Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
weej

Re: Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

Post by weej »

The real winner in this mod is the sound when the score is tallied up! :P

But in all seriousness I'm sincerely happy for you! I know how long you've worked on this, all the level selections, play-testing, asking for opinions - the hub level graphics...all of it took a LOT of time for someone who's mostly worked alone on this. To see this finally released and with such acclaim too is heartening! You truly are this guy.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I notice you use ChangeLevel to change to the desired level from the hubmap, so if I may make a suggestion for a future release: please add an option, a CVar or such, that pistol starts players at the beginning of a chosen levelset if true ([wiki=ChangeLevel]by setting the flags CHANGELEVEL_RESETHEALTH|CHANGELEVEL_RESETINVENTORY[/wiki]). Would be useful for players not intending to use some RPG mod for continuous play or server owners who want to moderate the play experience on servers running 24/7.
TheDoomGuy

Post by TheDoomGuy »

This has a lot of potential, and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. Sometimes I just want to unwind with a nice Megawad, and this is a great option. Bonus points for having a ton that I've never even heard of. Looking forward to what you do next with it.
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

I like this a lot so far, although I'm embarrassed to ask if the maps themselves might sport a few actual "Text Dumps" between levels. I haven't seen any yet, but I'll let you know if I do.

EDIT (7-19-18): Holy shit, I think I caught one of the bad ones. City of Doom is one of those. Not that it didn't try--it actually looked like a place and the use of improvised textures was nice; there wasn't wholesale corruption of the interiors and there weren't any abstract levels that simply put you in a trap-filled dungeon without context--this is one of the major steps toward storytelling via world-building and that part pays off dividends. When I finally finished it, I sighed. There was much to be desired in the layouts even then, because Doom should not have enemies that just appear in front of your face. Few mods with hastened creatures actually facilitate that sort of action. I swear, this 12-level project, I don't know, maybe it was the combination of Colorful Hell and Trailblazer, but maybe not--the thing is, these levels were absolute hell. Not that they were difficult, but they were linear and full of switches that did something--just not where you were or even in earshot--and sometimes I would search far and wide for a key that got obstructed by an enemy corpse and oh, my God, this thing is boring. Not that the combat is somehow poor, but it was frustrating to navigate. The second stage took me an entire hour. Not since Fester's Quest (and that game I can actually beat, as a matter of fact) have I struggled to navigate in a game. If it may please the general court, I recommend that you get rid of this level pack as it did not age well and does not represent its era so much as stain it.
Last edited by Neophyte_Ronin on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Thanks everyone for the kind words and encouragement!
Zhs2 wrote:I notice you use ChangeLevel to change to the desired level from the hubmap, so if I may make a suggestion for a future release: please add an option, a CVar or such, that pistol starts players at the beginning of a chosen levelset if true ([wiki=ChangeLevel]by setting the flags CHANGELEVEL_RESETHEALTH|CHANGELEVEL_RESETINVENTORY[/wiki]). Would be useful for players not intending to use some RPG mod for continuous play or server owners who want to moderate the play experience on servers running 24/7.
That's a pretty good idea, I'll definitely keep it in mind for the next release. Thank you!
Neophyte_Ronin wrote:EDIT: Holy shit, I think I caught one of the bad ones. I swear, this 12-level project by someone who modeled his maps after cityscapes...
Keep in mind that I've tried to include as much gameplay variety as possible with these. Not all mappacks may be to your liking, and City of Doom (which is the one you're referring to) is certainly big on exploration. Personally, I really like it, due to a combination of the music and textures, but it can indeed be quite cryptic at times, just as another wad included called Cleimos 2. I will in the future try to include gameplay information for all the mappacks present so you know what you're getting into beforehand but for now just keep in mind that one man's junk is another man's treasure.
Mere_Duke wrote:Anyway, good work! I think this should be expanded further.
I agree! Hopefully in due time...
Rowsol wrote:In slipgate map02 I'm unable to press this switch.
Posted a hotfix! This should fix slipgate map02. Let me know if there's any more issues.
Attachments
slp02.zip
(114.71 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

Thanks for replying. It wasn't anywhere as bad as I claimed. I'll dodge Cleimos II. Put up an advisory that people change their Automap settings to highlight the switches on the field. It's less of a cheat these days given many of the City of Doom maps set them on actual computer stations, which was something the original Vanilla maps virually ignored.

EDIT (BUG NOTE): In Caverns of Darkness (the Chaos Crew), Mission 3, Hell & High Water, I get stuck at the very beginning. I don't know what the problem is. If I am supposed to be swimming, as the previous level implied, then I'm not seeing it. I'm not seeing anything or registering any switches of any kind. The map is to the upper-left and I'M NOT THERE FOR SOME REASON.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

You're not supposed to swim because it's a Boom wad. You're supposed to simply find some platform to go up and find the switches.

http://u.cubeupload.com/Dynamo/b25Scree ... 201807.png

Like that.
Sgt. Shivers

Post by Sgt. Shivers »

I think the travel tubes are broken in Daedalus. At the moment they just loop forever, sometimes the cameras don't activate either.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Are you sure? Which map did you try? I just loaded map01 of daedalus it and it works fine for me. I actually played throughout the entirety of daedalus within Compendium and found no bugs whatsoever (but did encounter the bug you described earlier while I was still including it, but then managed to fix it). I hope something I added later didn't break it but in theory it should work fine. One thing that's worth mentioning however is that due to Daedalus' extensively complex ACS it may not be fully compatible with gameplay mods if they also use level-sensitive ACS. Are you using any? I mean as far as I know it should work fine regardless but it's the only thing I can think of...
Mere_Duke

Post by Mere_Duke »

Compendium\Decorate\TWZONE2\TWZ2Enemies.txt:

Code: Select all

Line 19: 	Obituary "&o was killed by a SS Predator Spectre"
Should it be:

Line 19: 	Obituary "%o was killed by a SS Predator Spectre"
?

Also, there is a brightmap with missing texture:

brightmap texture SW2GSTONE
{
	map "brightmaps/tnt/SW2GSTONE.png"
}
There is only a SW2GSTON.PNG file, should it be renamed to SW2GSTONE.PNG?
Neophyte_Ronin

Post by Neophyte_Ronin »

While playing Osiris, I happened upon an obstructing blood droplet animation that I believe is meant to complement the existent gore decoration actors. They were incorrectly assigned to the ceiling because the blood came to a pool raised in mid-air. That pool should drop down. Either the original authors got it wrong or it was simply overlooked. This occurs on Map07: The Temple of Amon-Ra, notably in the bloody river section.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

a bit of an off-topic, but I'm not gonna give up on calling it an Archivewad :V
badcaradvice

Post by badcaradvice »

Tried the fix for Project Slipgate SLP02. Assuming I'm supposed to load slp02.wad after compendium-v1.pk3, it doesn't seem to work, as the door does not open after pressing the button. I don't have any other mods loaded.
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

I believe you would actually need to either:
- Open up Compendium with your zip editor of choice (SLADE perhaps?) and throw it into the maps folder, replacing the old slp02.wad.
- Create a folder anywhere on your computer, create a "maps" folder inside that folder, place slp02.wad inside the "maps" folder, and load the top-level folder after Compendium.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

That's correct. Because of how GZDoom handles map files inside .pk3 files, loading the .wad normally would just end up changing map02 of doom 2 itself, I think. you can edit compendium itself or you can create a new .pk3, create a Maps folder, put slp02.wad there, save and load it and it should work fine. If you want I can upload such a version but it should be trivial to do.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”