REKKR - V1.16

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Gez

Re: REKKR - V1.1

Post by Gez »

E1M5: line 2122 has a WR lift effect for sector tag 15 despite being a one-sided wall, and there being no sector tagged 15. (Perhaps development garbage of an ancient passage allowing to reach the area with the cart?)

E1M6: wrong texture.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

While Bow does have a lightmap for its soul arrows, https://imgur.com/4KTcOw4
The Blessing of the Gods does not have any lightmaps for its lightning which looks weird. https://imgur.com/wDG3S0Q
Gez

Post by Gez »

E2M1, the kitty secret counts double.

E2M3, this decorative corpse on a lift does not move with it, so when the lift goes down, it levitates. (Even better, if you get below it because you can in GZDoom, then the lift will be blocked and go back down as you collide with it.)
Spoiler:
Still E2M3, it's not really a problem, but I don't really see the point of line #1474. The effect is subtle enough to seem like it'd be a secret, but there's just a simple stimpack if you find it. Now the actual secret on that map (with the backpack) is really hard to get into, because there's a streetlight (Doom candelabra) in the way.

E2M4: these three jabronis didn't come out and play.
Looking in the map editor, nothing triggers their prison sector (tagged 22), so they're trapped and unable to kill.

Oh, and by the way, I forgot to say it earlier, but in the E1 secret level access, I had a hot dog problem.

I found the puppy in the freezer, and rescued it, but it was so cold that it jumped straight in the fireplace, and then refused to get out.
It just got stuck there. There was no bringing it to the kennel.

E2M9: I completely bungled the puzzles there, as they flew far above my head. Fortunately, brute-forcing works, though there really was a ton of these exploding heads at the end. I retreated and sniped them safely through the window of the secret area once they started spilling into the castle part. Anyways, once the monsters weren't there anymore and after flipping every switch to see what happens, I found the solution and discovered it activates crushers in all or most of the monster closets. Problem is, these crushers lack upper textures and provoke HOMs when said monster closets are opened. Here's just one example, but all of them are affected.
Revae

Post by Revae »

Gez wrote:Stuff.
Fixed. Thanks. I'll save it for a final release.
landfill baby
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: REKKR - V1.11

Post by landfill baby »

how would i go about making sure gzdoom doesn't load lights.pk3 on the command line? i tried +autoloadlights 0 and it didn't work. +compatmode 2 seems to work, however.
edit: it works the 2nd time since it saves it in my config. i guess i'll have to set autoloadlights back to 1 afterwards
Gez

Post by Gez »

E2M6 has two untriggerable secrets.

The first and most obnoxious is this one:

It just shouldn't be flagged, as it's redundant with the larger secret sector next to it. Also it's apparently impossible to trigger even when noclipping in it.

The second is the doorway to the map. Since the floor of the map closet is slightly higher, your feet cannot touch the ground when your player mobj center is within the flagged, so you can't trigger it unless noclipping.

E2M7: again, two jabronis who can't get to the party. Though their curtain sectors do get triggered, so I'm not sure why they're stuck, all their friends managed to come. Perhaps they don't have enough vertical space to move.

E2M8: I was able to kill the boss and his minions without getting hit once. When running through the ending corridor with 200% health and armor, you can reach the end alive, and see some geometry you're probably not supposed to see. It doesn't last very long (I arrived there with just 20% health) but still. I suggest putting a walk-activated end level line a bit before just to be sure. With strafe-running, I was able to reach the end with still 70% health, enough time to take a screenshot.

E3M1: another secret that doesn't seem to register because your feet can't touch the ground when your center is in it. It's the teleport back to the starting area.

E3M1, continued: yet another pair of jabronis who miss the party.
Their problem is that the teleport destination thing is flagged to only appear on easy mode. Oops!

E3M4: a way to make the bridge work foolproof in GZDoom would be to to give a tag to sectors 120, 243, 244, 437, 438, and 439, and set up an invisible [wiki]3D floor[/wiki] for them.

E3M6: this platform has a damaging floor, which is quite inconsistent with the traditional "floor is lava" rules. (It's not like convection is simulated in any of the 23 levels I've played through before.)

Still in E3M6, the doggy tunnel is flagged as a secret even though the player can't step inside, and the room before it is already flagged as a secret anyway.

E3M7: I was hearing a monster and wondering where it was, as the area around looked perfectly clean. Checking with the automap and sure enough, there's a monster, but it's stuck in the void.

Still E3M7: there isn't a way to kill that bad guy who looks smugly at the burning death pit, is there? Do you still have some usable mobj you could repurpose for a version without the COUNTKILL flag, so that maxing is possible?
Revae

Post by Revae »

Yeah, I suppose I probably do. I could also uncheck "affects kill %" on him too, since he's only otherwise used in E3M8 which has no intermission kill counter.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

In E1M4, you can get trapped in this closet, and have to use noclip to escape:
Gez

Post by Gez »

E4M1: the shaman's brew in sector tagged 17 doesn't seem to be accessible, since nothing activates sector tag 17.

Sector #495, containing another shaman's brew, is glitched. Line 2917 causes it to have its floor raising to 8 over the highest adjacent floor, which is sector #493. So sector #495's floor go to 304+8, while its ceiling remains at 304. It seems to me only sector #493 should have the 41 tag, not sector #495. As things stand, sector #495 is not accessible, and displays a HOM (in GZDoom, you see either the blackness that replaced HOMs, or the sky).

Man, that was a confusing map. A lot of wandering around in cramped corridor, hitting switches, wondering what the heck it did, being unable to tell whether what we just did was part of normal progression or part of a secret.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Revae wrote:Yeah, I suppose I probably do. I could also uncheck "affects kill %" on him too, since he's only otherwise used in E3M8 which has no intermission kill counter.
Don't! Clearing that flag through Dehacked will alter the behavior slightly as well.
Beed28

Post by Beed28 »

Oh! The secret exit in E4M2 doesn't seem to work; you just go on to E4M3 as if you went through the regular exit.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Oh, and another thing on E4M1: the ceiling looks too low for the torches in this room:
Revae

Post by Revae »

Graf Zahl wrote:Don't! Clearing that flag through Dehacked will alter the behavior slightly as well.
Really? In what what way?
Beed28 wrote:Oh! The secret exit in E4M2 doesn't seem to work; you just go on to E4M3 as if you went through the regular exit.
Ahhh. An anti-zdoomism. Sometimes when I test something in chocolate I assume it'll work in zdoom for some reason. Thanks.
Diode

Post by Diode »

As far as vanilla doom TC's go, this is definitely up there with the very best of them. There are some map problems to fix (incorrect textures, places you can easily wander into and get stuck, etc), but other than that, really great work, particularly on the visual side.

My only sore point is that some of the weapons feel awkward or ineffective, usually due to long refire rates or non-instant shots. I found myself using weapon 4 for almost everything, even hectic situations where I initially thought I'd be better off with more firepower, but that repeating pew-pew-pew just seemed to be the easiest option time and time again, to the point that I'm often switching to other weapons to conserve its ammo, despite ammo for those other weapons being less plentiful.
ryoshenron

Post by ryoshenron »

This is amazing! This game (I hesitate to even call it a mod or a TC as this is definitely a totally new game) seems just like a long-lost FPS classic from the mid-90s. Everything seems to be commercial-quality, and I honestly feel this could have been popular as an indie game on Steam if it was released as such.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”