[Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - /idgames link is up

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Blue Shadow

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.1 out now!

Post by Blue Shadow »

Playing v1.1 with GZDoom 3.4.0. In MAP14, the blue skull key's pedestal can turn into a hole that you could fall into and get trapped.

[imgur]https://i.imgur.com/zjAEGS6[/imgur]
That was after I completed the map fully, came back and was about to head to the exit.
RedoLane

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II

Post by RedoLane »

I planned to try it out with a gameplay mod, but i'm not sure what would feel the most fitting for this megawad(since there's new monsters there, i only need a weapons mod).
Any recommendations?
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

In my opinion, the ideal mod for this would be 64k+, since it blends classic and N64 weapons together, in addition to other changes.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the mod has its own versions of vanilla monsters, so you'll want to load it before D64D2 so that the latter still spawns the right monsters.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Regarding mods, there will be a fix coming soon~ish that will fix problems that will arise in MAP02/MAP02B (and maybe others). I forgot to finish up some decorate related to an object in that map that is required for the blue key puzzle. So if your playing a mod that replaces all of the gore decoration objects (ie. Brutal Doom), that map will break.
Blue Shadow wrote:Playing v1.1 with GZDoom 3.4.0. In MAP14, the blue skull key's pedestal can turn into a hole that you could fall into and get trapped.
That was after I completed the map fully, came back and was about to head to the exit.
Got it, thank you Blue Shadow! We'll get that fixed in the upcoming version.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I really like this map set. It looks fantastic and plays pretty well. I still think a lot of the puzzles in d64 are bad and this new paint job doesn't really change that but that's a fairly minor gripe.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

SiFi270 wrote:In my opinion, the ideal mod for this would be 64k+, since it blends classic and N64 weapons together, in addition to other changes.

Edit: I forgot to mention, the mod has its own versions of vanilla monsters, so you'll want to load it before D64D2 so that the latter still spawns the right monsters.
So if I load D64D2 after it, it'll load everything from the mod except monsters, right?
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

It'd still load the monsters that D64D2 doesn't make any changes to, but they're all still pretty close to the originals anyway.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

If there's people that still play 64k+ I might take a look at adding support for this mod.
Seribbit

Post by Seribbit »

Amazing work,
Now it seems an alternate port of the nintendo 64 version.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Hopefully v1.2 will be ready to release soon (I'm waiting on a fixed demo right now). In the mean time I'll post the decorate code that should fix incompatibilities with certain mods, just in case someone here would like to test it out.
Spoiler:
And thanks for the kind words guys :)
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

SiFi270 wrote:It'd still load the monsters that D64D2 doesn't make any changes to, but they're all still pretty close to the originals anyway.
I see...then I prefer to use something else.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

I haven't seen this one before!

Loved the "old trailer" (and the STP music =p)

Gonna give this one a try.
Mechadon

Post by Mechadon »

Hey, v1.2 is now done! This includes the decorate 'fixes' so hopefully most mod incompatibilities should be addressed now.

D64D2_v1.2.zip [5.4M] (Changelog)
Readme
Alternate hell statusbar (skin/flesh version) (Preview)
Alternate metal statusbar (by CoTeCiO & StalkerZHS) (Preview)

The changelog should list all of the updates, but here are the highlights:
  • The DECORATE has been updated so compatibility should be better with certain mods.
  • The Motherdemon now works properly in DOS Doom.
  • As a result of the Motherdemon fix, she now has slightly more deadly attacks.
  • Almost all of the COOP signs/switches were tweaked so they would be hidden in singleplayer games (unless I forgot one, heh).
  • All of the map bugs that were reported from v1.0 and v1.1 have been fixed.
  • A ton of maps got a little extra polish here and there to make the experience a bit more enjoyable (a result of me spending too much time replaying this over and over). In particular MAP16, MAP18, MAP32 got some of the bigger tweaks. For MAP16 I updated the library area so each sub-area stands out from each other a bit more. MAP18 has been made a little bit easier on the whole by adding a SSG in the starting area. And for MAP32 I tried making the map look darker and more foreboding to fit with the void theme.
As usual, I'll let this release sit for a few days before I do the /idgames upload. I really hope this is the last fix release, but we'll see. Sometimes these things can be never-ending bug fix upon bug fix :P. So like last time, please report a bug if you find one. But unless its dire, I'm going to probably just let it slide at this point.
Mechadon

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.2 is here, weee!

Post by Mechadon »

We had a couple of minor bugs pop up - one with the M_SKULL* graphic on the HELP screen in Chocolate Doom and then a broken monster spawn in MAP15. I just got a hot-fixed version up, so be sure to re-download it if you downloaded v1.2 previous to this post.
RedoLane

Re: [Release] Doom 64 for Doom II - v1.2 is here, weee!

Post by RedoLane »

in the end, I decided to use Final Doomer+ for this mappack.
Will report if there's any compatibility issues with it.

Return to “Levels”