MetaDoom v7.1 "Ghost" - This Mod Has Moved. See OP for details.

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: MetaDoom v4.1 "Fred" (Get Kinetic! p93)

Post by Kinsie »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Bug Report 1: Some stability issues afoot; sometimes, when you land a heavy killing blow on an enemy, the game crashes to the desktop/Delta Touch launcher, with no error message.
I haven't witnessed this myself, and don't have an Android device with which to test on Delta Touch. I can only test using the latest stable GZDoom Win64 build, and can't really help if anyone has problems specific to running on a smartphone, Gizmondo or Game.COM.

Given that it's crashing without an error, I can only assume you're running out of memory.
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Bug Report 2, regarding the Codex: When scrolling rapidly through entries in the codex, the game soft-crashes to the console with the following messages...

Code: Select all

VM Execution Aborted: Tried to read from Address Zero.
Called from MetaCodex_Menu. Ticker at metadoom-dev.pk3:zscript/codex/metacodex_menu.zsc, line 515
Fixed. This was caused by the Codex not liking my using an item within it (the backpack, specifically) to possibly spawn Kinetic Mines upon spawning.
AvzinElkein wrote:
Kinsie wrote:
AvzinElkein wrote:Another thing: no matter how many of an inventory item you have, the inventory claims you have 0 of that item.
Don't use the GZDoom Alternate HUD.
...actually, the alternate HUD was off.
Again, it currently looks fine in the latest stable PC build.
If anyone else is having this problem, I'd greatly appreciate hearing about it! Otherwise I can only assume it's Delta Touch being weird.

In the meantime, here's some magic Zanieon whipped up for me. The Wretched no longer looks... well... Wretched.
I still need to draw blood and such onto the death frames, mind you. I'm not very good at that.
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Hey, just a question. Where did you get the HD version of Heretic's water splash sound in your mods? Did you get it from Sound Ideas or what?

Also, the new Wretched design looks cool, but is it just me or does it looks out of place with the Doom artstyle...
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Finder153 wrote:Hey, just a question. Where did you get the HD version of Heretic's water splash sound in your mods? Did you get it from Sound Ideas or what?
I think it was from an Elder Scrolls game...
ShockwaveS08
Operating System Version (Optional): Android 10

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Bug Report, regarding treasure-spawning algorithms: Given the randomized nature of treasure spawns, sometimes it may have unintended effects, like this goblet endlessly vibrating up and down the short steps on The Ultimate Doom, E1M1 (Hangar). My guess is that its spawning caused it to pop out of two walls simultaneously, triggering this physics glitch. It can still be picked up like normal treasure, and seems to have no lasting impact on performance or gameplay.
See: included video.

Suggestion 1: Bullet casings spawning en-masse from the Chaingun continue to bog down the framerate on slower rigs/Delta Touch-enabled phones. Might I suggest offering performance toggles for; Bullets and Shell Casings (On/Off), Barrel Shrapnel (On/Off), Gib Detail (Classic Behavior/MetaDoom Behavior).

Suggestion 2: Add a HUD option to maximize screen real-estate with a fullscreen-HUD, while keeping the existing Status Bar HUD.

Health, Armor, Score, and Doomguy's Face: Lower-Left
Ammo, Keys, and Equipment: Lower-Right
Kills/Items/Secrets: Upper-Left
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Bug Report, regarding treasure-spawning algorithms: Given the randomized nature of treasure spawns, sometimes it may have unintended effects, like this goblet endlessly vibrating up and down the short steps on The Ultimate Doom, E1M1 (Hangar). My guess is that its spawning caused it to pop out of two walls simultaneously, triggering this physics glitch. It can still be picked up like normal treasure, and seems to have no lasting impact on performance or gameplay.
Yeah, this is just Doom physics being weird. I'll try and add something that forces it to stop after a second or so.
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Suggestion 1: Bullet casings spawning en-masse from the Chaingun continue to bog down the framerate on slower rigs/Delta Touch-enabled phones. Might I suggest offering performance toggles for; Bullets and Shell Casings (On/Off), Barrel Shrapnel (On/Off), Gib Detail (Classic Behavior/MetaDoom Behavior).
I can probably do toggles in one way or another for casings and shrapnel. Classic gibbing isn't happening, though - I never prepared classic-style gibbing animations for all the custom monsters.
ShockwaveS08 wrote:Suggestion 2: Add a HUD option to maximize screen real-estate with a fullscreen-HUD, while keeping the existing Status Bar HUD.

