[SoftPoly] Evilution MAP02 midtextures not showing properly

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
DenisBelmondo

[SoftPoly] Evilution MAP02 midtextures not showing properly

Post by DenisBelmondo »

Not sure how to explain this issue, so I''ll provide screenshots. For convenience, the idmypos is: 298, 1185, -44
Spoiler: SoftPoly, 8-bit and truecolor respectively
Spoiler: OpenGL renderer
It looks proper in the Doom software renderer as well, but I figured I wouldn't have to provide screenshots for them.
dpJudas

Re: [SoftPoly] Evilution MAP02 midtextures not showing prope

Post by dpJudas »

This is one of those render hacks where the sector is actually closed, it has a missing texture and then somehow it picks the mid texture. Softpoly doesn't support this at the moment.
DenisBelmondo

Post by DenisBelmondo »

Ahh understood. I assumed I knew how this particular sector arrangement was structured.

Post by Guest »

I have same bug :|
DOOMGABR [RU]

Post by DOOMGABR [RU] »

Same bug too
Gez

Post by Gez »

Of course you do. This is true for everyone:
dpJudas wrote:Softpoly doesn't support this at the moment.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Actually this is not a bug but an unsupported feature.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

drfrag wrote:Actually this is not a bug but an unsupported feature.
And on that note, it's prudent to mark the topic accordingly, in my opinion, so thus it is now done.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Er, "not yet supported" issues really ought to stay open, unless dpJudas has his own private issue tracker that already lists this. Otherwise, it's like striking a to-do item off the list before it's done.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Do you think he would forget such a thing?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Everybody knows that the softpoly branch is lacking several features. There's no point keeping reports open for it. If it bothers you, just don't use it. To be honest with its complete lack of render hack support it's probably not what should be used for playing vanilla WADs due to the high hack content in many of them.
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

...Do y'all not know how issue trackers work? o_O

[EDIT] Just to make super-sure this wasn't getting rug-swept, I pinged dpJudas on Discord and he had this to say:
[5:36 PM] dpJudas: I'm aware that renderhacks doesn't work, but I don't have any immediate plans to fix it
[5:36 PM] dpJudas: if I do, it only happens if I'm really really bored :)
That more or less places this particular one into a probable [Won't Fix] category, which is fine. It just isn't clear from the close reason.
Last edited by Xaser on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

An issue tracker implies that I have a personal interest in fixing things for free. It is quite intentional that I don't use one - they give me the feeling that I'm at the office, except not getting paid! :)
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Huh, post-sniped.

I'm not quite sure where that leaves things, then. There's several unfinished things in Softpoly that make it not yet compatible with Square, though I haven't filed any of them 'cause I was under the impression you were working on things whenever and I didn't want to preach to the choir. Though now I don't even think I should bother, 'cause they might just get closed without any sort of resolution. :?

[EDIT] Gotta ask about this bit:
dpJudas wrote:An issue tracker implies that I have a personal interest in fixing things for free. It is quite intentional that I don't use one - they give me the feeling that I'm at the office, except not getting paid! :)
Is this just, like, if an issue tracker exists, it totally drives you nuts in an "I can't help it" way? 'Cause if so... well, don't drive yourself nuts over it*! :P

I think this may just be the first time I've heard of that. Most devs I know (including myself) are the opposite -- if an issue isn't filed away somewhere (even if it's in the "this will practically never get done" backlog), it's like a spectre hovering about.

[DOUBLE-EDIT] *To clarify: i don't mean "magically get over it" or anything. I mean "do what works best for you."
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Is this just, like, if an issue tracker exists, it totally drives you nuts in an "I can't help it" way? 'Cause if so... well, don't drive yourself nuts over it*! :P

I think this may just be the first time I've heard of that. Most devs I know (including myself) are the opposite -- if an issue isn't filed away somewhere (even if it's in the "this will practically never get done" backlog), it's like a spectre hovering about.
Some people they love order, they love the thought of showing up at work, open the issue tracker and look at what is at the top of the priority list and then just happy as a clam go work on that ticket. Might even get a feeling of satisfaction as they see the list grow shorter and see things get done. I have a coworker that is like this and he's the best on our team to grind bugs and add smaller features that fit into tickets.

I'm very much not like that. I feel like a robot under such conditions and want to kill myself. Generally speaking, I'm good at making large changes (or writing entirely new software) that may take significant time to implement with barely existing specs. Stuff that in agile slave-worker systems would be labeled as an epic and be blocked via daily slaveups. Doing maintenance work for me is nothing but a chore and the last thing I need is to have a list of chores. To me that's what an issue tracker is.

In a professional team I'm the developer that somehow "forgets" to create tickets and codes on stuff I'm not really supposed to be coding on. What I feel like coding on varies greatly from day to day, but ultimately half of what I implement would not ever get done if you strictly followed the backlog. And for the same reason all bugs related to renderhacks are filed under "renderhacks not implemented" in my head - I don't need to see all the variations that would need testing if I tried to implement it one day. If anything, it would just discourage me. :p

So it isn't so much a question of me not wanting to fix all bugs in softpoly, but rather it is colored by the mood I have on any given day. Some people will call that unprofessional, but it is the same thing that gives me the energy and time to think about and solve other complex problems. Incidentally, the guy on our team that is a master ticker grinder is absolutely horrible at what I do. There isn't the crime he won't do on a codebase if it allows him to fix a ticket fast.

Sorry for the wall of text, but hopefully that explains why, to me, issue trackers isn't an aid. :)

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”