Hide "invalid sound position/velocity" messages

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Hide "invalid sound position/velocity" messages

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Or at least make them fall under one of the developer message categories (error or warning would work). These messages tend to get annoying and players don't really need to see them.
Nash

Re: Hide "invalid sound position/velocity" messages

Post by Nash »

What use is a warning if they're going to be ignored... :shrug:
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Please provide an example. It's not the first time this was requested but I would like to know the details.
Marisa the Magician

Here's some from the latest Colourful Hell.
The person I got this pic from said the console was constantly getting flooded with these.
Nash wrote:What use is a warning if they're going to be ignored... :shrug:
I know the thread title is misleading, but I couldn't type the whole thing about making them only visible with developer messages on.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

OK but what's the point of having actors that produce sounds outside of map boundary? Isn't -32k to +32k enough?

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with complete removal of those warnings right now. The thing is it will reopen possibility of more subtle bugs.
Optionally we can modify a condition to warn only about really bogus values like infinities or NaNs.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Ooor people can fix their mods. Even more so considering author of said mod is an active member. =P
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think this highlights one of the main issues with the community here:

Modders ignore diagnostic messages and essentially release somewhat broken stuff. In return the players rightfully complain that they get pointless message spam. But it's not the engine's fault, it's the mod's fault that this happens. I don't know if it's a good idea to hide problems just to make it easier to release something non-noisy
Marisa the Magician

I have developer warning messages always enabled and I can say that A LOT of mods give me countless warnings (and errors).
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10

Post by phantombeta »

That would be because barely anyone even knows developer messages exist.
Something really needs to be done about that. Also about peoples' tendency to completely ignore warnings.
Hege Cactus

Post by Hege Cactus »

I think this highlights one of the main issues with the community here:

Modders ignore diagnostic messages and essentially release somewhat broken stuff. In return the players rightfully complain that they get pointless message spam. But it's not the engine's fault, it's the mod's fault that this happens. I don't know if it's a good idea to hide problems just to make it easier to release something non-noisy
Ooor people can fix their mods. Even more so considering author of said mod is an active member. =P

I would fix this if I could and knew how, and to be honest, this doesnt really tell me much on why its happening

all I can gather here is that the projeciile is of the map and moving away, producing sound still.
Since it doesnt effect gameplay appereantly, it just spams the message, I mean, I think we get it the first time that its 32k away from map.

This also comes into an annoyance I've had with spawnitemex; No way to properly check if the actor is getting spawned in the "void" aka the non map area.

also why the does the engine even still make it run if its 32K outside the map/last used linedef? Even basic game engines have "out of bounds" check to destroy an object that goes way way outside the bounds :V
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Hege Cactus wrote:I would fix this if I could and knew how, and to be honest, this doesnt really tell me much on why its happening
From a modders perspective, I'd add a check for the offending actors to destroy themselves (or at least not play their sounds if they're important to be kept alive) if they're outside of (-30000, 30000) on any axis. Or otherwise ensure your actors never go that far away in the first place.

8-)
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:I have developer warning messages always enabled and I can say that A LOT of mods give me countless warnings (and errors).
I've started fiddling with that recently, though I have one question. If you turn it on for warnings, will you get errors too? I know setting it to everything does that, but it also puts out completed script notes, and there can be cases where scripts continuously restart and flood the screen with messages.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Hege Cactus wrote:This also comes into an annoyance I've had with spawnitemex; No way to properly check if the actor is getting spawned in the "void" aka the non map area.
I've asked about this in the past, and I've been told by smart people that the way Doom's maps work, this isn't all that possible.
Marisa the Magician

That's one big difference with UE1. At least it had a concept of "out of bounds" (and it was very aggressive in enforcing it).

I wonder just how hard it'd be to figure out a way to detect when things are really outside of any sector.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not with how it currently works. Doom does not know the concept of 'outside any sector'. Any valid point inside the map boundaries belongs to some subsector and as a consequence to some sector.
You'd have to extend the current position determination to do a far more thorough check - but even then, what to do with the result?

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”