MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
ShockwaveS08
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Get Kinetic! p93)

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Visual bug, regarding killed Wretcheds: The size of a Wretched corpse can wildly vary, for reasons unknown. See attached screenshot.

Weapon Suggestion: About the only weapon not brought over from Doom 3/ROE is the Grabber. Will that multipurpose tool make the cut?

In ROE, the Grabber (or Ionized Plasma Levitator) can lift any of the following for around 5 seconds before overheating and dropping said object: exploding barrels, health/armor/ammo pickups, enemy fireball projectiles (i.e. those of Imps and Hellknights, for example), and Forgotten Ones (ROE equivalent to the Lost Soul, instakills upon release). If Cygnus from Guncaster can do it with the Chillgrasp spell, why not MetaDoomGuy/Girl/CombatChassis with the Grabber?
Attachments
Big caco, smol caco
Big caco, smol caco
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Visual bug, regarding killed Wretcheds: The size of a Wretched corpse can wildly vary, for reasons unknown. See attached screenshot.
Fixed, thanks.
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Weapon Suggestion: About the only weapon not brought over from Doom 3/ROE is the Grabber. Will that multipurpose tool make the cut?
The Grabber presents a lot of non-trivial technical challenges that I haven't really looked into yet. It'd be good to have, but frankly, the prospect of making it scares me.
ShockwaveS08

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Another bug report: When swaping weapons while using the Chaingun's altfire, the secondary barrels blink out of existence for a split-second. See attached video.

Equipment Suggestion: The Delta-V Jump Boots from Doom (2016), and optional ledge-grabbing to go along with it (file that feature under "Potential Map-Breakers"). Rare spawn alongside other equipment, but it's a permanent upgrade that allows your character to double-jump.

Codex Suggestion: Kill Count for Monsters/Enemies Killed for Weapons and Equipment. Doom (2016)'s Codex shows how many times you have slain a particular enemy, and how many kills you've accrued with a particular weapon. How feasible would it be to implement something similar into the current iteration of the MetaDoom Codex, either as a separate, fourth page, or as add-ons to the existing three tabs?

Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Another bug report: When swaping weapons while using the Chaingun's altfire, the secondary barrels blink out of existence for a split-second. See attached video.
Fixed. Same problem as the Machinegun. Probably the same code, too. :V
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Equipment Suggestion: The Delta-V Jump Boots from Doom (2016), and optional ledge-grabbing to go along with it (file that feature under "Potential Map-Breakers"). Rare spawn alongside other equipment, but it's a permanent upgrade that allows your character to double-jump.
This is something I want to do, but there are a few other moving parts I want to look into first, like detecting and respecting the MAPINFO no-jumping-allowed flag.
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Codex Suggestion: Kill Count for Monsters/Enemies Killed for Weapons and Equipment. Doom (2016)'s Codex shows how many times you have slain a particular enemy, and how many kills you've accrued with a particular weapon. How feasible would it be to implement something similar into the current iteration of the MetaDoom Codex, either as a separate, fourth page, or as add-ons to the existing three tabs?
That ball's in DrPySpy's court, and I'm getting too close to a planned release date to consider such a huge change to a stable system anyway. Maybe for a future release?
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

I noticed in the changelog that you've made it so some items that spawn next to main ones don't go to unreachable areas, but what about BFG ammo and the Unmaker demon keys?
ShockwaveS08

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Very minor visual bug, regarding the Codex: The "Orb" in "Invulnerability Orb" is cut-off on the left side of the menu. Perhaps find a way to nudge the left box's boundaries over to the right a bit, so it can fit the whole name? See attached screenshot.
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-07-30-21-45-00.jpg
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:I noticed in the changelog that you've made it so some items that spawn next to main ones don't go to unreachable areas, but what about BFG ammo and the Unmaker demon keys?
Good call, done.
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Very minor visual bug, regarding the Codex: The "Orb" in "Invulnerability Orb" is cut-off on the left side of the menu. Perhaps find a way to nudge the left box's boundaries over to the right a bit, so it can fit the whole name? See attached screenshot.
Yeah, I'm aware, but it's a tiny thing and trying to fix it without invoking DrPySpy seems like a bad idea.
snarkel

Post by snarkel »

Not sure if this is a bug or something that has already been reported but just to be safe i'll drop it off here.

When the hud is in fullscreen mode, you can still see right through it in the minimap
Attachments
its a small thing but I figured a bug is still a bug...assuming this is actually a bug
its a small thing but I figured a bug is still a bug...assuming this is actually a bug
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Thanks for the heads-up, fixed.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

ShockwaveS08 wrote: Weapon Suggestion: About the only weapon not brought over from Doom 3/ROE is the Grabber. Will that multipurpose tool make the cut?

