What is Going On With Doom 64 EX?

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
SamVision

What is Going On With Doom 64 EX?

Post by SamVision »

The download on the blog is from several years ago. Has there been a new version since the "2.5" release? If so, where can it be found?
Gez

Re: What is Going On With Doom 64 EX?

Post by Gez »

Kaiser has been hired by Nightdive and been working on other projects since, such as Turok, Turok 2, Strife VE, and Exhumed/Powerslave.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Yeah, Kaiser's been busy with a few other things lately, so there hasn't really been much in the way of further development on Doom 64 EX. I wouldn't hold your breath for any further unless someone else picks the project up.
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I thought another maintainer picked it up years ago. There's certainly still commits happening.

This is like asking where is randi and why isn't she working on zdoom anymore (which is not a stretch, given both had a dramatic shift in platform support policy as well)
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

leileilol wrote:This is like asking where is randi and why isn't she working on zdoom anymore (which is not a stretch, given both had a dramatic shift in platform support policy as well)
No it's not the same. Randi clearly announced that ZDoom development was over, whereas Doom 64 EX is still getting updates but none of them are properly released.
SouthernLion

Post by SouthernLion »

I guess I'm not up to date on development, but what needs to really be updated? I started a D64 project (that I may get back to at some point... I mean, I just horrifically lost my wife, I've kind of dropped all projects that don't immediately grab me as beneficial to coping) and Kaiser helped me tirelessly on IRC. I didn't even realize who he was until weeks later.
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

Well, there's making a version compatible with the latest MacOS (Playing it with Wine doesn't work because saves get corrupted).
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Sgt Nate V wrote:Well, there's making a version compatible with the latest MacOS (Playing it with Wine doesn't work because saves get corrupted).
Well, go report it!
Sgt Nate V

Post by Sgt Nate V »

Nah, that's been reported a few years back. Just that the guy doing the Mac port can't do shit with Macs and he knows it.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Sgt Nate V wrote:Nah, that's been reported a few years back. Just that the guy doing the Mac port can't do shit with Macs and he knows it.
Yeah. That's not his problem.

Blame Apple for it, for making it extremely difficult to develop on Apple platforms without actual Apple hardware, and realize that the developer doing Mac support is doing it for FREE.

Or download VirtualBox and a trial version of Windows Server and just run it on there.
Gez

Post by Gez »

The solution is to buy an actual computer instead of a expensively branded potato.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Gez wrote:The solution is to buy an actual computer instead of a expensively branded potato.
As much as that might be a fact, I really, really, really wish we could have threads that mention other platforms WITHOUT seeing people turning them into attacks on the people who use them. Like this:
Sgt Nate V wrote:Nah, that's been reported a few years back. Just that the guy doing the Mac port can't do shit with Macs and he knows it.
Because this disappoints me.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

wildweasel wrote:
Gez wrote:The solution is to buy an actual computer instead of a expensively branded potato.
As much as that might be a fact, I really, really, really wish we could have threads that mention other platforms WITHOUT seeing people turning them into attacks on the people who use them. Like this:
Because this disappoints me.
While I mostly agree, having discussions with "true Apple users" eventually makes one despise them for their sheer ignorance. Never mind that there's also those who still keep an open mind.

Sometimes this kind of ridicule really is the only way to deal with it.

Back on topic, the main reason why Mac support is so poor for most hobby projects is a combination of the heavy platform lock-in Apple creates with the plain and simple fact that macOS market share among the users of such software is exceedingly low. GZDoom has just 2% Mac users so don't expect to see much focus being put there, especially when Apple wants to make their devs jump through hoops which is rather frequent. You won't find many developers who are willing to deal with it.
Kinsie
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Kinsie »

Graf Zahl wrote:GZDoom has just 2% Mac users so don't expect to see much focus being put there, especially when Apple wants to make their devs jump through hoops which is rather frequent. You won't find many developers who are willing to deal with it.
Even as someone who rarely uses Mac OS for games, I'm very thankful for _mental_ being willing to put up with that stuff for the few and proud out there. Dude's a champ.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Kinsie wrote:Even as someone who rarely uses Mac OS for games, I'm very thankful for _mental_ being willing to put up with that stuff for the few and proud out there. Dude's a champ.
Thanks.

I may take a look at building macOS version of Doom 64 EX this weekend.

Return to “Off-Topic”