quandaries involved in using its OST and I also remember a time when all of its music tracks (plus some interesting outtakes) were available to freely download off Blizzard's own website. I personally would not bother looking for inferior stand-ins.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

"The Inquisitor III" now is upgraded to "The Inquisitor 3d"!
The wad has been significantly improved in 2017–2018. I express my deep gratitude to Guest for the idea of improving the WAD and the work (especially on creating 3D models) that he has done for this.
The main changes are:
- many sprite objects were replaced by 3d models;
- the visual effects of 'Hellfire' and 'Flame Rain' spells;
- a new 'Homing Arrow' spell;
- new shops;
- the requirements for learning a number of spells and wearing armor;
- the ability to use mana cubes and Crater of Might by pressing the 'Reload' key (if the selected weapon takes mana);
- dialogue system (graphics and settings);
- additional menu for language selection and displaying markers on maps;
- information about quest items and keys has been added to the quest journal;
- method of using artifacts and taking ammo;
- parameters of some monsters (resistance to different types of damage, health, etc.)
- map 03 has been divided into two maps (03 and 12);
- fixed some bugs.

By default, J button - quest journal, P - shows hero's characteristics, M - opens menu with defensive spells, T - casts chosen defensive spell.
You can customize hotkeys for 6 most important things in your inventory (healing potions and items that do damage to the monsters). Mana cubes and Crater of Might can be used by 'Reload' key. In control menu you can choose the language (English/Russian) and set markers on maps to be 'on'/'off'.

Command line for playing the game is:
gzdoom.exe -file inq3res.pk3 inqstr3d.wad

Download The Inquisitor 3d from Yandex-disk

Alternative link:
https://www.file-up.org/gh9pig3nd68s
John Stalvern

Re: The Inquisitor 3D

Post by John Stalvern »

I have started a new game and played up to the catacombs. I like most of the improvements, particularly in the menus, shops, and dialogues. The gameplay feels a bit easier to me, but I don't know how significant the changes are to the mechanics. Little details like the sunflower field in Trystan and the ringing sounds in the blacksmith's forge are welcome additions. And you can repair armor :D

One thing I admit I could never discover was how to access the secret levels- any chance you're willing to give a hint?
Zan

Post by Zan »

John Stalvern wrote:I have started a new game and played up to the catacombs. I like most of the improvements, particularly in the menus, shops, and dialogues. The gameplay feels a bit easier to me, but I don't know how significant the changes are to the mechanics. Little details like the sunflower field in Trystan and the ringing sounds in the blacksmith's forge are welcome additions. And you can repair armor :D

One thing I admit I could never discover was how to access the secret levels- any chance you're willing to give a hint?
The Wolfenstein level (not sure if there is any other one) you get from sleeping at the mansion's inn (the human base you find later on).
Ozymandias81
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Ozymandias81 »

I really like new additions, models fits well but may use some tweaks / polishment such as DistanceCheck and poly reduction (there is a Harness that has 7000+ vertices, where the one used on Blade of Agony comes from Return To Castle Wolfenstein and which uses just 600v 482f, you can use it if you want just credit me, and btw it has embedded skins :) )... If I had some time I could have help, mainly for models polishment and conversion (I always think that models should be all of the same kind, once instead I can see that i3D uses dmd, md2 and md3 together).

About DistanceCheck I am saying this because I have sensible slowdowns in the city at the very start with GZDoom 3.7.2.

Also idk if you used dummy entries to define models "sprites", like these, so defining one sprite that can be seen on GZDB and also apply it for any kind amount of anims needed without using things like existing multiple sprites or UNKN frames.
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

Ozymandias81 wrote:I really like new additions, models fits well but may use some tweaks / polishment such as DistanceCheck and poly reduction (there is a Harness that has 7000+ vertices, where the one used on Blade of Agony comes from Return To Castle Wolfenstein and which uses just 600v 482f, you can use it if you want just credit me, and btw it has embedded skins :) )... If I had some time I could have help, mainly for models polishment and conversion (I always think that models should be all of the same kind, once instead I can see that i3D uses dmd, md2 and md3 together)
Thanks for the model - we will take it (and add you to the credits).
Different model formats are simply explained - dmd and md2 are old models that were taken without any changes. Yes, and they are quite a bit. Is there a drawback when using different formats of models?
Shadowman

Post by Shadowman »

And what about DistanceCheck? The link goes to the description of the the actors' properties from zdoom wiki. Can I forcefully disable model loading at large distances? Or are there any tricks with models that increase productivity?

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”