Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.4 OUT!]

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
AvzinElkein

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.2 OUT!]

Post by AvzinElkein »

Batandy wrote:
Korell wrote:If I try to use Castlevania.ipk3 as an IWAD then I get the following error message:

Castlevania.ipk3:zscript.txt, line 3: Class name MenuHandler already exists

Which prevents it from running. If, however, I use DOOM2.WAD as the IWAD and Castlevania.ipk3 as a PWAD then it runs fine.
You are running it on an older version of Gzdoom, please update it
I hope it runs fine on v3.3.0!
Korell

Post by Korell »

Batandy wrote:
Korell wrote:If I try to use Castlevania.ipk3 as an IWAD then I get the following error message:

Which prevents it from running. If, however, I use DOOM2.WAD as the IWAD and Castlevania.ipk3 as a PWAD then it runs fine.
Nope, I'm not. I'm on GZDoom 3.3.0 which released yesterday.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Korell wrote:
Batandy wrote:

Nope, I'm not. I'm on GZDoom 3.3.0 which released yesterday.
It's working fine on my end, try doing a clean reinstall of gzdoom (put it in another folder with only Castlevania) and see what happens
Korell

Post by Korell »

Batandy wrote: It's working fine on my end, try doing a clean reinstall of gzdoom (put it in another folder with only Castlevania) and see what happens
It's okay, I figured it out. My batch file was still including it in the -file parameter as well as the -iwad parameter due to the bind variable that was calling the addon files, so it was trying to load the Castlevania.ipk3 file twice. It's all working correctly now.
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Taking fully advantage of the latest gzdoom features, i'm planning an update which will feature brand new normal and specular maps for the textures!

My main priority at this point is to complete GS2, so i can't say when i'll release this new update, but expect it at some point :)
RUNSABER

Post by RUNSABER »

Nice update Batandy, it looks like a definite homage to Castlevania 64 at this point!! Keep it going man!
CappnRob

Post by CappnRob »

This TC made me ROCK SOLID.

Any chance we might get a stand alone player/weapon pack so we can bring Simon's adventures to classic Doom and all the map packs we might have thereof? :U
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

CappnRob wrote:This TC made me ROCK SOLID.

Any chance we might get a stand alone player/weapon pack so we can bring Simon's adventures to classic Doom and all the map packs we might have thereof? :U
There are no plans for that as it would require me to do some heavy tweaks in order to make everything work with standard maps, sorry

New video with the normal and specular maps!
Mav3rick

Post by Mav3rick »

Hey Batandy u may wanna check this out ;)
https://goodmorninggamers.blogspot.com/ ... stiny.html
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

Mav3rick wrote:Hey Batandy u may wanna check this out ;)
https://goodmorninggamers.blogspot.com/ ... stiny.html
Nice review, i like how detailed it is, almost feels like one of those early days gaming magazines which had tons of hints and tips.
The Golden Souls review is also pretty good :)

The sounds are mostly taken from SOTN, they have a distinct feel which i think won't probably be everyone's cup of tea
DevilBlackDeath

Post by DevilBlackDeath »

Hey batandy ^^ Just tested SD out and it's awesome.

However I've got some issues with a room in the chapel. The one with two elevators that are "inversed" (one is up when the other is down and so on). The thing is, sometimes I just get killed. No matter my amount of health. I feel I may be crushed between the elevator and the hole that visually serve as a mechanism for the elevator. It's a bit annoying, but other than that I'm having a great time right now. Oh also it feels like the Medusa's Head and Spirits hitboxes are a bit cheap for the whip. I can hit them consistently with sub weapons but sometimes my whip will fail for 5 or 6 hits, whereas I can hit bats without issues. Unless the whip doesn't hit the center of the screen ?

Anyway great job, and can't wait for that normal map update :D

Edit : Oh also since I'm giving feedback (and yes it's mostly feedback of stuff to enhance, but it's because I love this mod and plan to come back to it multiple times once I'm done with it ^^), I don't know if it was a bug or something, but it seems the holy water damage is a tad low. I once hit a Bone Pillar with it 3 times, and still had to give it 4 swings of fully upgrade whip to kill it :S

I'd also like to know if the "fake" secret in the Chapel is a reference to something.
Batandy

Re: Castlevania: Simon's Destiny [V1.3 OUT!]

Post by Batandy »

V1.3 Is Out!

Experience Castlevania : Simon's Destiny like never before with tons of visual improvements!

Download
https://www.moddb.com/mods/castlevania- ... estiny-v13
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Surely one of the best Total Conversions for Doom. Incredible amount of polish and attention to detail.
TheLemonLimeBrony

Post by TheLemonLimeBrony »

you do realize this means "What is man? A miserable ball of secrets"
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (118.99 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Batandy

Post by Batandy »

TheLemonLimeBrony wrote:you do realize this means "What is man? A miserable ball of secrets"
pĭla,ae does mean ball, but there's also pīla,ae which means pillar.
I could've used cumulus,if i wanted something more accurate, but i chose pīla to make the easter egg understandable for people who don't know latin.
Last edited by Batandy on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”