[Fixed] v52 Texture bug?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

v52 Texture bug?

Post by Chris »

I recently downloaded slipgate.wad, by Bryant Robinson. However, in all the levels, none of the textures show up(except for the flats, and sky which I don't think is right..). Every wall gets covered in the checkerboard pattern. A quick look through the WAD in Wintex didn't show me anything wrong, though. What happened?
randomlag

Post by randomlag »

PWAD is missing FF_START/FF_END markers. Just an F_END at the very end - an old DOOM trick (should have been placed earlier though).

IIRC Randy is aware of this already and is fixing it?

Symptom is the opposite of what you said though - none of the FLATS show.
Chris
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Chris »

Changed the F_END to FF_END and added FF_START appropriately, and the level works now.
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

I had a similar problem fixed for Gothic 2. However, that did not automatically fix this wad. Gothic 2 is nice enough to have its flats immediately precede the F_END marker. Slipgate has the F_END marker in the middle of the wad after the maps. Fortunately, it does have all the flats grouped together at the beginning of the wad, so I can still fix the wad and get the flats loaded.

I do not think there is a 100% safe way to fix all wads with a random arrangement of flats and F_END. That means that right now, the only wads with missing FF_START markers that will work are those that either (a) have their flats followed immediately by F_END or (b) have their flats at the beginning of the wad and have F_END at some random position later in the wad. If anybody finds any other wads that don't fit that pattern, I might be able to fix them.
randomlag

Post by randomlag »

Are you worried about excessive FLAT generation?

If you just used the 4096 size rule that would eliminate almost all the junk up to the F_END

All PWADs that used this trick have the FLATS before the F_END, otherwise they never would have worked in DOOMx or BOOM. However, they can have lots of other stuff before the FLATS and before the F_END. For example, having levels before the F_END is common as well as just about anything else (music, pname flats, etc). People did not really understand how/why this was working, so they figured an F_END anywhere should be ok.

This is all from memory, but maybe somebody else can give you an example.

Edit: ODESSA14.wad has an example of all of the above
Anonymous

Gothic2

Post by Anonymous »

Can someone show me an example of how to do those changes with the FF_End and FF_starts editing? I try renaming and inserting them with "WINTEX" without success , but I'm not familiar with that kind of operations.

I think it might pleased many users. Because I've got that problem with almost all Megawads

thx
DoOMX
Biff

Post by Biff »

Wintex will ordinarily insert these markers for you if you first hit the "flats" button, then add the flats (bitmap files) into the wad. You can probably add new entries with Wintex, not sure if it will accept "guru, new entry..." to put them in but I don't believe that Wintex makes it easy to move the FF_Start or FF_End markers.

Instead, try using XWE. You can manually add those markers to the wad, then can easily move them up or down into the correct positions.
Anonymous

re : Biff

Post by Anonymous »

Merci Biff (thank you)

I found another way to solve my problem. It is very easy because you do not have to edit the wad. I don't know if it works with other wads but it does with the gothic2.wad.

Wintex comme with CleanWad.exe just use it with the "+is" option.

Example : Cleanwad c:\zdoom\gothic2.wad c:\zdoom\gothicNew.wad +is

it will create a new wad with all _start and _end corrected.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”