Samsara: Extra Heroes (Version C2) + ExMixer (0.81)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Shiny Metagross

Samsara: Extra Heroes (Version C2) + ExMixer (0.81)

Post by Shiny Metagross »

If you're here, presumably you are familiar with Samsara. If you are not, then you may want to look here first. Otherwise, read-on.

Link to Zandronum topic

The release of HC was a pivotal moment for Extra Heroes as it widened the audience of the addon to ZDoom users instead of simply Zandronum players. It made more changes to the mod in any update for Extra Heroes, or perhaps Samsara, period. At the same time, the update took much longer than desired, but along with it came a lot of redesigned content. Today is the release of Extra Heroes version C2, which will be the last version of the version C builds (with the exception of future patches until the release of the next major build, which will go under a different designation). Version C had a major issue, however, in that a lot of the original player base could no longer play as a result of opening up the player base to ZDoom and using CVARINFO to log CVARS. In order to fix this issue, Extra Heroes had to be merged into 0.3666, creating one file (yes, we got permission from Kinsie to do this). Therefore, anyone can play these new builds now. I will repeat:

DO NOT RUN THIS BUILD WITH 0.3666, you will have errors - it is no longer needed!

What is the main goal of these addons anyways? Well, I, S_Andrew_S, or Zandrewnum as I like to call myself these days (it's my preferred support and my name fits into it, the name kinda just caught on and I felt it was quite clever) and Jesh with the help of Dynamo (formerly) have created this mod with much of the same intentions of the original Samsara, however, we differ in that we have added heroes that were left out of that cut, ones that we felt should've been there, perhaps from my very own testimony ones that deserved a place more than other heroes. The roster of heroes added:
Spoiler: Character Roster
Spoiler: Credits
Spoiler: Changelogs
Now that new builds are released, you may use them on GZDoom (at least version 2.1) or Zandronum (3.0 or above).
Spoiler: Downloads and Installation
Spoiler: Our Discord Channel
Last edited by Shiny Metagross on Wed May 05, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 26 times in total.
Whoah

Re: [WIP] Samsara: Extra Heroes + ExMixer

Post by Whoah »

Words cannot express my excitement for this! Can't wait for the GZDoom-compatible version!
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Maaaan that trailer was one heck of a big rigs ride. I see you added tons of classes and monsters in one package, including some less-known ones like Witchaven! Looks really super-impressive and i can't wait for the first release. Please keep it up!!
Nailz the Ravager
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by Nailz the Ravager »

I have to admit - it's magnificent! I'm very happy to see the characters from "In Pursuit Of Greed" and "Cybermage"! Good luck with your project!
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

WaWaWeeWa - outstanding work. How about the SiN game? :)
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Tried to run the linked Extra Heroes in GZDoom 3.4.0 alongside Samsara 0.3666 and received some errors on startup that stopped the game from running:

1.) The "C" versions of the fireballs in Lo Wang's slot 7 try and re-define the user_angle variables from their parents, and the engine doesn't like that. Commenting out these re-definitions seems to suffice.

Code: Select all

Script error, "samsara_ex-hb3.pk3:decorate/lowang/slot7.dec" line 1211:
'user_angle' is already defined in 'MagicCircleFlameBall_1C' or one of its ancestors.

Execution could not continue.

Script error, "samsara_ex-hb3.pk3:decorate/lowang/slot7.dec" line 1211:
Unexpected ';' in definition of 'MagicCircleFlameBall_1C'
2.) The SBARINFO barfs upon accounting some old Skulltag shit.

Code: Select all

Script error, "samsara_ex-hb3.pk3:sbarinfo.txt" line 492:
'RuneIcon' is not a type of inventory item.
Script error, "samsara_ex-hb3.pk3:sbarinfo.txt" line 505:
'teamscore' is not a type of inventory item.

Script error, "samsara_ex-hb3.pk3:sbarinfo.txt" line 505:
Expected ',' but got string constant "Red" instead.
I'm not sure how to fix these in a way that doesn't make Zandronum angry. I think I might have just left them commented out in 0.3666?

3.) GZDoom does not support, and never will support, the ConsoleCommand ACS function. Please see the Samsara 0.3666 version of script_auto.h to find out how to convert these commands into something both GZDoom and Zandronum can tolerate (namely, [wiki]GetCVar[/wiki] and [wiki]SetCVar[/wiki]!)

(EDIT: Just seen people talking about an unreleased(?) GZD-compatible version. I guess that answers that. Hopefully these comments help, at any rate.)
Last edited by Kinsie on Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shiny Metagross

Kinsie wrote:Tried to run Extra Heroes in GZDoom 3.4.0 alongside Samsara 0.3666 and received some errors on startup that stopped the game from running
That's because the current builds are Zandronum only. The trailer was recorded in GZDoom 3.3.2 with my test builds of extra heroes and the mixer.
Last edited by Shiny Metagross on Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

S_Andrew_S wrote:
Kinsie wrote:Tried to run Extra Heroes in GZDoom 3.4.0 alongside Samsara 0.3666 and received some errors on startup that stopped the game from running
That's because the current builds are Zandronum only.
Yeah, I just noticed people talking about a GZD-compat version.

Well, hopefully those comments help at any rate.
Shiny Metagross

Kinsie wrote:
S_Andrew_S wrote:
That's because the current builds are Zandronum only.
Yeah, I just noticed people talking about a GZD-compat version.

Well, hopefully those comments help at any rate.
I'll keep them in mind.
GeneralDelphox

Post by GeneralDelphox »

This is nice. Mind if you make the ExMixer as a standalone monster pack?
PixelWAD

Post by PixelWAD »

This is like best thing ever!
PlayerLin
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

I'll try this mod when this can run at latest GZDooM release. :)
killbotvii

Post by killbotvii »

PlayerLin wrote:I'll try this mod when this can run at latest GZDooM release. :)
I don't think you read the OP correctly. They literally say that it can run on the latest version of GZDoom.
Shiny Metagross

killbotvii wrote:
PlayerLin wrote:I'll try this mod when this can run at latest GZDooM release. :)
I don't think you read the OP correctly. They literally say that it can run on the latest version of GZDoom.
No, not yet.
killbotvii

Post by killbotvii »

Looks like I didn't read it correct then lol.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”