Update XBRZ filter to 1.6?

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Update XBRZ filter to 1.6?

Post by Guest »

Hi Guys,

Love GZdoom, really appreciate all the good work everyone does to keep this game running and looking so good on modern systems!

Would it be possible to update the XBRZ filter to the latest one available from Zenju? -https://sourceforge.net/projects/xbrz/files/

Re: Update XBRZ filter to 1.6?

Post by Guest »

Just to add why, specifically to be able to use the 6xbrz filter added in recent versions.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

It's OK to update the xBRZ scaler.

However 5x and 6x modes were deliberately disabled. I think this was because of their exhaustive video memory usage.
While I see no problem with turning them on, you should convince Graf with this change.

Post by Guest »

Ah OK I see! What would convince Graf to turn them on?

I mean I have a 1080TI which presumably would be able to handle excessive video memory usage, but I understand not everyone is as fortunate as I am.

Would it be possible to add with a warning on the "Modern" GZDoom?
nazakomu
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by nazakomu »

Samuel Turveywill wrote:Would it be possible to add with a warning on the "Modern" GZDoom?
That sounds like a good idea.
Perhaps, an even better approach would be to check how much VRAM is available, and if it's sufficient enough, the modes are enabled. And if there isn't enough VRAM available in the check, the modes are disabled.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

It would depend on more than just how much VRAM is available, but also the textures used by a given map. Maps that use a few small textures won't be as much of a problem compared to maps that use a lot of large textures, for instance. And the latter would be more of a problem than a map that uses a lot of small textures. I don't think the engine will know how much VRAM will be needed until it's needed.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Worse, OpenGL does not provide any useful facilities to assess the memory needs. It will just resort to system memory and result in texture thrashing, making the game slow.

A 6x scaled texture consumes 36x the VRAM of the unscaled variant. A 4x scaled texture only 16x. And here the law of diminishing returns strikes mercilessly. It's simply not worth it, dealing with massively increased texture creation times and massively increased VRAM usage for some minor visual improvement.

To give you an idea: A really resource intensive map like ZDCMP2 needs 4GB of VRAM to handle 4x upscaling for everything. To do 6x it'd require 10 GB! Does that even exist?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

The mentioned 1080 Ti has 11 GB of VRAM. Upcoming 11 series may have 12 to 16 GB.

Post by Guest »

If it helps at all, If 5x or 6x was enabled on a Dev build i'd be willing to run some benchmarks or tests with the 1080TI for you guys with whatever settings required.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Made this PR with various xBRZ related changes. Comments are welcome.

Post by Guest »

Woo excitement! Hope these get merged, can't wait to test them

Thanks _mental_ !

Post by Guest »

Hey Guys, Just wondering if there is any update on this? just curious!
Blue Shadow

Post by Blue Shadow »

If there were any updates, you'd know, as the thread would most likely see some activity.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”