DMXOPL: OPL3 Madness! (Now included in GZDOOM)

For high-res texture/sprite projects, sprite-fix patches, music add-ons, music randomizers, and other graphic/sound-only projects.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: DMXOPL: OPL3 Madness! (Now included in GZDOOM)

Post by wildweasel »

You will want any MIDI player that uses system MIDI. This can include programs like Winamp, MegaMID, or TMIDI. I don't know where to find those nowadays, but Google would help you, I'm sure.
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

I use VanBasco's Karaoke Player to play MIDIS. It's the only MIDI player that cuts out the awkward silence at the start of some MIDIS and loops in a way that doesn't sound cringy and horrible.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

I recommend using SoundFont MidiPlayer, it's really nice, you can choose any playing device you have there in the settings, and also play it with your custom sf2, setup fx and etc.

To use doom opl3 (as well as apogee) you must setup your genmidi bank files and name a desired one as GENMIDI.OP2 in the C:\OPLSynth\ directory

To set a default MIDI playback device in Windows Vista and higher, I recommend to use this application (shame to microsoft)
Attachments
PLWMidiMap.zip
(27.05 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last edited by Darkcrafter on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkcrafter
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Darkcrafter »

Although, these drivers aren't perfect :cry: but they still sound pretty good and exploit the most accurate on today Nuked OPL3 emulator.
Such a shame they can't play pitch bends correctly. Sound fonts will never replace a good OPL3 synth, sorry it will require large amounts of data to store that many samples to make it sound good, otherwise chipmunk effect is going to be presented.

Also: to use OPL3 mode of doom opl3 driver you must:
-Right click on your computer icon.
-Choose properties.
1. Advanced paramaters
2. Variable environments
3. Define a new virable environment
Create a DMXOPTION variable
Give it -opl3 flag and if you want -doom2
Attachments
S1.jpg
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

I have just tried Soundfont Midiplayer with the test MIDI I ususally use: A MIDI of "Do the Mario" From the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. I might still stick to VanBasco because this still has that looping problem I mentioned a couple days ago while VanBasco stops for about a second before looping.

EDIT: Sticking with Midiplayer.

Return to “Graphic/Audio Patches”