[modern branch] Resolution selector

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

[modern branch] Resolution selector

Post by Rachael »

This should be done before the next release, if it is done at all. I am starting to see some backlash from the removal of the resolution options. I do like how things feel more lean without it, but people do still need a way to specify the exact dimensions of the GZDoom window, that does not involve the scaling options that are already present. Even a mere CCMD is better than nothing at this point. (Perhaps a revival of vid_setmode?)
Nash

Re: [modern branch] Resolution selector

Post by Nash »

I'll repost my (IMO) reasonable suggestion here too, so it doesn't get lost:
IMO for windowed modes, the resolution list should still be available. Dragging the windows by hand or using an external app is impractical and convoluted. If menu layout tidiness is a concern, perhaps a 1-line widget that lets you scroll through resolutions by pressing left and right would work.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Throwing in my +1 here. As a modder I need to be able to test many different resolution configurations for things like HUDs and menus and I'd rather use exact sizes rather than guesstimate by dragging the window borders (or using a 3rd-party Sizer tool).

A CCMD that lets us enter width/height and issues a resize command to the window would do the trick.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Marisa the Magician »

What Xaser said. It would be nice to have a way to directly resize the window. I'd imagine it would be possible to make it so changing the values of the win_* cvars updates the window?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That won't work because those do not specify the client size but the window position - including its borders.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

vid_setsize CCMD added. It works on Windows but still needs implementation on the other platforms.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Didn't you forget to push it? Because I see no such change.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not yet. There's still a small problem with doing this in fullscreen mode.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I've sent in a PR for vid_setsize support on the SDL backend.

Edit: By the way, since we've shifted to "use desktop resolution for fullscreen", maybe we could expand the virtual resolution scaling feature to allow for setting arbitrary resolutions? As in not just 320x200, 640x400 and 1280x800?
GFD
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by GFD »

I had some thoughts on UI for this when thinking of a menu redesign, but it seems like a good idea to revisit those thoughts here for the current menu layout in light of this change having been implemented recently.

The current system is pretty awkward, with scaling methods and specific resolution options being stuck in the same option, and not enough options in general. Here are my thoughts on how this menu should be laid out:
  • "Render mode" as it is.
  • "Fullscreen" as it is.
  • "Monitor selection", with settings in the format "n [WidthxHeight] (Primary)", listed from left to right (and top to bottom, if multiple monitors have the same X coordinate).
  • "Force aspect ratio" as it is.
  • "Forced ratio style" as it is.
  • Blank line for separation.
  • "Resolution scaling", with settings of "None", "Factor", and "Custom size".
  • "Upscaling type", with settings of "Nearest" and "Linear".
  • "Scale factor" slider, which could be greyed out when "Resolution scaling" isn't "Factor".
  • NumberField options for "Render width" and "Render height", which could be greyed out when "Resolution scaling" isn't "Custom size".
  • Blank line for separation.
  • Another two NumberField options for "Window width" and "Window height".
The "Monitor selection" option isn't as crucial if GZDoom's behaviour can be changed to fullscreen on whatever monitor the window is currently on, but as it is it's very cumbersome to still have to use console commands for this.
Any sort of pre-populated list for width/height settings seems pointless when there are no longer limitations on what can be used here.
Window dimensions should be exposed because some users will always want this, even if just to satisfy their OCD (this includes me).

Edit: for more convenience features and options, you could add a "Lock to aspect ratio" option to the ratio options. This would restrict window resizing to only resize to the forced aspect ratio, and automatically adjust the render/window width or height when the user edits the other option, again to maintain the forced aspect ratio.
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

GFD wrote:Edit: for more convenience features and options, you could add a "Lock to aspect ratio" option to the ratio options. This would restrict window resizing to only resize to the forced aspect ratio, and automatically adjust the render/window width or height when the user edits the other option, again to maintain the forced aspect ratio.
I like this idea :wub:

Maybe also have a snap to screen center option?
Kinsie

Post by Kinsie »

Rachael wrote:This should be done before the next release, if it is done at all.
So I guess this is never happening, huh.

Personally I think we shouldn't have released a stable build without a basic feature that in every single PC game since 1995 (non-bad Japanese Console Port division), but I guess I'm just not a brave, Apple-esque innovator.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Let's be clear. For fullscreen mode, a "resolution selector" really makes no sense because it implies something that no longer exists. All it provides is a way too easy way to set up screen buffer sizes that upscale badly to the actual display. For example, why would you set an 800x600 resolution on a full HD display? Setting an aspect ratio of 4:3 and then a scale of 0.5 gives you 720x540, which, while a bit less, scales a lot better to the actual display than selecting 800x600, which you would do because it's a size you know and on paper looks better than 720x540.

But as with many other obsolete concepts, there will always be some people who have problems to let go of things they know and adjust to more adequate ways of doing stuff.
Regarding windowed rendering, yes, setting the window size should be exposed to the menu in future versions.

On the other hand: Have you seen the uproar? It was really just a handful of people creating a ruckus over this.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Make said window size widget only appear if "fullscreen" is turned off. If the game is full screen, the widget disappears.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The widget would be two edit fields plus an Apply button. No need to hide it in fullscreen if properly explained.

A fixed list of predefined sizes makes absolutely no sense, because like in fullscreen, it implies something that no longer limits the available options.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”