TEAM ROCKET: Blasting Off at the Speed of Mapping - RELEASED

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

TEAM ROCKET: Blasting Off at the Speed of Mapping - RELEASED

Post by Jimmy »

Download the TEAM ROCKET megawad - v2 (8.7MB)
Requires PrBoom+ or GZDoom. Not fully tested in Eternity.
Everyone is credited in the trocket_credits.txt file.
Spoiler: Click this for screenshots! (Big)
=====

Team Rocket comprises AD_79, Dragonfly, Jimmy and MTrop, four experienced Doom mappers who together will be livestreaming an audience-sponsored endurance speedmapping event - one that you can help support.

Join them on June 23rd, 2018 as they embark on objectively the most insane thing they've ever done.

The four mappers will be mapping in one "sitting" for as long as they possibly can. They are of course permitted to take refreshment/restroom breaks and regularly depart from the computer to move and stretch, so as not to completely burn out. Through their combined efforts, some loosely preconceived ideas for the maps they'll be making, and the encouragement of you, the viewer, they hope to run for at least 16 hours, and create a megawad of speedmaps between them, in however long it takes.

Let's face it, there is no proper answer to this question aside from "why the hell not"?

Jimmy raised the idea of "endurance speedmapping" a few months back, which applied more to a single individual mapping an entire megawad in one sitting, but the idea provoked a good amount of discussion. Dragonfly, interested by the idea, asked a few individuals to join a team-based effort in this regard, and have this group together spread the workload.

The name "Team Rocket" was thought of at 3am while Jimmy was tired.

You can watch on Dragonfly's Twitch stream. The others will not be streaming; instead we will all be in a Discord screenshare call and Dragonfly will be broadcasting all the shared screens in one stream.

Please come along to provide ideas and encouragement!

DragonflyOS @ Twitch -> https://www.twitch.tv/dragonflyos

The livestream will be commencing at 4:30am UTC on June 23rd, 2018. The countdown timer to the event is below. For what time that is in your timezone, visit everytimezone.com, also linked below.

Countdown -> http://itsalmo.st/#teamrocketstream
Everytimezone -> https://everytimezone.com

This will be no small feat, obviously. But you as a viewer can participate directly in the creation of this project. If you would like to motivate the mappers to keep going, you can sponsor this stream with a donation!

Donate here -> https://twitch.streamlabs.com/dragonflyos
List of incentives -> http://bit.ly/TeamRocketInfo

When you donate, you have the power to support the mappers and change the outcome of the stream! You will be able to make special requests about the maps being made, give the mappers special limitations, give us inspirational material to work from, even pick the music we listen to - and any donation in Tier 1 or beyond will get your name in the project's credits.

This stream marks the first time we've tried anything like this, so it should prove interesting!

---

Meowth, that's right!
Last edited by Jimmy on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
eharper256

Re: Team Rocket: Blasting Off at the Speed of Mapping - Jun

Post by eharper256 »

Sounds interesting to watch, though there's no way I'll see the start, that's 4:30 am for me. XD
Revae

Post by Revae »

I'll be gone for it, but I'll watch the replay if it's saved, and definitely play the wad.. Sounds like a neat challenge.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

Four days to go and I think we're all pretty hyped for this. Bookmark the thread and mark the date! The stream will be saved if you do happen to miss it. And don't be afraid to get your donations in right now to ensure we'll get to them.

In other news, a warm welcome to MTrop who has hopped aboard this rocket and will be joining us on the 23rd.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

TEAM ROCKET brings you 34 maps, all made within less than a day, shaped by you, our viewers. We would like to thank our audience, all the guest mappers who helped us achieve a full megawad in such a short span of time (just under 21 hours!), and all the texture artists and musicians whose work we used to put this together. And from the bottom of all of our hearts, may we thank the donators whose wonderful generosity made many of these maps possible.

Download the TEAM ROCKET megawad - v2 (8.7MB)
Requires PrBoom+ or GZDoom. Not fully tested in Eternity.
Everyone is credited in the trocket_credits.txt file.
Spoiler: Click this for screenshots! (Big)
Maplist:

Code: Select all

MAP01: Jim Bagrow's Small Night In - AD_79
MAP02: Teahouse - Jimmy
MAP03: Uncle Touchy's Magic Puzzle Basement - Matt Tropiano
MAP04: Coat Hangar - Dragonfly
MAP05: Skyspace V - Xyzzy01
MAP06: Process of Elimination - Dragonfly
MAP07: Obsidian Archetype - AD_79
MAP08: Meanwhile at the Harbor - FloatRand
MAP09: Acceleration - Dragonfly
MAP10: The Oppressor - AD_79
MAP11: Down With The Thiccness - Matt Tropiano

MAP12: Little Savage - Jimmy
MAP13: Dominohoes - Dragonfly
MAP14: Cobble - AtronxGH
MAP15: Roadkill - Dragonfly
MAP16: Frank Lloyd Wrong's Aqueduct - Matt Tropiano
MAP17: Petrichor Gardens - Jimmy
MAP18: Pinch Me I Must Be Dreaming - Dragonfly
MAP19: Deluge of Ashes - AD_79
MAP20: Vile Remnants - AD_79

MAP21: Jog On - Dragonfly
MAP22: Soup Pot - Dragonfly
MAP23: Bug Collection - Jimmy
MAP24: Tenderizing Romp - Breezeep
MAP25: Lands Betwixt - Matt Tropiano
MAP26: This Is Your Afterlife - Jimmy
MAP27: Snow Problem - Matt Tropiano
MAP28: Den of Skreevil - Jimmy
MAP29: Papyrus Containing the Spell to Summon the Breath of Life Enshrined in
       the Collected Scrolls of Sheryl Crow - AD_79
MAP30: End of Days - Matt Tropiano

MAP31: Sleep Forever - Dobu Gabu Maru
MAP32: Neon Ignition - Dragonfly
MAP33: Inner Demons - Dragonfly
MAP34: Vermilion - AtronxGH
MAP35: Hall of Fame - Dragonfly
Last edited by Jimmy on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
AvzinElkein

Re: TEAM ROCKET: Blasting Off at the Speed of Mapping - RELE

Post by AvzinElkein »

Um, nothing happened after I flipped the switch in MAP01, and I'm not sure how to proceed without cheats.
Whoah

Post by Whoah »

AvzinElkein wrote:Um, nothing happened after I flipped the switch in MAP01, and I'm not sure how to proceed without cheats.
There's a button across the way behind you after you flip that switch, past the key. Shoot that, my dude
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Good job on the release by the way! I popped into the stream a few times during the day when I had a spare moment and it was fun to watch (if maddening to have four windows all building levels at once).

I only got as far as the crusher bed so far; but that was mildly entertaining. XD
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

so... playing beautiful doom (monsters only) & factotum, finishing map 01 (at the death exit (with barrels)), the map won't end. is this a bug?
edit: even beautiful doom (monsters only), no weapon mods, still can't end the 1st map.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

We enforce death exits through the use of DEHACKED. You telefrag a nazi in a closet who then ends the level with the A_BrainDie codepointer.

I suppose this is the ZDoom forum, after all - we have to account for people who are going to be running this with mods.
Jimmy

Post by Jimmy »

A v2 hotfix is out, so the death exits should no longer be interfered with by weapon mods, and the truncated mapnames showing up in GZDoom should also be addressed.
RedoLane

Post by RedoLane »

Can't wait for the sequel "TEAM ROCKET: Blasting Off Again"
joe-ilya

Post by joe-ilya »

Had a lot of fun playing through all the maps, this should get the anti-mordeth/speedmap cacoward.

Return to “Levels”