High quality Hexen sound collecting!

Sprites, textures, sounds, code, and other resources belong here. Share and share-alike!
Forum rules
Before posting your Resource, please make sure you can answer YES to any of the following questions:
  • Is the resource ENTIRELY my own work?
  • If no to the previous one, do I have permission from the original author?
  • If no to the previous one, did I put a reasonable amount of work into the resource myself, such that the changes are noticeably different from the source that I could take credit for them?
If you answered no to all three, maybe you should consider taking your stuff somewhere other than the Resources forum.

Consult the Resource/Request Posting Guidelines for more information.

Please don't put requests here! They have their own forum --> here. Thank you!
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: High quality Hexen sound collecting!

Post by Panzermann11 »

Captain J wrote:Maybe he bought some sound libraries used by certain game companies during the 90's. Though not sure they're cheaper or has rich information.
Forgot to mention, he specifically said he got most of the sounds from Sound Ideas for his HQ sound mods.
Last edited by Panzermann11 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Of potential interest is this recent interview with Kevin Schilder about the audio and development of Heretic:

It confirms that a number of the Heretic monster sounds (Imps, Wizards etc.) are original recordings by the Raven team, so a "high quality sounds" project will have to recreate them through trial, error and mimickry.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

They actually interviewed with Kevin Schilder? That's super interesting. I didn't know they actually made their own sound effects for the game! Also that reminds me of ID Software also made their own sound effects for the enemies by distorting and pitching existing sounds(for instance, Arch-Vile's Death sound is actually the voice of little girl saying 'why?', but distorted and repeated 3 times). And yeah, 'bout that, finding similar sounds or editing vanilla sounds might be in a pickle.

... Thankfully i know how to edit and improve the sound effects, as an author of metadoom-inspired sound pack. But takes time and research to be done perfectly.
Panzermann11
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11

Post by Panzermann11 »

Kinsie wrote:It confirms that a number of the Heretic monster sounds (Imps, Wizards etc.) are original recordings by the Raven team, so a "high quality sounds" project will have to recreate them through trial, error and mimickry.
Of course, the rest of the sounds are just stock sound effects mostly from the Sound Ideas' libaries so contrary to what you said, making a HD sound effect pack is more-or-less possible if you can make-do.

Perkiristian stated he had to improvise on his Heretic sound pack such as recording his own wizard lines and using different sound effects such as when Corvus gets hurt and the mummy sounds.

Return to “Resources”