Anyone here play Quake Champions?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SouthernLion

Anyone here play Quake Champions?

Post by SouthernLion »

I'm really having a blast with this game. I didn't like it earlier in the Beta, but when I just recently came back to it... everything feels right. I think the powers need to be balanced (dual wield Lightning Gun with BJ Blazkowicz is ridiculous, and the telefrag power with Wrack seems completely unavoidable), but the weapons and physics (like strafe jumping) actually feel nearly perfect. I'm especially having a lot of fun with the rail gun like I always have in Quake III: Arena.

Accensus

Re: Anyone here play Quake Champions?

Post by Accensus »

Yeah, I occasionally play with a good buddy of mine. Playing Scalebearer with this in the background is epic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P945A5Tndp8
Also Rocket Launcher FTW. Oh, and loooooootboxes! <3
RiboNucleic Asshat
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by RiboNucleic Asshat »

It's great, but I always feel like I'm playing so poorly. The other people have literal decades of experience over me...

I've tried to get my friends into the game but none of them have stuck with it. Oh, to have people to play with!
kodi

Post by kodi »

Yeah, I do. Extremely fun game when you're on a roll. I'm level 54 now I think.
PermaNoob wrote:It's great, but I always feel like I'm playing so poorly. The other people have literal decades of experience over me...
It'll feel like that for a long time. If you keep at it you'll suddenly "get" the game one day, and you'll start having a lot more fun. Even losing games will be far less frustrating.
Fishytza
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

Post by Fishytza »

raises hand
CWolf

Post by CWolf »

I do. Much more fun than Q3A to me, to be honest. Remind me of good ol' UT 99 in terms of action package.
JadedLexi
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by JadedLexi »

I never played Q3:A, but I did enjoy what I have played of this game. Instagib is fun!
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

CWolf wrote:I do. Much more fun than Q3A to me, to be honest. Remind me of good ol' UT 99 in terms of action package.
While I've always liked Unreal Tournaments weapons better than Quake III's, it's hard for me to get past the slow boring physics of the Unreal games. When you grew up strafe jumping in Quake 1, UT feels Call of Duty slow.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I haven't played it but there is something in the video that I have noticed with lots of games since the mid 2000s. I experienced it with Doom3, the later UTs etc etc. and much newer games too - I can see it in vids of Doom 2016, for example.

Problem is, I don't quite know how to explain it. There is a sort of... I dunno, "sloppy-ness" to the mouselook and player controls. "Sloppy-ness" is too harsh but it's all I can come up with. There seems to be a lack of directness or immediacy to the controls, particularly mlook these days. It's almost as if they are trying to give your head/viewpoint a feeling of inertia or something. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Sounds like you are describing mouse lag? With most of those newer games it can avoided by setting the graphics settings low (usually you don't have to put it all low, there's often one or two settings that make all the difference). With a lot of them you have to turn off vsync too, even if it shows a completely steady 60 fps.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

I guess mouse acceleration and motion blur would be the two main culprits for sloppy mouslook (sometimes vsync). They can usually be toggled off.
I'm surprised to see people warm up to Quake Champions. It was getting a lot of flack initially.. I might have to give it a go myself
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

There might also be a difference between direct mouse input and something else? But yeah, with some games I notice it more than others. Compared to Quake 3 at 120FPS on modern hardware, where the mouse feels extremely 100% direct, I do feel that a little bit in new games. I'm not getting the best frame rate ever on this either, between 30-60FPS. Which surprises me, because I am on pretty bleeding edge hardware at this point. I have the top i7 and chipset that came out in November, 32GB of DDR4, and I'm on a 1060 6GB. And the game is playing from an M2 SSD. I'm not gonna bother upgrading to 1070 or 1080, I might as well just wait for the 11xx and go 1170 or 1180. (Or 1160, really.)
kodi

Post by kodi »

Dancso wrote:I'm surprised to see people warm up to Quake Champions. It was getting a lot of flack initially.. I might have to give it a go myself
Had low hopes for it, but it has this really satisfying feeling that draws you in despite its faults.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

dpJudas wrote:Sounds like you are describing mouse lag?
I've certainly seen it a lot in videos where that may or may not be an issue (because I don't know their setup), but I've also experienced it with my own computer which is reasonably powerful and set up pretty well. It seems like a "by design" thing more than just a hardware limitation. I'm not sure if it really even actually lags, it just gives that impression. Maybe I'm just too used to the immediacy of GZDoom's mlook?

Also...

The gamer's hive mind told me that these things were "teh evil"

Early access? Loot crates? Aren't those meant to be the things destroying gaming? ;)
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

Tried it, had fun with it, but haven't touched it in ages. The whole lootbox thing is kind of offputting. I'm just too damn used to skins being user-created and, you know, free.

Return to “Off-Topic”