In ROE, the Grabber (or Ionized Plasma Levitator) can lift any of the following for around 5 seconds before overheating and dropping said object: exploding barrels, health/armor/ammo pickups, enemy fireball projectiles (i.e. those of Imps and Hellknights, for example), and Forgotten Ones (ROE equivalent to the Lost Soul, instakills upon release). If Cygnus from Guncaster can do it with the Chillgrasp spell, why not MetaDoomGuy/Girl/CombatChassis with the Grabber?
I think to make this weapon work, we'd have to find out how to recreate the Gravity Gun from HL2 in Doom and even then, what number key slot would it be on?

Also, i feel like with all the weapons and items we got to far, there's still a lot more that can be done on the side of enemies.

* A new former human? The possessed soldiers in Doom 4 have an unique design and some new abilities, that involve shooting a simple plasma ball and one that stops in mid air and explodes.
* New imp? The two current imp variants are faster than the main one, so the Doom 3/Impling could at least have an unique projectile attack, like one that drops flames, that only last for a short period of time and can be easily put out.
* New Pinky? Belphegor/Doom 4 Pinky has this hitbox/weak point system, but if that can't be done easily, maybe turn him into the multiplayer Spectre that is both a Pinky and a Spectre. (i think D64's Spectres also had it where they'd became visible at times)
* New Cacodemon? Doom 3's one has an unique, but ugly design and no name left, probably not needed at all.
* Pain Elemental? We finally got a new kind in Eternal but that's about it, so let's wait until the game is out or at least QuakeCon.
* Lost soul? Nightmare/Doom 4 LS is obvious but i'm sure there's still something to take out of Doom 3/64's Lost Souls.
* Revenant? The Doom 3 one/Ghoul has some gameplay differences, where he moved slower but shoots two rockets at once and could strafe like the ZSec, but it might not be enough, so creative moves could be needed.
* Mancubus? The Doom 3 one/Druj could at least get two official Mancubi moves that weren't used yet: shooting the arm cannons individually and some AoE attack. (he normally does it by slamming his cannons on the ground)
* Archvile? I was thinking of the designs in 3 or Eternal colored like a Doom RPG (Infernis and Apollyon) variant and some ability from 3 like fire trails on the ground.
* Arachnotron? I like the look of the Eternal one but that's all we got now.
* Hellknight? The RoE Brusier is like a mix of an HK and a Mancubus, so there's some creativity to be available for his moves.
* Baron of Hell? The Ogre could have a lot of possibilites, from his design being inspired by that 3DO "Cyberdemon's head on a Baron's body" thing to the fire arm blades Baron in Eternal. (i heard the Ogres in DRPG were weak compared to the other Baron types, so they could be mentioned that they got the fire blades to become more useful)
* Bosses? This could be a hard one, but it'd be neat to see the Mother Demon in D64's final map.

I can also see the amount of effort and time this would require and whether or not most of these are even needed at all, but it's fun to speculate.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:Also, i feel like with all the weapons and items we got to far, there's still a lot more that can be done on the side of enemies.
There are also currently 42 or so enemies in the mod, not counting Wolf3D stuff or the inevitable future Doom Eternal-related things. Let's not get too AEoD-y here.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Yeah, i can see the problem with the number of monsters added.
Some of the ideas aren't that good too.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Also, when it comes to Eternal, do you worry whether or not the final release of the game changes something from what we'll see in QuakeCon?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Provided there are no show-stopper bugs that pop up in the next couple of days or a new engine build gets shoved out that breaks a key feature (odds of this happening are currently 50/50), I'll be making a stable release this week, probably the day before the QuakeCon keynote that Doom Eternal's being demoed at. (This is a canny way of avoiding being nagged to shove stuff from the demo into MetaDoom at the very last minute, FYI)

If you're down with playing it a little early, please feel free to grab a development build from the towering colossus I call an OP and kick it around a little bit! All bug reports are appreciated, even the frustrating ones that take a full day to fix.

RikohZX

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (New Version This Week! p95)

Post by RikohZX »

Here's hoping to a relatively flawless release. And god help your soul with the inevitable work people will put into trying to emulate Eternal.
whatup876

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (New Version This Week! p95)

Post by whatup876 »

Apparently, if your weapons in use are either the Gauss cannon or the Unmaker, this happens if you punch the walls.

https://imgur.com/a/xwCOQ0G

Return to “Gameplay Mods”