[Release] Freaky Panties

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
YukiRaven
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[Release] Freaky Panties

Post by YukiRaven »

Quick Overview:
  • Singleplayer only
  • This is for GZDoom 3.4.x or higher (a few versions earlier might work as well)
  • This uses Doom2.wad for the IWAD
  • You must include brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3, both of which come with GZDoom
  • dmflags/dmflags2 are both expected to be set to 0
  • Mouselook is required.
  • The hardware renderer is required. So be sure to enable dynamic lights and high resolution textures. Enabling bloom and/or Shadowmaps is encouraged, but not necessary.
  • Additional mods are not supported
  • Designed for a widescreen resolution (16:9, 16:10, etc) of at least 1280x720
Freaky Panties is an experimental level for GZDoom that adjusts itself to how well you play. If you're playing well, it will get a bit harder. If you start to die too often, it will scale back the difficulty automatically. Essentially I tried to make the map adjust itself without ever having to set a monster or item to only appear on certain difficulty settings. It's not a serious piece of work, just an experiment and a level that's hopefully sorta fun.

Much of the difficulty adjustment deals with how much damage you take, also known as your damage factor, and how often you die. The default damage factor is 1.0, but if you start to die too often, it will drop quite a bit, depending on your health. Occasionally the level will try to gently increase the difficulty back up to keep things from getting too easy. Because of this, things might feel off at first until the level adjusts itself to you.

Use of regular quicksaves/quickloads is encouraged and will NOT break the level. Use of the resurrect console command will also not break it. The level will autosave exactly once at the very beginning; this is normal and is required to make sure a few corner cases work right. If you don't have autosaves enabled, just be sure to save once yourself at the very beginning :^)

There's a new option menu to enable some statistics output if you desire. I might cut this out and turn it into its own mod one of these days.

The music was done by me and is under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license. The title of the song is "Overdrive" if you're curious.

Freaky Panties can be downloaded here: http://alexa.partition36.com/files/doom/fpanties.zip
Readme file is here: http://alexa.partition36.com/files/doom/fpanties.txt

My past releases (Umbra of Fate, Shadows of The Nightmare Realm, Extreme Terror, One Doomed Marine, and Temple of Azathoth) are all available here: http://alexa.partition36.com/doom/

Thanks to leodoom85 for the Doom Comic image XD

Screenshots:

Plus a few more in this Imgur album.

Enjoy!
Last edited by YukiRaven on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leodoom85

Re: [Release] Freaky Panties

Post by leodoom85 »

my doom comic image is not showing ;)
YukiRaven

Post by YukiRaven »

Whoops, fixed
GeneralDelphox

Post by GeneralDelphox »

This is a nice map, but my only nitpick about it is that the 'custom' weapons included in this kinda breaks weapon mods.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

GeneralDelphox wrote:This is a nice map, but my only nitpick about it is that the 'custom' weapons included in this kinda breaks weapon mods.
Additional mods are not supported
That's why...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

GeneralDelphox wrote: but my only nitpick about it is that the 'custom' weapons included in this kinda breaks weapon mods.
Weapon mods are not supposed to be the reason why mappers should restrict their options.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Pantsu? I better check this out when I can.

Update: The pacing was on point, which I guess is expected. Every encounter was fair and balanced, even those involving archviles :P. Also the map is really pretty. I noticed baron projectiles are really fast, which seems to be a common thing in all your maps. It kinda screws with my muscle memory for dodging them.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

I rate this pantsu out of 5.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:The pacing was on point, which I guess is expected. Every encounter was fair and balanced, even those involving archviles :P. Also the map is really pretty. I noticed baron projectiles are really fast, which seems to be a common thing in all your maps. It kinda screws with my muscle memory for dodging them.
Hey, it was a blast testing this map a lot. It was worth it :p
And yes, baron's projectiles are reeeeeally fast, so your reflexes must be on point. Same for that floating poisonous fucker.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I would like to point out that to make shaders fully compatible with OpenGL Core Profile texture2D() should be replaced with texture() function.
Otherwise GZDoom aborts with the following fatal error on macOS (and probably somewhere else with a too strict shader compiler).

Code: Select all

Execution could not continue.
Unable to load shader glasswarp:
Init Shader 'glasswarp':
Fragment shader:
ERROR: 0:63: Invalid call of undeclared identifier 'texture2D'

Linking:
ERROR: One or more attached shaders not successfully compiled
The same applies to shaders in Umbra of Fate too.

I have no problem with fixing them by hand. At the same time, we saw many cases when users blamed GZDoom and/or mod developers for implementation oddities in their operating systems.
YukiRaven

Post by YukiRaven »

Ahh, good to know. Thank you! I'm only able to test on Windows and Slackware Linux, where it worked fine, and hadn't read that anywhere while I was learning the basics of GLSL.
YukiRaven

Post by YukiRaven »

Here's my own play through of it.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

I'm looking through the zscript now, and I've got an absolutely *insane* idea.

I think you could actually make this weapon-mod compatible if you moved the player logic to a thinker and replaced the custom projectile speed logic with an event handler that checks if objects have the MISSILE flag and adjusts their speed with A_ChangeVelocity.

EDIT: You could also probably drop the ACS entirely and use WorldThingDied to manipulate cvars.
Lycanite

Post by Lycanite »

Was just recommending this map to someone and then figured I should mention that I liked Overdrive (the music to this map) so much that's it's now been my ringtone for about 4 years!
Void Warrior

Post by Void Warrior »

I tried to launch "Freaky Panties", but it always ends with this:

Code: Select all

Shader 'glasswarp' could not be compiled:
ERROR: 0:63: 'sampler/image' : cannot construct this type 
ERROR: 0:63: '' : compilation terminated 
ERROR: 2 compilation errors.  No code generated.
Explain what the startup problem is? GZDOOM 4.8.2, did not use mods, turned on the necessary parameters.

Return to “Levels”