Can you help me with computer issue? :(

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SHayden

Can you help me with computer issue? :(

Post by SHayden »

Hi all ,
i'm having problems with computer freezing and not responding(only thing I can do is force it shut down with power button(but does not restart on its own even though automatic restart was checked in the settings in system failure),
I will provide system specs. The thing is, computer was bought used from a guy all in all computer is supposed to be freshly assembled by him with components presumably being new. I don't understand what the problem could be I searched forums and youtube and the internet I didn't find anything that could solve my problem and I don't know for hell what the problem could be. I don't want to believe graphic card or any other component is dead because that would be another expense on already spent money....
What happens is anytime during gaming(or once happened to me watching a video on steam :|) screen just turns random color that is on the screen and sound still plays glitched and overall computer is unresponsive.
Please help I tried all I could find on internet :(

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 4440S @ 2.80GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H81M-K (SOCKET 1150)
Graphics
SMB2230N (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 250 Series (C.P. Technology)
Storage
59GB SanDisk SDSSDP064G (SATA (SSD))
465GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA050 (SATA )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

P.S. My bios is up to date, all my drivers are also up-to-date, reinstalling display drivers didn't work(hell, reinstalling windows didn't work), disabling C-states in bios didn't work, disk check showed no error, same as memtest(the one that comes with windows 10), malware and virus scan didn't find a culprit....I tried a lot of things here is just some of them...)
Last edited by SHayden on Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Can you help me with computer issue? :(

Post by R4L »

Could be a myriad of problems... Do you have another computer you can use to get some diagnostic software on? If you have a spare USB thumb drive, I would use it to make a MemTest boot disk. Run MemTest on your failing machine and see if one of your DIMMs are shot. You can also check the Windows event logs for errors to see what's happening when it hangs.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

I did memtest that comes with windows 10 if it means anything and it found no issues...In the meantime I reinstalled the windows 10 with the "reset this pc" option and games still freeze. Everything else I do is fine, internet browsing, music, movies everything is ok, I can watch videos in full resolution, no freezes.
As for event logs EVERY TIME it happens, only events that occur for sure are following in chronological order:

-Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume5) is healthy. No action is needed.
-File System Filter 'FileCrypt' (10.0, ‎2070‎-‎12‎-‎16T01:13:56.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.
-File System Filter 'npsvctrig' (10.0, ‎2094‎-‎02‎-‎20T12:14:30.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager.
-The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
-Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: NIC compliance

P.S. I'm not very good with computers and stuff so I may not understand some more complicated things.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

Heat can also lock up a computer. Have you checked your temperatures? Modern CPUs and GPUs can stand a decent amount of heat, though, compared to back in the day.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

RexS wrote:Heat can also lock up a computer. Have you checked your temperatures? Modern CPUs and GPUs can stand a decent amount of heat, though, compared to back in the day.
Yes, that too that I didn't mention. Heat is definitely not a problem since I also did benchmark test programs whatever like heaven benchmark and with HWinfo I checked the temperature and it never got above 70°C if my memory serves me.
But opening the case it's not hot inside, it has 5 fans in total I think and I never even felt not stream of heat or inside the computer itself and case is always cold on touch. PSU is LC420H-12 V1.3 420W and it should be enough right?
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Are you sure the system is stable when doing CPU intensive tasks? You could try with system stability tester.
This looks like a hardware problem, do capacitors on your graphics card and mobo look good (no bulging)?

Could be a bad contact between your graphics card and the pci-e slot or a bad pci-e slot. You could try extracting the card and cleaning the contacts on both sides (dust, use contact cleaner or just a small paintbrush or whatever) but be careful of static.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

drfrag wrote:Are you sure the system is stable when doing CPU intensive tasks? You could try with system stability tester.
This looks like a hardware problem, do capacitors on your graphics card and mobo look good (no bulging)?

Could be a bad contact between your graphics card and the pci-e slot or a bad pci-e slot. You could try extracting the card and cleaning the contacts on both sides (dust, use contact cleaner or just a small paintbrush or whatever) but be careful of static.
Will try system stability test, and also cleaning the contacts and pci-e slots. Thank you and I'll update once I do it of the situation. Just today again I measured gpu status while playing world of tanks and on low settings temperature never exceeded 44 degrees celsius and it wasn't even fully engaged and still achieved more than double the 60 fps. Sorry for lousy response I'm on my phone about to go to sleep.
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

See if you have access to the Windows Event Viewer and look to see if there are any critical errors from around the time the system hung up. That's about all I can suggest.
R4L
Global Moderator
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

You can use a free program like BlueScreenView by Nirsoft to read Windows crash dumps too. It gives you a lot of information that you can plug into Google, and could potentially lead to a fix.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

Ok, I pulled out the GPU out and thoroughly cleaned contacts and pci-e port, also I increased GPU fan cooling slightly with MSI afterburner (just in case). I'll play some games soon and report here if it freezes again.
Thank you all and fingers crossed.

EDIT: It happened again...i'm almost ready to give up :blergh:
this is the screen I get when it crashes, it can be any color not just this one(it can be green, light blue, grey.....) and sound glitches, nothing works but power-button shut down and restart
https://imgur.com/a/iA7e9mo
I suppose bluescreenview didn't find anything because it's not a blue screen of death, and it doesn't create any kind of dump file...idk i'm not into that
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Can you try your graphics card on a different machine or a different card on your board?
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

drfrag wrote:Can you try your graphics card on a different machine or a different card on your board?
I don't have other graphics card that I could put on my pc my dad has nvidia gtx 660 but its power requirements are apparently higher than my PSU can provide(420Wt) and card needs minimum 450 Wt....i could try the other way around - my card in his rig if ports are compatible anyway
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

This looks like the gpu is slowly ... going away.

Yes, you can try your gpu card in your dads pc with no problem. Yes, the ports are the same.
SHayden

Post by SHayden »

ramon.dexter wrote:This looks like the gpu is slowly ... going away.
Worst case scenario.... :melancholy:

EDIT: I just got amd radeon software, some audio and display driver updates, I doubt it will solve the problem but I still keep hope alive lol :laff:

Return to “Off-Topic”