ZDoom project ideas you have

Discuss anything ZDoom-related that doesn't fall into one of the other categories.
RockstarRaccoon

Re: ZDoom project ideas you have

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

I still can't shake this idea that I have in my head for a fanfic/partial-conversion where Twilight Sparkle is experimenting with portal technology to create a fast-travel between Canterlot and the Crystal Empire, which creates a portal through hell, because that's just what's between the walls of reality. Rainbow Dash has to save her, obviously. There would be 3 episodes, one to get from Ponyville to the Canterlot Anomaly, one to get through the Crystal Empire which has been pulled into the shores of Hell, and one to go through the Inferno to free Princess Luna from the sarcophagus they locked her in after she went on a demon-killing spree eith her sword. (Because that's a thing now, apparently) Rainbow would have horseshoes and gusts of wind instead of punching and a pistol, her wing blades instead of a chainsaw, a crossbow instead of a shotgun, the Doom Slayer's super shotgun, and a bunch of other pony-flavored weapons leading up to a Rainbow beam instead of the BFG. She would also be able to fly, meaning the levels woukd be traversible in 3D. There would also be points where other ponies, like Pinkie Pie, Shining Armor, and Spitfire, show up to help with their own cannon combat abilities.

This is what you lost because I had to go work on Membrane instead. XD
Soldier993

Post by Soldier993 »

So, I had this idea in my head for a long time but due to my limited skills, I can't really make a mod.

Story

So, basically you play as a Japanese young girl, named Mieko, around the age of 20, with beige twin tails, gothic dress & she was a part of the occult that her family took part, in order to find a better life. So, she frequented the rituals, led by a woman named Hisaya, who is yet to be known for manipulating people's ignorance for her own gain. But the rituals are almost at the end & her family & many other people attending prepare for the salvation. However, Meiko knew it was a trick as she herself didn't believe in post-life but attended because she loved her family & was happy to be with them.
Last ritual wasn't like any previous ones. It started to consume people's souls & use them for the demons to enter our world. Meiko was shocked but the rest of people were impressed, despite the horror. She ran away & hid herself what appears to be a shack full of weaponry. Hidden, she was disturbed as she listened to the sounds of growling, screams & whatnot but what scared her the most is the fact she knew her beloved parents have been consumed.
She grinded her teeth in anger, grabbed a pistol & set out to seek truth & justice. Sadly, after what she has witnessed, she never smiled again.
Hisaya would be an antagonist, who finally got the power she wanted to terrorize humanity with it....and possibly more.

The first episode would take place in a dark forest with typical weaponry. Punches & kicks, handgun, shotgun, sub MG & a crossbow with explosive darts.

Inventory would be accessible with items to help Meiko in her quest, like portable medkit, spike-heeled boots for greater melee damage, etc...

HUD would be DooM-like with Meiko's face in the bottom center with health indicator, obviously.

Demons would be Japanese-style with some creepy not-necessarily-Japanese thrown in there.

If possible, the story could be told novel-style, like Max Payne. Or it could be as simple as Doom.

-------------

All this was inspired by Tokyo Dark & DUSK that I played.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I am currently doing some research on importing models from XCOM: Enemy Unknown (the 2012 one) into my 3d modeling application for rendering into sprite frames. Might be cool to have the full selection of aliens, soldiers, weapons and maybe even environment art in Doom.
VecterStroke

Post by VecterStroke »

I've always wanted to see a basic weapons add on. It would include five simple weapons: machine gun, rifle, grenade launcher, railgun, and unmaker. If possible, add secondary fires to existing weapons too.
Ravick

Post by Ravick »

Amuscaria wrote:A parody game opposite to Doom called Salvation (or something cheesy). Instead of fighting parodies of Hellspawn, you fight against parodies of Heavenly beings.
I had a similar idea years ago, but never worked on it beause of two reasons: I'm not skilled enought to create "angels" like monster from scratch, and the bosses would have to be (or at least ressemble) characters from current mythologies, wich are (emotionally) important for many people of the present. Imagine an "Icon of Good" with the face of Jesus or something similar, and it would be almost as offensive as Grezzo2. Or even more, as Grezzo2 seems to intentionally looks bad and lazy, and this project would try to looks like a 'well-done' and 'lot-of-work-put-in' thing.
ImpieTwo

Post by ImpieTwo »

So back in grade school when i was inventing Doom clones left and right I based one concept partly on a dream I had: a Doom engine game along the lines of Hexen, but set in the pirate era. The protagonists were adventurers who entered ancient cities and other terrible places infested with daemonic creatures, and killed them with axes, swords, old school firearms, and magic. There were different classes that I don't remember at all, and the boss maps had a weird quirk.

