Can't run .pk3 files on Debian GNU/Linux

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
takedownman

Can't run .pk3 files on Debian GNU/Linux

Post by takedownman »

Here's my "log"

Code: Select all

gzdoom --file Guncaster.pk3 
GZDoom g3.4.1 - 2018-06-13 23:44:12 +0200 - SDL version
Compiled on Jun 16 2018

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding /opt/gzdoom/gzdoom.pk3, 625 lumps
 adding /opt/gzdoom/zd_extra.pk3, 132 lumps
 adding /home/jollyjester/.config/gzdoom/Doom.wad, 2306 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
  Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
  Family 15, Model 4, Stepping 10
  Features: SSE2 SSE3 HyperThreading
I_InitSound: Initializing OpenAL
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for 4294967295, skipping unlock
  Opened device Built-in Audio Analog Stereo
  EFX enabled
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
script parsing took 397.72 ms
R_Init: Init Doom refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Using video driver x11
GL_VENDOR: nouveau
GL_RENDERER: Gallium 0.4 on NVA8
GL_VERSION: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.6 (Core profile)
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 3.30

Max. texture size: 8192
Max. texture units: 16
Max. varying: 60
Max. uniform block size: 65536
Uniform block alignment: 256
Resolution: 640 x 480
libWildMidi(_WM_InitReader:52): ERROR Unable to load  (No such file or directory)
gzdoom: Unable to load sound font
Unable to create FluidSynth MIDI device. Falling back to OPL
_mental_

Re: Can't run .pk3 files on Debian GNU/Linux

Post by _mental_ »

Command line switch is -file, with one hyphen.
takedownman

Post by takedownman »

_mental_ wrote:Command line switch is -file, with one hyphen.
Thanks, that fixed it
Heh, such a stupid mistake
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

No, that is not stupid. Stupid would've been everything you DIDN'T do - i.e. blamed GZDoom and came here angrily accusing the devs for breaking it on Linux. ;)

That being said, GZDoom is and always has been a Windows application, first and foremost, not a Linux one. And while it works just fine on Linux, what that basically means is this: the command-line switches were originally designed for people running it on DOS, not Linux, so using single hyphens is much more common. That also follows Doom's DOS ancestry, where the command-line switches were all specified with a single hyphen there, as well. (Ironically, it begs to wonder why they didn't pick DOS's common slash "/switch" usage rather than the hyphenated, but I guess being originally on NeXTSTEP had something to do with that too)

If Doom had started out on Linux, I am sure the command line would've required double-hyphens, as you are used to.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Rachael wrote: If Doom had started out on Linux, I am sure the command line would've required double-hyphens, as you are used to.

Having had the "pleasure" to work on Unix workstations when I was at the university back in the early 90's I somewhat doubt that. I cannot remember that tools back then were using those. Instead, most tools just had some cryptic options with single hyphens. I think the double hyphen stuff eventually got added as a secondary option to reduce the user-unfriendliness of what Unix originally was.

(BTW, the NeXT's we got in the third semester were a major leap forward compared to the crap we had to bother with before (i.e. text mode only remote terminals to one single server all students had to use. My god, that was slooooowwwww.)
Gez

Post by Gez »

By the way, the -file switch is basically optional with GZDoom, this allows to perform simple drag-and-drop of mods to load on the executable. So "gzdoom Guncaster.pk3" ought to work just as well.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Drag-dropping onto an executable may be file manager dependent on Linux, at least it doesn't apply to Thunar (Xfce destop environment). Additionally GZDoom may not be set up as an /opt style install depending on where you get it from. Some sources uses the *nix style where the executable, data files, and docs are in separate directories so it'd be more awkward. The way I have it set up is with Bash aliases. Fairly traditional and not that friendly but it works. Also with the Xfce terminal you can drag-drop files onto it and it'll add them as paths.

@Graf
Standard X11 programs like xterm still use single hyphens for all options, and so do some of the coreutils like find. Outside of that though most use one for single character and two for longer.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

fakemai wrote:Drag-dropping onto an executable may be file manager dependent on Linux, at least it doesn't apply to Thunar (Xfce destop environment). Additionally GZDoom isn't set up as an /opt style install (don't know if it can or not), it uses the *nix style where the executable, data files, and docs are in separate directories so it'd be more awkward. The way I have it set up is with Bash aliases. Fairly traditional and not that friendly but it works. Also with the Xfce terminal you can drag-drop files onto it and it'll add them as paths.
Is that comparable to a portable version in Windows? Theoretically it shouldn't be too hard to set up the engine to do that, because it's the default for Windows.
But as things are, much of how it works on Linux was defined by people who were deep into the standard setup procedure where files are spread across the directory tree.
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

Sorry I amended that post after checking something. You can definitely do a single directory install as that's how the official Ubuntu package is set up, with a couple of things in the standard *nix tree for menu integration. If you just run the executable from a file manager (at least the one I use but I suspect the other major DEs also do it) it sets the current working directory to where it is, which is a default search path for its PK3s and IWADs. Not soundfonts but that's a simple addition to the default config if desired. Fluidsynth uses a default system-wide soundfont anyway.

Also my mistake apparently you can drag-drop to executables in Thunar, but not onto shell scripts (EDIT: That's a hidden option as per this thread) and with how GZDoom (plus other self-compiles) are built on my system and in the official package they aren't actually recognized as an executable for some reason. I'll take that up with them assuming it isn't already fixed.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”