Doom Tournament [1.2]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom Tournament [Pre-Release]

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Well that's annoying...

Edit: And it's fixed now.
RastaManGames

Post by RastaManGames »

In the future you have plans to make addon with enemies from "Unreal" game? :oops:
I mean "Brute" really looks like a "Mancubus" or "WarLord" looks like a "CyberDemon".
Marisa the Magician

Yeah, it's planned, though it'll fit more with the Unreal 1 weapon pack I'll make after this.

Edit: Small update:
  • Large versions of biorifle ammo and shock core weren't spawning, fixed this.
  • Corrected meshes with unordered texture numbers (they were causing issues with a future update to GZDoom's UE1 model reader).
Yes, I'm going to send in another PR with UE1 model support updates to GZDoom, it's nothing really required for now, so there's no need to go fetch a devbuild once they're added.

Edit numero dos: Small update again:
  • Biorifle no longer deselects while altfiring if there's no ammo.
Edit numero trois: ANOTHER small update yet again:
  • Don't draw the HUD during the first couple tics of map load to prevent an eye-melting screen wipe glitch.
RastaManGames

Post by RastaManGames »

Your mod give me a strange idea...
There is an old Unreal Engine 1 game named "Tactical Ops: Assault On Terror", which are Counter-Strike like FPS with bomb planting/defusing and hostage defending/rescuing missions and there is also feature to buy many weapons. So... If GZDoom now can read UE1 models, it is possible to read models from this UE1 game? Or... What about Deus Ex 1? D:
P.S.: Sorry if this was offtopic...
Marisa the Magician

Tactical Ops would work, Deus Ex, at the moment, won't. Its models have a slightly different format.
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

This is really good work! The weapons feel very faithful and the models look great. Is there any possibility of getting this to run with Zandronum? I'd love to play some DM.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Getting this to work with Zandronum would take a LOT of work - the features this mod uses that are currently unavailable in Zandronum are quite extensive - in fact, so much so, that you can't even list them. In general, they are in two categories: ZScript, and UE1 model support.

Someone could probably do it, but be prepared for at least a solid day's worth of effort, if not more, including the work required to find model converters, as well as rewriting all of the scripts in older formats that were available to Zandronum before ZScript officially merged in ZDoom.
RychschaX

Post by RychschaX »

Yeah, so I actually made an account here just so I could tell you how awesome this mod is. And it really, really is. Couple of things, though (and I admit that one of them is a bit nitpicky):

> The secondary fire for the minigun doesn't actually increase fire rate (as it is supposed to). also with the minigun, secondary doesn't speed up as fast as it should.

>rocket launcher is a bit slow when loading multiple rockets.

>primary fire for the flak cannon is a little slower than it should be

overall, though, AMAZING mod
HAL9000

Post by HAL9000 »

This is awesome and very well made mod,love it! I especially like the keycards red/blue/gold shader, it looks perfect.
Also, I really really like the support for the UE1 model file format.
Offtopic: Is there any documentation about usage of ue1 models/modeldef for gzdoom?
What unreal engine1game models gzdoom supports now? Will it work with other UE1 engine models
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by HAL9000 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marisa the Magician

So just a heads up, the searchlight (liteamp goggles replacement) seems to cause MASSIVE SLOWDOWNS in some maps. I have no idea why, but I'll report it once I can consistently reproduce it in a cleaner environment.

Edit: I'm supposed to be on summer break, but whatever, it was just a quick fix. Searchlight radius was reduced to 300, which has pretty much almost entirely removed that massive performance hit it had (original radius was 450).

Changes:
  • Greatly reduced the performance hit of the searchlight.
RychschaX

Post by RychschaX »

Like HAL9000, I would be very interested in knowing how you brought UE1 models into Doom. I have one or two UT weapon mods I might wanna try porting, plus it would give me a chance to give myself a crash course in ZScript. On that note, might you consider adding some comments into your code? I can get a general idea of what portions of it do from the names of the different sections, but that's about it.

Once again, though, AMAZING mod. I just finished a playthrough of Doom with it (the Spider Mastermind is a bit less threatening when one has a Redeemer :) ). Overall, UT items and weapons work surprisingly well with Doom.
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

True UT feeling! Sounds, effect, visuals - top quality!
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:So just a heads up, the searchlight (liteamp goggles replacement) seems to cause MASSIVE SLOWDOWNS in some maps. I have no idea why, but I'll report it once I can consistently reproduce it in a cleaner environment.

Edit: I'm supposed to be on summer break, but whatever, it was just a quick fix. Searchlight radius was reduced to 300, which has pretty much almost entirely removed that massive performance hit it had (original radius was 450).

Changes:
  • Greatly reduced the performance hit of the searchlight.
This has to do with the light linking of spotlights. They link to everything surrounding their origin, regardless of whether or not they fall within the spot cone or not.

I think it's worth pointing out that UE1 never had spotlights. You will literally get away with a tic-by-tic hitscan that spawns a pointlight at the puff point - that'd be more faithful to the original, anyhow.

There's a bug report from Major Cooke from way back when this was first implemented - he encountered this problem, too, but I don't have a link handy. If you know how old spotlights are, though, it should be easy to find.

(edit: I found it, it took a bit of effort)
Diode

Post by Diode »

This is slightly off-topic, but what's the workflow for exporting/importing .3d?

I've got the exporter for blender you created, but getting it doom doesn't appear to be as simple as replacing my MD2 file with .3d
Marisa the Magician

You need both the _d.3d and _a.3d files in the same folder. Oh, and make sure your model never goes beyond -1.0 or +1.0 in any axis when exporting, otherwise the vertex positions will get all mangled when converting to 16-bit. I haven't really added any sort of pre-scaling to the exporter yet, so this is needed for now.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”