Refracted Reality (Formerly Infinite Void)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
killerkouhai

Refracted Reality (Formerly Infinite Void)

Post by killerkouhai »

Hey guys! I've started a little project which really seems to have picked up the pace with both the amount of attention it's been getting and the number of great mappers who've joined me. It started off with just me as something I wanted to do for myself, and I'm pleased to announce it's grown much bigger than anticipated. We're aiming for at least 10 abstract/gothic themed maps in a "void" realm. The name INFINITE VOID is just a placeholder until we can agree on a more creative, unique name for the project. 

Release date pushed back to March 1st, 2019

Joining me are:
- Bridgeburner56
- Cyano Blugron
- Leodoom85
- Poohlyash
- Xyzzy01

-requires the latest build of GZDoom
-requires jumping (freelook encouraged)
-Hardware rendering (OpenGL) required
-Enabling dynamic lights heavily suggested
-Uses DOOM2.wad

Here's a bit of a demo, my first map for it that was originally going to be standalone: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ooUCZE ... sp=sharing
Spoiler:
Also posted on Doomworld: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nite-void/
Last edited by killerkouhai on Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Melodica
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: VOID(?)

Post by Melodica »

This looks definitely interesting! And that's some really, really nice use of FIREBLU, wich is one of my unironically favourite doom textures. Can't wait to see the finished product!
SenteyHunter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by SenteyHunter »

ReX

Post by ReX »

Very atmospheric-looking.

Best wishes for your project.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Only real critique I have, is how much this reminds me of Void and Rainbow, except that it is limited to red and blue and whatever mixes can come from those. To me, that evokes the emotion of constraint and loneliness from the screenshots.

But at the same time, it does look beautiful. I think it has the potential to be a very well-done and polished project. I think that it also presents a great opportunity for this map to make up for some of the frustrations I experienced in Void and Rainbow's gameplay elements.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

In addition to Void and Rainbow, there is another wad that may make you want to reconsider your title.
killerkouhai

Post by killerkouhai »

SiFi270 wrote:In addition to Void and Rainbow, there is another wad that may make you want to reconsider your title.
Yeah, the (?) is there because right now it's just a placeholder name. I'm hoping I can come up with a creative and unique name to fit the overall theme :)
YukiRaven
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: INFINITE VOID(?)

Post by YukiRaven »

I am seriously loving the colors that you've chosen so far. A few of the shots are a bit dark, but from what I can tell it looks nicely built as well. What kind of gameplay are you aiming for?
killerkouhai

Post by killerkouhai »

YukiRaven wrote:I am seriously loving the colors that you've chosen so far. A few of the shots are a bit dark, but from what I can tell it looks nicely built as well. What kind of gameplay are you aiming for?
Haven't really worked the gameplay out yet, but some maps will be more hectic than others, while some maps will work more around puzzle solving and/or platforming. Sorta making it up as I go (n_n')
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Some update for a map that I'm doing for the project ;)

leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

MORE!!!

killerkouhai

Post by killerkouhai »

I've kinda let this thread die, since I've been showing updates more often on the doomworld thread https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nite-void/

So here, at long last, is an update.

Have some fellow mappers joining me:
- leodoom85
- MFG38
- General Roasterock

We also now have a discord! https://discord.gg/7rFzmth

Now for some screenshots:

ReX

Post by ReX »

While I like the indoor areas, the outdoor areas with the psychedelic skies are more appealing to me (mainly because they are so different from what we usually see in DooM mods).

Nice variation on your color themes too.
killerkouhai

Post by killerkouhai »

I've sorta been forgetting to update this thread as much as the DW thread:https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nite-void/

We've been making lots of progress. Have a demo of Leodoom85's map:
And here are some screenshots!

Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

So how many maps is this looking to be?

Return to “Levels”