Each region you were purging of daemonic activity was lorded over by a supreme monster that couldn't be destroyed by your regular arsenal: you had to collect three pieces of a superweapon that could actually kill them, kinda like how in Hexen you collect three pieces of your class's ultimate weapon. The catch being, this weapon was only available in the boss map, and you had to scramble around the map looking for it while the boss hunted you down; and once you assembled the weapon and killed the boss, you lost the weapon and would have to do it again next boss fight.

I think the classes were something like a bruiser of a cavalryman, a swashbuckler who excelled with guns, and a gypsy woman who favored magic.
Hgluzowski

Post by Hgluzowski »

So... if we had 3D mods with Quake (1996) content ,and we get Chasm (1997) 3D mod ... what next ?
Thief: The Dark Project ?... or maybe Redneck Rampage ?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I've wanted to an IWAD with intentionally shitty low-resolution, low-quality graphics and lots of radially symmetrical monsters with "0" sprites (i.e. drawn from only one perspective), so that anyone can implement mod ideas that involve lots of original character designs even with very low artistic skill and not suffer horrific art style clash.

Neither got the time nor any idea if there's any real demand for such a thing though.
(and also my mapping curse)
YukiRaven
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by YukiRaven »

One idea I've had floating in my head for a few years is a Space Hulk/Zero Tolerance hybrid, where you'd have mission objectives but would also have to kill all the monsters on a map in order to progress. I'd also want to implement AI helpers, but I have no idea how I'd go about that.
killbotvii

Post by killbotvii »

Hgluzowski wrote:So... if we had 3D mods with Quake (1996) content ,and we get Chasm (1997) 3D mod ... what next ?
Thief: The Dark Project ?... or maybe Redneck Rampage ?
Funny you mention that, as someone just ported Redneck Rampage's weapons. Check out the gameplay mods board.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

A megawad that gives off an impression like it's a tall tower you have to climb, complete with trippy effects and swirling backgrounds like P3's Tartarus or the monster tower from Azure Dreams. The swirling\rotating skybox should be easy to implement

Kinda like this minus the pets and random roguelike elements:

YukiRaven

Post by YukiRaven »

Another idea I have is a vertical level where you have to fight your way up while lava slowly rises from beneath. The lava would force you to keep moving and progressing.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

YukiRaven wrote:Another idea I have is a vertical level where you have to fight your way up while lava slowly rises from beneath. The lava would force you to keep moving and progressing.

Check out 007LTSD E4M7. ;)
YukiRaven

Post by YukiRaven »

Graf Zahl wrote:
YukiRaven wrote:Another idea I have is a vertical level where you have to fight your way up while lava slowly rises from beneath. The lava would force you to keep moving and progressing.

Check out 007LTSD E4M7. ;)
Yeah, but it's not named after underwear :-P

In all seriousness, something like that, yeah. But I'd probably make it more like a vertical tube, similar to the ion01 for Quake, and a bit more frantic. Alternatively, you could make the ceiling slowly move down, like it's some sort of ancient temple trap. But I'm not sure if 3D floors can crush the player.
lea0342

Post by lea0342 »

Hello everyone i have this idea for a while now but i have zero knowledge in doom modding, i think it could not be that difficult to do but i couldnt find any already done mod that do randomization of vanilla monsters with other vanilla monsters, i could only find mods that replaces vanilla monsters with other versions of the same monsters.

So my idea is that anyone could play again any level and face other random monsters instead the ones you expect to always be there, something like this maybe is even doable for vanilla or boom ports i dont know.

Return to “General”