Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
4thcharacter

Re: Compendium - Classic Megawad Compilation

Post by 4thcharacter »

Would be neat if Alien Vendetta and the Community Chest series are in. This is a good job nonetheless

Also, are the new icarus maps made in 2015 in this?
Nems
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Nems »

You're doing God's work, good sir. Keep it up. <3
Nash

Post by Nash »

Looks like we're going to need coin a new term because "megawad" doesn't even cut it here... ;)

Would be neat if the first post had a full list of all of the map packs included in this compendium.
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

Nash wrote:Looks like we're going to need coin a new term because "megawad" doesn't even cut it here... ;)
Gigawad.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Holy shit, MAPINFO is 13,000 lines. I thought I had played through most megawads but there's a ton here I've either never played or heard of. Props on getting a bunch of unknown wads on here.

e: I'm getting a (null) acs warning on each level of Realm of Chaos (gzdoom 3.4.1). I'm playing through it just fine though. Also, I blew a guy up and he did the ol' frozen in death pose, most likely a sprite conflict with Beautiful Doom. Not a big deal but figured I'd mention it.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

4thcharacter wrote:Also, are the new icarus maps made in 2015 in this?
Nope. Those maps were not made by TeamTNT.
Nash wrote:Would be neat if the first post had a full list of all of the map packs included in this compendium.
https://pastebin.com/EjN2TTm3 there you go :D
Rowsol wrote:e: I'm getting a (null) acs warning on each level of Realm of Chaos (gzdoom 3.4.1). I'm playing through it just fine though. Also, I blew a guy up and he did the ol' frozen in death pose, most likely a sprite conflict with Beautiful Doom. Not a big deal but figured I'd mention it.
The (null) acs warning is fine, it simply means there are no acs loaded for that level. I could fix it but this would involve editing around 1000 wad files...
Also, are you using compen-play.pk3? like I mentioned in the first post, that's a small gameplay mod I made, that's completely optional. Maybe that's the one giving issues?
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

I haven't played with compen-play.pk3 yet, but decided to take a look into the code and noticed that there are some enemies which don't have DoomEdNums or Replaces keywords so it looks like they wouldn't appear at all. Were they scrapped concepts or is it still in development?
Toyoch

Post by Toyoch »

Project Slipgate map02(SLP02), the button doesn't work and that won't let me pass through the broken door.

Searched Youtube for playthroughs of the original wad, and found the button in question of 5:01ish in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfa7M7e2AYc&t=353s

EDIT 1 : Another one found, so posting here to not bloat up the post count or thread itself.
Scythe map18(SCY18) and Map22(SCY22), The bridges are completely inaccessible(can't cross it, nor walk under it) so I had to noclip through them.
A bit of research revealed that the bridge is "accessible" at first, but as soon as you step on it the bridge will float you up and you won't be able to re-enter when you get out of it. And the bridge makes you stuck on the ceiling if you stay on it for too long.
Last edited by Toyoch on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Dynamo wrote:The (null) acs warning is fine, it simply means there are no acs loaded for that level. I could fix it but this would involve editing around 1000 wad files...
This warning indicates an attempt to load empty or bogus BEHAVIOR lump. Unfortunately almost all maps contain them.
Apparently it's a problem of editor that writes such useless lumps. Is it some old version of Doom Builder?

In any case, this can be solved by an external script. The idea is to check size of BEHAVIOR lumps and delete them if they are shorter than 32 bytes.
The script can be written in any language with Doom WADs handling module or class available. I prefer to use Python for this.
Let me know if you want to eliminate the warning. Of course, the script won't fix the editor if maps will be saved again in the future.
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

_mental_ wrote:In any case, this can be solved by an external script. The idea is to check size of BEHAVIOR lumps and delete them if they are shorter than 32 bytes.
The script can be written in any language with Doom WADs handling module or class available. I prefer to use Python for this.
Let me know if you want to eliminate the warning. Of course, the script won't fix the editor if maps will be saved again in the future.
You are indeed right in that I was using an outdated editor. I would very highly appreciate such a script if you could make it, thanks :D
Toyoch wrote:Project Slipgate map02(SLP02), the button doesn't work and that won't let me pass through the broken door.

Searched Youtube for playthroughs of the original wad, and found the button in question of 5:01ish in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfa7M7e2AYc&t=353s
Thanks for the report! Will be fixed in a patch soon.
DabbingSquidward wrote:I haven't played with compen-play.pk3 yet, but decided to take a look into the code and noticed that there are some enemies which don't have DoomEdNums or Replaces keywords so it looks like they wouldn't appear at all. Were they scrapped concepts or is it still in development?
Which ones?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Dynamo wrote:I would very highly appreciate such a script if you could make it, thanks :D
Here is the script. Tested with Python 2.7 only and it won't work with 3.x out of the box (sorry, I'm lazy).
Run it like with the following command line where <...> are folders with Python, this script, and Compendium respectively.

Code: Select all

"<...>\python.exe" "<...>\wad_behavior_cleaner.py" "<...>\maps"
The script will process all WAD files in a folder passed as its argument and remove bogus BEHAVIOR lumps if needed.
Old files will be stored with .bak extension just in case.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

Are there plans to add more megawads in the future?
Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

Dynamo wrote:https://pastebin.com/EjN2TTm3 there you go :D
Correct me if I'm wrong and the situation has changed, but aren't Hell to Pay and Perdition's Gate commercial megawads?
Dynamo

Post by Dynamo »

Zhs2 wrote:
Dynamo wrote:https://pastebin.com/EjN2TTm3 there you go :D
Correct me if I'm wrong and the situation has changed, but aren't Hell to Pay and Perdition's Gate commercial megawads?
Yep, as this thread shows the situation has indeed changed. There was apparently someone working on making idgames versions of these but not sure if that ended up being completed. There were further statements on Tom Mustaine's website but that appears to be down for now.
_mental_ wrote:Here is the script.
Thanks! Will be done for next version
4thcharacter wrote:Are there plans to add more megawads in the future?
Probably yes, I had a few more planned but I think 54 is a nice number for a first release.
4thcharacter

Post by 4thcharacter »

That's good to hear, I hope the Community Chest series makes it in, especially 2, 3, and 4.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”