Reikall's Voxels.

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BishMayne

Re: Reikall's Voxels.

Post by BishMayne »

I hope you're still active on the Doom64 voxels, that would complete my life. I used your Doom II voxels with the PSX Doom Enhanced mod and it's beautiful <3 I respect you for the effort and time you put into these voxels.
BishMayne

Post by BishMayne »

I know you're busy, but would you make a short video on how you make your voxels and how to make their sizes fit for the GZDoom engine? I'd like to know so instead of bothering and begging you to make more voxels, I can do them myself! Also, help teach to convert it into a pk3 file :D
Ultimate Freedoomer

Post by Ultimate Freedoomer »

Quick question: aside from the Sentinel & the ceiling turret in the Strife set, what monsters are present to any degree in voxel form in each of the sets? Come to think of it, this is the first time Ive seen voxels of vanilla monsters at all.
reikall

Post by reikall »

I don't know if anyone still cares enough for my reply, but...

Thank you. I haven't been active. I was trying to work on my own original project. I've been writing the story for years, but my lack of coding and mapping skills made it pretty futile, then everything seemed futile. I'm sorry if I disappointed anyone. Is anyone even interested in this anymore?

I know extremely little about making videos.
All I did was import the original sprites into MagicaVoxel, scale the y axis an appropriate amount, and chip away at them until they looked right. I never changed the sizes because I believe that, if Id didn't need more pixels, I don't need more voxels.
Export to "slab," open them in Slab6 (yuck) and adjust the offsets (otherwise things will look missing but actually just be hidden by the floor...made that mistake several thousand times), and save to .kvx format.
Add a "voxels" folder to a Slade project, dump in the .kvx files, and you're done.

I did a bunch of monsters for Adventures of Square (most of which were posted somewhere in their project thread), but those are the only others.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I'm pretty sure a lot of people are quite interested in this. It's just that nobody has much to say about it, specially considering there's no feedback to give about new updates. Plus, when people say nothing it's usually because people usually only say something when they have a complaint (complements are more rare) and I guess nobody has anything to complain about. These are probably the most high quality voxel models I've seen made for ZDoom mods so I sure as hell know I won't be complaining.
talisa

Post by talisa »

hell yeah i still have interest in seeing more of your amazing voxels <3

ive been eagerly following your voxels ever since i came across them last year

i totally agree they are without a doubt THE best-looking voxels for doom, heretic and hexen out of all the voxels available,
and i would absolutely looove to see more of your amazing works and have a full complete pack for the entirety of doom heretic and hexen in your amazing style
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Someone64 wrote:nobody has anything to complain about.
That's for sure!
Welcome back Reikall :D
Hipnotic Rogue

Post by Hipnotic Rogue »

Glad you're back. The Heretic voxels are a perma-load for me. The solidity that they add to the bold and chunky world is perfect (if that makes sense!).

I eagerly await any updates too! :)
Trusty McLegit

Post by Trusty McLegit »

Plus 1 from me, I always get excited when I see updates on this thread! I love voxels so much, and yours are top notch. They fit perfectly into doom, and combined with smooth doom and a couple other subtle mods make doom just the perfect amount of modern without going full brutal doom. I still haven't got around to playing square, but from what I've seen those voxels are amazing as well!

P. S. I'd be very interested in seeing that original project you were talking about! No ones first maps are perfect, but you only get better by making more and more! And I'm not very good at coding either, but I've found in doom you can learn what you need pretty quickly as you go, and if course you can always ask for help right here! :D
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

I have been using these voxels lately so I would love to see continued work on this. I do youtube videos of Doom maps and my past bunch of videos have had these voxels in them. :)
reikall

Post by reikall »

Aw, well...I guess I have to, now. Thank you!

I was working on a lot of things, but I'm still sorting through it. Including some older things I just never got around to finishing:
Options menus for Doom and Heretic.
I did that grenade thing in gzdoom.pk3 that I don't know if anyone uses. Fascinating, I know.
The models for most Doom switches are finished, but I don't know how to implement them.
I don't remember if I hid some in one of my last updates, but I have a bunch of models for Doom Delta and Brutal Doom, though I can only imagine what I'd be inviting upon myself if I start trying to support Brutal Doom.
Armor pickups, circle jerks, and hard hat friendlies for Square. Maybe more, but I can't remember.
I recorded a synthy version of the Doom episode one soundtrack. I'm pretty happy with some of it, but....
I drew some normals for vanilla Doom textures, but not a complete set. I don't know if anyone else made anything better since.
And I was trying to learn Blender on top of all that, so I guess I burned myself out again.

Do dynamic lights work on voxels at all, now? I'm not getting anything to work in 3.4.1.
reikall

Post by reikall »

As for my project, prepare to be underwhelmed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nh5ofbh6v44ix ... e.pk3?dl=0 Just load map map01.
I was originally making it in 2D, so it's really just a test to see how it feels to have some of my sprites and tiles translated to voxels and textures. Takes about 15 seconds to see everything, so don't even bother to pretend like it's interesting.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

reikall wrote:The models for most Doom switches are finished, but I don't know how to implement them.
an idea would be to create a script that can find a certain texture on the map, and then automaticly place a voxel there
reikall wrote:I can only imagine what I'd be inviting upon myself if I start trying to support Brutal Doom.
You could always just share them on the BD discord, that way there would be no trouble
reikall wrote:I drew some normals for vanilla Doom textures, but not a complete set. I don't know if anyone else made anything better since.
There are actually a guy who made normals for over 75% of all vanilla doom textures! A guy on doomworld called Arl is working integrating them for his PBR texture pack.
reikall wrote:And I was trying to learn Blender on top of all that, so I guess I burned myself out again.
You know, voxels actually eat more frames than actual models, an idea later on would be to convert the voxels to 3D models, that way you can get the best of both worlds!
reikall wrote:Do dynamic lights work on voxels at all, now? I'm not getting anything to work in 3.4.1.
It doesn't appear so, but i think 3D models do
reikall

Post by reikall »

Any suggestions on how to write a texture finding script or how to convert voxels?

Now I remember! Everything I was doing led to failure and frustration.

i mean really how do I even mess up cubes
Last edited by reikall on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mynameislol

Post by Mynameislol »

Most things leads to failure and frustration to me as well, however most of the time, if i check it out the day after i can solve the problem, or at the very least get an idea how to solve it.

If you are feeling frustrated, it's better to take a break, and failure is only failure if you stop trying :)

I'm not sure about the script, maybe some experienced zscripter here can help?

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”