Stranglehold - A Boom-compatible Doom 2 level

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Sparktimus

Stranglehold - A Boom-compatible Doom 2 level

Post by Sparktimus »

Stranglehold

This is a Doom 2 boom-compatible single level replacement. I originally intended this to be part of my planned mapset 'Jaunt', but I have since decided that I have poked around with this thing for way too long and I need to release it as it's own thing to be finally done with it. It's yet another tech base (groooooan, amirite? :P) with fairly challenging gameplay. Not out to set the world on fire with this obviously, but nothing wrong with a cozy little level, right? Average par time ranges from 6-10 minutes, depending on your skill level. Difficulty ramps up about half-way through the map so be careful! It's been mostly tested for UV, but HMP and below are available as well. No new sprites or monsters, nothin' but stock textures (barring the Doom 1 sky), and the gameplay is classic. The ports I tested this with were PRBoom+, Eternity, and GZDoom.

This is the first Doom map I have ever released. It's been about 3 years in the making, 2 of which I spent only poking at it when I felt like, but 2018 was the year I really kicked into gear and pulled through with this. I am pretty happy with how it turned out and I hope you guys will enjoy it!

Special thanks to all the people I bugged to play this map and all the helpful others who provided tips and tricks. You guys know who you are. <3

Screenies:

Last edited by Sparktimus on Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Shotgun

Re: Stranglehold - A Boom-compatible Doom 2 level

Post by Dr. Shotgun »

Pretty good level. I don't think there's anything wrong with a map that just wants to create a classic styled experience. And this was pretty solid in that regard. Texture work was pretty good; I didn't notice anything that seemed out of place, and the trimming seemed thorough.

Navigationally I didn't have any problems. I generally knew what my objective was and when I didn't the options to proceed were small so I'd stumble into the objective anyway. Every room was distinct, so I barely needed the automap.

I 100%'d the level in about 10 minutes, and played it on zDoom 2.8.1. There weren't any technical issues of note, though I do have to wonder why the island in the imp room for the plasma secret was a damaging floor. I don't quite get that.
Sparktimus

Post by Sparktimus »

Dr. Shotgun wrote:I 100%'d the level in about 10 minutes, and played it on zDoom 2.8.1. There weren't any technical issues of note, though I do have to wonder why the island in the imp room for the plasma secret was a damaging floor. I don't quite get that.
Total bug. Thank you for bringing that to my attention :P
Rex705

Post by Rex705 »

Here is a nice little video :)

Last edited by Rex705 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparktimus

Post by Sparktimus »

Updated the OP with a new version and an /idgames link!

Return to “Levels”