BRZRZK [1.1] - Modern Robot Zapping

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
FFFFRRRR

Re: BRZRZK [1.1] - Modern Robot Zapping

Post by FFFFRRRR »

Today is the day,

*Version 1.1 is available!*

Check the start post for more info, changelog and download!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=60701#p1056008

Thank you for all of your feedback, it greatly helps improving my work. Feel free to report any issues you may have with it!
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Holy fuck Otto makes this terrifying.
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

I think you should change the player friction , considering that the walls are an insta-kill.

By example:
Friction 0.99999999999999999999999000000

Makes the player movement less slipery so it's easier to handle
EddieMann

Post by EddieMann »

Oh man am I a big sucker for 80's games redone in a doom format - perhaps you could make a version that runs on Chocolate Doom/Crispy Doom for extra "retro" feel. Definitely have that "chicken, fight like a robot" sound file play on quit.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

SamVision wrote:Holy fuck Otto makes this terrifying.

El_Sombrerero wrote:I think you should change the player friction , considering that the walls are an insta-kill.

By example:

There is something that does what you want, I believe:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35761
Use this until I release another version. Possibly gonna include it and make it optional - the creator kindly allows people to use it in their projects.
EddieMann wrote:Oh man am I a big sucker for 80's games redone in a doom format - perhaps you could make a version that runs on Chocolate Doom/Crispy Doom for extra "retro" feel. Definitely have that "chicken, fight like a robot" sound file play on quit.
I'm gonna be honest, I never used chocolate doom, so I don't know a whole lot about it. It does need to support ACS, Decorate and UDMF.
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

FFFFRRRR wrote:
El_Sombrerero wrote:I think you should change the player friction , considering that the walls are an insta-kill.

By example:

There is something that does what you want, I believe:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=35761
Use this until I release another version. Possibly gonna include it and make it optional - the creator kindly allows people to use it in their projects.
This is not about what I want, I'm giving you an option .
Spoiler:
But my point is that slipery movement in a mod which is very precision based can lead to very frustrating gameplay. That ZSCript code from Nash is probably what you need.
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

Otto needs some sort of pathfinding, like regular Doom enemies he homes in on the player instead of trying to find them.
FFFFRRRR

Post by FFFFRRRR »

El_Sombrerero wrote: This is not about what I want,
El_Sombrerero wrote: That ZSCript code from Nash is probably what you need.
That is exactly what I told you to use in the meantime.
El_Sombrerero wrote:
Spoiler:
Thank you, but since I can use Nash's code, it won't be necessary.
El_Sombrerero wrote: But my point is that slipery movement in a mod which is very precision based can lead to very frustrating gameplay.
That is true, although I never felt a problem with the movement being slippery. Mabye I'm just too used to it. Like I said, it will be an option.
SamVision wrote:Otto needs some sort of pathfinding, like regular Doom enemies he homes in on the player instead of trying to find them.
Not sure if I can follow you here. You mean he should be more or less effective?
Dude27th

Post by Dude27th »

FFFFRRRR wrote:
El_Sombrerero wrote: Stuff
More stuff in response
I think you kinda misunderstood what I was saying ... But it doesn't really matter :3. I kinda wanted to reply this because in retrospective I think some of my replies could have been a little rude , in the form that I was talking , so sorry for that :/.

And yeah that Nash code would be a great addition !
SamVision

Post by SamVision »

FFFFRRRR wrote:Not sure if I can follow you here. You mean he should be more or less effective?
The problem is that Otto will get stuck on level geometry if there is a corner between you and him, if you exploit that you can spend theoretically infinite amount of time within a level which goes against Otto main function.
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Manjaro/Win 8.1
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by TDRR »

A_FastChase should do the trick, because it makes the calling actor chase the target faster than normal while strafing at random.

Or, you can simply use A_CheckIfTargetInLOS (not sure if i wrote that correctly) or a short range projectile to check if there's a wall nearby and push Otto either left or right at random.
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

So i played it for few minutes and this is really impressive! You really followed the original game really well. However it's kinda hard to play; sometimes when i enter the new chamber, the robots would stand right in front of me and zap me to death, without giving me a chance. Also it seems the walls are very narrower than the original game. It's a death sentence when you see Evil Otto in narrow space plus dead end.

It's challenging and nice game to play for hours. Also one more thing; When i exit the chamber when Evil Otto is about to be spawned, He spawns very closer to me and kills me as soon as i move. And i expected some robot voices from the arcade one, but i heard nothing but beep bloops... Oh well!

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”