The Joy of Mapping 5: Winter Weekend - FINAL.

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: The Joy of Mapping 5: Winter Weekend - BETA 2 RELEASED!

Post by Wiw »

Is there a possibility of a new JoM coming around?
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

I would like one to.
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Gotta finish JOM 4 and 5 before start thinking of 6 :P
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

Just finished playing it and I have to say I'm impressed.
Turret49

Post by Turret49 »

I can't seem to get this to work on GZDoom 3.3.2. :( Something changed that just isn't agreeing with JoM5.
Spaceman333

Post by Spaceman333 »

Turret49 wrote:I can't seem to get this to work on GZDoom 3.3.2. :( Something changed that just isn't agreeing with JoM5.
I got the same error, can't play the mappack either. :(
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Yep JOY 4 and 5 just got abandoned and never finished. Can't even play Joy 5. It's really sad they looked good :(
Gutawer
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Gutawer »

Guys:
Jimmy wrote:Sorry, that happens due to our MAPINFO referencing an event handler that doesn't exist. Not sure how it happened in the first place but it does indeed break in the current version of GZDoom.

Hotfix coming real soon. In the meantime, you can safely remove the "MenuHandler" keyword from the "MAPINFO.game" file in the PK3.
Just go into the MAPINFO.game file in the pk3 and remove "MenuHandler". Then you'll be able to play.
Rex705 wrote:Yep JOY 4 and 5 just got abandoned and never finished. Can't even play Joy 5. It's really sad they looked good :(
It's not abandoned, we just haven't got around to properly releasing it yet.
Turret49

Post by Turret49 »

Gutawer wrote:Guys:
Wow, I feel stupid now, I hadn't checked the previous page of the thread since I felt it was a more recent, unreported bug at the time. :oops: Thank you.
Jimmy

Re: The Joy of Mapping 5: Winter Weekend - FINAL.

Post by Jimmy »

I am overjoyed to - finally - announce that this edition of The Joy of Mapping has been released in full, and is awaiting approval on /idgames.

I would like to apologise profusely to the participants of this project for the nearly year-long wait for the project to get to this point. I have no excuses. It won't happen again.

Download Links:
/idgames Mirror
Dropbox Mirror
Powerhouse Mirror

The above crash has been addressed, obviously.
You'll find a new "pistol starts" switch in the hub - special thanks to m8f for allowing me to use their ZScript wizardry in this.
The map order has also been changed slightly - AtroNx's E2 map is now in E3 where it originally was, and SOSU's map was removed per request.
A few of the maps have had little fixes - nothing particularly major.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Nobody has anything to say, huh?

Well I just finished episode 1 and it was a good time. OH BOY EVERY MAP WAS SO EASY. Wartorn and Pinchy probably screwed me over the most. Really living up to your names there, guys. Wartorn hiding chaingunners behind trees and Pinchy PINCHING ME IN WITH IMPS AND CACOS AND LOST SOULS AND IT HURT SO MUCH.
Went from relaxing stroll to slaughtery dance off. Episode 2 can't possibly let me down. I hope.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Hope the rest of the set lives up to the hype! Cheers for the feedback, Slax.

And yeah, a little weird, but it seems new levelsets don't get nearly as much attention on these boards as say, mods and stuff do.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Just don't go thinking that I was laying down anything too serious there. Good fun overall. :thumb:
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Better post an update before this stuff completely leaves my brain.

Been a few days since I finished episode 2. E2M6 was my favorite. Beautiful (much like every other map), fitting music, good flow. Feels good, man! Nothing too crazy yet.
E2M11? Oh, man. Oh. OH. Difficulty spike. Spikes! Through my skin! I'm still bleeding. UV suddenly got real. Really real. I died a lot. A whole lot. Quicksaves kept me sane. Felt like it should have been the penultimate map. (Platforming while emptying the chaingun into a couple of angry plasma spiders, some mean bastard on my ass and a rogue chaingunner down below. 10 or so health left. PLEASE NO. I WANT OUT.) E2M12 felt like a cool breeze on a hot summer day after all of that mad dancing and scavenging.
E2Final was just fine up until the boss fight. Water and big fat corpses blocking line of sight. Oh man. Like getting a clean shave with sand paper and a cheese grater. You can do it but it takes a very long time and you're more than likely going to get messed up in the process. (Really should have saved that BFG. SHIT.)

Just about done with E3. Cleared map 10 a while ago.
I don't like water levels. The salt water leaves a bad taste in my mouth and I can't enjoy anything for a long time. "I hope I don't have to go swimming again" runs through my head and I can't shut it off.
Some sections destroy me but at least there's always at least one trick or escape route around to save my skin. Just takes a few tries to get there or find it. Really though, I just wanted most of the diving maps to be over with as soon as I got in the water so I tried to rush through most of them, often unsuccessfully. Less diving and more of that good ol' Doom towards the end of the episode and that's good. Difficult stuff but nothing impossible. Fun with the right mindset GOD DAMN YOU WATER.
Probably won't be revisiting E3 anytime soon. Ran into some weird slope issue at one point too. E3M6. A knight bumbling around, walking along the bottom part of a slope. I couldn't hit the guy. Everything went straight through him. I was above him on some catwalk I think. Possibly a known issue with 3D stuff? Oh well.

I'm starting to think that pistol start was a good choice. Full health and always a shotgun to be picked up. Running in with a full arsenal would just be... unsatisfying? Yeah. I think so.
I hope you're dry as a bone, E4.

DOOT: E3 had a great finale. Very nice. Inb4 Eternal snags the teleporting bossvile idea.

DOOT 2.0: E4. I don't like platforming with no air control. Frustration set in fast. Don't even remember most of the maps. Just a blur of bewilderment. By far the weakest episode. What happened? Finale felt straight up busted (on purpose?). Run on hurtfloor, use pillar. Wait, that's it? The end. Five million question marks. E4M9 was a good time at least.
Just gonna ignore the secret maps.
Suppose JoM 6 is up next. Expect a necropost in a thread near you.

Return to “Levels”