[New download demo 1.0.1 available] Paradise Rebirth

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: [WIP] MooD

Post by gwHero »

Well, indeed a lot of work, creating a game. I try to work on it every day, but sometimes I can be busy for hours with only one detail, finding a balance between
aesthetics and functionality. Today for instance I removed the transparant background for the hud messages; it looked very nice but it annoyed me when playing, obscuring the view. So now the hud messages are displayed just directly on the screen, which is better I think. A small video to give an impression:

Bigger C

Post by Bigger C »

A) The music is...Well, I understand the stylistic choice but it sounds more like a malfunctioning MIDI than an experimental art piece. I apologize for if I come across as harsh but I think I'd get aggravated with the gameplay experience listening to that the whole game.I thought it was SFX going off sporadically at first.

B) The name MooD makes me think of that mirrored-DooM mod and I worry it might confuse people. Any possibility of EdeN as a name? :D
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Bigger C wrote:A) The music is...Well, I understand the stylistic choice but it sounds more like a malfunctioning MIDI than an experimental art piece. I apologize for if I come across as harsh but I think I'd get aggravated with the gameplay experience listening to that the whole game.I thought it was SFX going off sporadically at first.
LOL yeah I know, the music is far from ready. No, it will certainly not be playing the whole game like this. Before releasing a demo, the music will undergo a lot of changes, don't worry :)
Bigger C wrote:B) The name MooD makes me think of that mirrored-DooM mod and I worry it might confuse people. Any possibility of EdeN as a name? :D
Good suggestion. Well, up till now I like the name MooD, but maybe you have a point here. Can't tell now if I will change it, but I will certainly take this into consideration. Thanks!
Nash

Post by Nash »

I would suggest changing the project title, because I almost didn't click this thread thinking it was probably some meme mod and I don't play/have no interest for those kinds of mods... :D

Good stuff! I'll be watching this project's progress.
zrrion the insect

Post by zrrion the insect »

I also didn't look at it because I thought it was DooW which is a shame because this looks super cool. Maybe calling it M O O D or something like that would avoid confusion?
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

He guys, thank you very much for the feedback. Well, what's in a name, I feel not bound too much to the name yet and if it could rise confusion than it's certainly important enough to reconsider changing it. I'll take some time to make a thought-out decision. :)
gwHero

Re: [WIP] MooD [game title to be changed]

Post by gwHero »

I have decided that the game title will be changed, certainly after this one was announced. For instance I do like Bigger C's suggestion 'EdeN', but since I don't want any confusion with existing games, it will probably be a bit more specific. As soon as I've made up my mind, I will make the title public.

I'm happy that most scripting is done, which took really so much time, so I'm now full speed busy with mapping. I think about 80% of MAP01 is finished now, and the first small parts of MAP02 and MAP03 are created too.

New Screenshots of MAP01
R4L
Global Moderator
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 11 Pro
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by R4L »

Looking fantastic so far. The art style is great!
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

This looks really interesting. I'm wondering how the gameplay will be, but I know it will be beauty to look at. Nice work :)
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

I'm really interested in this, it sounds right up my alley! Can't wait for some sort of tech demo.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Yesterday I started an important phase in the development of the game: the composing of the music. This will not be an easy task for a non musician like me but I do have some ideas how it should sound and work with the scripts in the game. Once that is done, I will try to create a video demo of the game. I expect this to be ready within a couple of months, so stay tuned!
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Development is progressing, I am getting more and more satisfied with the result. The music has been replaced by a zscript class that plays random sounds and reacts to events in the game. What I had in mind was not just a wall of sound in the form of music tracks, but subtle sounds that are more in line with the game itself.

Also I'm busy shaping and sky hacking the outside area's. This is a tedious task because I want the game performing smoothly and yet give the area's a wide open feeling and not have monotonous and boring horizons. Still learning every day, there are some tricks I learned through the years after making many mistakes first. I've added a few screenshots to show the difference with previous ones.

Note: in the bottom right corner the hud shows the distance walked in meters/kilometers; this is the default but I added also a menu option to change it into the imperial system.
gwHero

Post by gwHero »

Today it was decided that the game formerly announced as 'MooD', will now officially be entitled 'Paradise Rebirth'. A demo video is expected to be released within weeks!

Furthermore I've been very busy with spriting; several placeholders have been replaced by better ones.
Attached screenshots of 'guardians', passive actors that guide the way through the maps.

Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Re: [WIP] MooD is now entitled 'Paradise Rebirth'

Post by Captain J »

I really love how every map looks like and moody enough to make me a lot adventurous! Those plain colored textures makes this project looks like a PSX or DOS game with no limits, in a good way. And i guess those fonts with colored BG are intentional?
gwHero

Re: [WIP] MooD is now entitled 'Paradise Rebirth'

Post by gwHero »

Captain J wrote:I really love how every map looks like and moody enough to make me a lot adventurous! Those plain colored textures makes this project looks like a PSX or DOS game with no limits, in a good way. And i guess those fonts with colored BG are intentional?
Thanks! Yes, I've been experimenting a lot with fonts but these I found best fitting.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”