Health, Armor, Score, and Doomguy's Face: Lower-Left
Ammo, Keys, and Equipment: Lower-Right
Kills/Items/Secrets: Upper-Left
I'd like to have the fullscreen HUD space things out a bit more, but figuring out how to do it in a way that respects resolution settings while reusing as much code as possible from the main HUD is oddly tricky.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

AvzinElkein wrote:Another thing: no matter how many of an inventory item you have, the inventory claims you have 0 of that item.
I've just run some tests myself and I'm not sure that there is any bug here - item charges just work differently in Metadoom compared to the typical Heretic-derivative inventory that a lot of mods use.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

wildweasel wrote:
I've just run some tests myself and I'm not sure that there is any bug here - item charges just work differently in Metadoom compared to the typical Heretic-derivative inventory that a lot of mods use.
I've updated the Read This page to explain this a little better.
ShockwaveS08

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

One other thing I would like to see for the "fullscreen" variant of the HUD: a Doom3-style weapon bar that highlights your current weapon in cyan, shows acquired weapons in a darker cyan, and ammo-depleted weapons in a red tone.

[-----------------}
Above example shows that the EKG Sidearm is selected, and the approximate location of the Grenade Launcher and Rocket Launcher, which are out of Rockets. And there are 17 dashes here, one for every weapon in the game (excluding Berserk).
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Keep in mind that I'm trying to re-use as much of the same code between the fullscreen and normal status bars as possible, so you're not going to see a complete transformation between the two. And given I'm trying to hit an impending date for a stable release, you probably won't see anything too severe change-wise.

Of course, given how poorly handled my beloved windowed mode has been in recent engine devbuilds, the odds of my being able to hit that deadline are compromised from the off. Best laid plans, I guess.
whatup876

Post by whatup876 »

Never expected the artifact to actually be added, but where does the item spawn from?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

whatup876 wrote:Never expected the artifact to actually be added, but where does the item spawn from?
Nothing yet. Still need to add that. Such is WIP builds...

EDIT: Fixed.
Spoiler:
ShockwaveS08

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Bug report: Sometimes, when gaining 100% completion on a certain category (Kills/Items/Secrets), the game hard-crashes to the desktop/Delta Touch Launcher. When I attempt to reload any of my MetaDoom autosaves at that point, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

Attempt to instantiate abstract class ThinkerIterator
If it helps, I should let you know that I was also using the AutoAutosave mod at the time of this bug report.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

I'm not sure what's causing the crash (I'm guessing by it being a hard crash that it's another out-of-memory error and that this mod may not be well-suited to your phone model) but the save game bug is probably due to the game crashing while trying to write a save and that you're trying to load an unfinished file as a result. Not a huge amount I can do about that, I'm afraid.

The 100% toasts are all handled by one of many ACS loops. I could probably do it more efficiently, but it's doing way less than, say, the footstep script.

EDIT: Putting this PM I just received here so I don't forget:
m8f wrote:Hi! Regarding that crash. The very similar thing happened in Doom Tournament (see this post). Initially I thought that that was another bug in my Autoautosave, but later it proved to be a bug in Doom Tournament: this commit fixes it.
zscript/warheadlauncher.zsc, I suppose.
I'll have to ask Marisa how they fixed it.

EDIT 2: I've pushed an experimental fix based on Marisa's suggestion.
ShockwaveS08

Post by ShockwaveS08 »

Minor bug report, regarding the Assault Rifle: When using the missile rack altfire, switching weapons will cause the unequip animation to wig out for a split-second. See attached YouTube video.

Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

ShockwaveS08 wrote:Minor bug report, regarding the Assault Rifle: When using the missile rack altfire, switching weapons will cause the unequip animation to wig out for a split-second. See attached YouTube video.

Fixed, thanks.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”