GZDoom has become extremly laggy

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.
Xim

GZDoom has become extremly laggy

Post by Xim »

When I first got GZDoom on my new PC it was unplayably laggy, like the loading wipe screen took almost a minute. I ran a windows update and then it worked fine. I updated my graphics drivers in an attempt to get another game working which didn't work either. And now GZDoom has become extremely laggy again. And now another game's graphics won't load properly and GZDoom has gone back to being super laggy. Any solutions other than just taking my PC back because it's been frustrating me every single day that I've had it?

Oh yeah here are my PC's specs
processor:intel(R) core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40ghz
8.00 gb of ram
windows 10 pro, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: GZDoom has become extremly laggy

Post by Kinsie »

Your GPU is missing here.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It cannot be the CPU - I got the same one. But from the description it sounds like there's some deeper issue at play here.
What's your graphics card?
Xim

Post by Xim »

I haven't gotten an actual graphics card yet. I'm just using the on-board processor one for now. Device manager just says it's "intel(r) HD graphics 4000". I just don't understand why it previously worked and now it doesn't. Is it just going to buggy like this until I get an actual card?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's hard to say. While an Intel HD 4000 is not the fastest thing around, when I last tested it performance was decent, but not great. Certainly not laggy.
Can you run Doom 2's MAP01, enter "stat rendertimes" at the console and make a screenshot?

Post by Guest »

I can barely even get the map opened. I'll try it once I get home from work. Appreciate the help so far.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Are you sure you have the proper drivers installed? This almost sounds like OpenGL is falling back on some software implementation somewhere.
lil'devil

Post by lil'devil »

I had the same problem when GZDoom 3.0.0. was released, because it used the new OpenGL version. The issue was that Windows didn't provide new drivers for my graphics card (Intel HD Graphics, integrated, without number). But when I switched to Ubuntu, it did have the new drivers, so the issue dissapeared.

Maybe you can try running in software mode or something? Because otherwise I think you'll need a new graphics card or OS.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Windows doesn't provide any usable drivers. Intel should.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by phantombeta »

Graf Zahl wrote:Windows doesn't provide any usable drivers. Intel should.
Windows does provide a fallback software-rasterizer driver AFAIK. (at least on 10)
That said, it most definitely cannot run anything OpenGL - trying to start GZDoom on it will just tell you that your OpenGL version is too low, so something else must be off here. (I tried it once right after installing Windows just to see what would happen)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

I said "usable" driver.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Okay so it took over three minutes for the game to load so I could take a screenshot... the screen shot didn't save properly. I'll try again, but I honestly think I'm fucked at this point.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Are you sure your system is running at full speed? That'S not normal.
Xim

Post by Xim »

I think my computer is running at full speed. I ran run Fallout New Vegas and Renegade X on High graphics, no lag. But this happened after I ran display driver update (that i mysteriously can't roll back).

I had to write down what it said for the stat rendertimes. Here's roughly what I got (numbers were changing a bit).

Code: Select all

BSP=0.017, CLIP=0.013
W: RENDER=0.72, SETUP=0.22
F: RENDER=0.26, SETUP=0.03
S: RENDER=0.26, SETUP=0.014
2d:3.677   FINISHED:0.088
ALL=4295.661, RENDER=0.232, SETUP=0.077, PORTAL=0.000, DRAWCALLS=0.178, FINISH=4296.014
edit: I don't know if this helps but task manager says it's using up 1.3-1.6% cpu and 176.4 mb of memory, less than Firefox.

But yeah I kind of think this is a problem with my computer and not GZDoom, so I'll understand if we can't fix the problem here. I might just have to run QZDoom in Borderless-Window'd mode if I want OpenGL. :lol:
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

CPU-wise it looks ok, but the GPU processing takes forever. How do other games fare?
BTW, GZDoom already uses a borderless fullscreen window, so QZDoom may not help here.

Return to “Technical Issues”