Sound Normalizer/Equalizer

Remember, just because you request it, that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

devilemporium

Sound Normalizer/Equalizer

Post by devilemporium »

Title basically. When using different soundfonts and playing around with mods that change sound effects, sometimes the sound levels will need to be messed around with as certain sounds such as gunshots or weapon equips will be blatantly louder than others, sometimes nearly ear shattering and forcing sound or music levels to be set down to 0.05. Same goes for soundfonts, some tracks will sound louder than others especially when using Song Packs. Only thing I can think of would be some coding that wouldn't allow any sound effects or music to go past a certain threshold, both high and low. Don't know how feasible this could be though.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Sound Normalizer/Equalizer

Post by Graf Zahl »

For music there's already a $musicvolume setting in SNDINFO because you are not the first person having issues with this.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

You can disable the volume threshold thing by adding "output-limiter = false" to the [general] section in your openal config file (~/.alsoftrc on Linux or C:\Users\<username>\Application Data\alsoft.ini on Windows).
devilemporium

Post by devilemporium »

I should be looking in gzdoom.pk3 for the SNDINFO, correct? I did ctrl+f and nothing came up for $musicvolume.

As for disabling volume threshold, that would normalize volume levels?
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Actually, it would do the opposite. Loud sounds would no longer cause all other audio to suddenly become quieter.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:You can disable the volume threshold thing by adding "output-limiter = false" to the [general] section in your openal config file (~/.alsoftrc on Linux or C:\Users\<username>\Application Data\alsoft.ini on Windows).
Note that this may not do anything since, at least on Windows, the system may apply its own volume threshold/limiter. This setting is only useful if OpenAL Soft is forced to output integer samples, or when using a system that doesn't have its own limiter.
devilemporium

Post by devilemporium »

Hmm, it's not really an issue of loud sounds making other sounds quieter. It's more that audio levels are unbalanced with some mods and soundfonts and it'd be cool to see a feature that forces loud or quiet sounds/notes/instruments/etc. to be more in line with each other.

Return to “Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”