Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

For Total Conversions and projects that don't otherwise fall under the other categories.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Ichor

Re: Carnage Galore 3, now for GZDoom - beta (update)

Post by Ichor »

Alright, after playing through through the maps with the mage's new sapphire wand, this is what I noticed:

1. I played on the highest skill, so there were a lot of deaths and reloading. Many, many times.
2. I usually used the alt-fire to quickly kill the weaker flying enemies like reivers or those pesky gargoyles. If they had a little bit of health left, I'd use the primary to finish them off. The primary is also good for sniping at far away targets.
3. The biggest concern with doing this sort of thing is the mana balance, but I didn't notice much of a difference, especially later on when I started getting slot 3 weapons.

So, I think I'll keep like it is now.
MaxRideWizardLord

Post by MaxRideWizardLord »

A bit of feedback.

The new hud looks tiny and doesn't want to scale up with hud_scale 1, and some of the weapons feels messed up in their placement. Could be due to the recent changes. I specifically use 5:4 monitor to play old classics as it feels most suitable and comfortable for. Can you please add support for 5:4 resolution for too?

Also, can you please tell me, what exactly do I need in addition to launch the original JHexen version of Carnage Galore 3 that you gave me?? It's been a while since last time I've bothered with JDoom and doomsday engines. While your file seems to contain their engines, it seems to lack some other files.

I kinda miss the original powered by tome fire for sapphire wand, it was trully badass and had an interesting pattern while didn't suck mana. Current sapphire wand powered by tome fires are just not worth using it.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:A bit of feedback.

The new hud looks tiny and doesn't want to scale up with hud_scale 1, and some of the weapons feels messed up in their placement. Could be due to the recent changes. I specifically use 5:4 monitor to play old classics as it feels most suitable and comfortable for. Can you please add support for 5:4 resolution for too?

Also, can you please tell me, what exactly do I need in addition to launch the original JHexen version of Carnage Galore 3 that you gave me?? It's been a while since last time I've bothered with JDoom and doomsday engines. While your file seems to contain their engines, it seems to lack some other files.

I kinda miss the original powered by tome fire for sapphire wand, it was trully badass and had an interesting pattern while didn't suck mana. Current sapphire wand powered by tome fires are just not worth using it.
I just checked the 5:4 scale, and using 'scale to fullscreen' gives you a normal sized hud, albeit slightly stretched. Setting it to 3 should give you a normal looking hud.

If I remember right, you should have everything there. Back in those days, I used DeuSF, so use the merge.bat to put all of the files in the iwad. Then use restore.bat to set the iwad back to normal.

As for the sapphire wand, that powered effect was moved to the dragon claw once I added it, since that's where it came from originally.
MaxRideWizardLord

Ichor wrote:I just checked the 5:4 scale, and using 'scale to fullscreen' gives you a normal sized hud, albeit slightly stretched. Setting it to 3 should give you a normal looking hud.
This is what I get:
https://ibb.co/bGZxjo

and I can't seem to expand it back to normal default hud without bars and not stretched. In fact, this tine hud is all I can get, idk how to fix it... I know there is alternative hud, but I really vanila guy when it comes to classy old games.
Ichor wrote:If I remember right, you should have everything there. Back in those days, I used DeuSF, so use the merge.bat to put all of the files in the iwad. Then use restore.bat to set the iwad back to normal.
When I click DEUSF.EXE, it says that it's not compatible with 64 bit windows. :c I have Windows XP installed on another PC, but it might take me months till I get to it. Should I give it a try? I'm not certain if it will work on Windows XP either.
Ichor wrote:As for the sapphire wand, that powered effect was moved to the dragon claw once I added it, since that's where it came from originally.
The original attack did fit the most tbh, now I rather use non-powered sapphire than powered, since it's damage barely significant and I just fire slower boring projectile. Although it's your mod so you can do whatever you want. I remembe back in time I stole this attack from drago claw and added it to sapphire wand alt-fire for Hexen tiny mage mod myself. :P Some other attacks are from old AEoD too, since I liked that mod a lot back in time, considered as best of all time.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

MaxRideWizardLord wrote:When I click DEUSF.EXE, it says that it's not compatible with 64 bit windows. :c I have Windows XP installed on another PC, but it might take me months till I get to it. Should I give it a try? I'm not certain if it will work on Windows XP either.
The funny thing is, I have that very same problem. There's no way for me to run that program anymore, or a lot of older ones (no Blood on dosbox anymore grumble grumble).

As for the hud, I tried using 1280x1024 resolution (which is 5:4) and then set the hud scale to 4.

MaxRideWizardLord

Ichor wrote:
MaxRideWizardLord wrote:As for the hud, I tried using 1280x1024 resolution (which is 5:4) and then set the hud scale to 4.
Ah, I just had to set "scale to fullscreen" and it did work out.
The new gzdoom options can be quite confusing. Back in time I just had to select specific hud resolution and it would create it for me, back in like 2008 or so.

One more question. Why you felt like removing wand's piercing ability was fitting idea? The fact it could pierce through enemies was it's niche feature and compensation for it's weak damage. On demilich difficulty (what the hell does that word mean? Google didn't gave me answer aside from dungeons and dragon character and music band, looks like something that would fit undead instead. Considering Cleric difficulty as "deity", the name of Demiurge would fit really well for Mage instead.) the sapphire wand does rather weak damage even compared to original wand, with super crazed speed enemies and even super crazed speed projectiles they fire, it could be difficult even with infinite ammo. Not that I'm complaining, I'm just asking if there was some solid reason for that decision that I seem to miss out?
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

I believe it was to compensate for the increased power because of the shift to slot 2. In original Hexen, the wand would take roughly 7-8 hits to kill an ettin, which has 175 health. Here, the fire gargoyles and sabreclaws are comparable in health, but 2-3 hits are all it takes to get rid of them. A quick 3-shot burst from the alt-fire is usually enough to kill them on skill 6. If not, a finishing shot will most certainly do it. On other skill levels, you won't need the extra shot.

Now, as for "demilich". A lich is basically a magic user that wants to cheat death in his desire for power and knowledge. A demilich is a lich that has existed for so long and gained so much power that his undead body begins to decay, usually leaving only the skull, and is free to leave this plane of existence at will. Essentially, this is the ultimate step in a mage's quest for power.

For instance, Kangaxx and Acererak (minion of Vecna, who probably also became a demilich, but isn't stated outright).
MaxRideWizardLord

Ichor wrote:I believe it was to compensate for the increased power because of the shift to slot 2. In original Hexen, the wand would take roughly 7-8 hits to kill an ettin, which has 175 health. Here, the fire gargoyles and sabreclaws are comparable in health, but 2-3 hits are all it takes to get rid of them. A quick 3-shot burst from the alt-fire is usually enough to kill them on skill 6. If not, a finishing shot will most certainly do it. On other skill levels, you won't need the extra shot.
This could be my nitpicking, but killing non-flaming default gargoyles takes about 3-4 shot, just like it did in vanila HeXen. The piercing really helps against hordes of enemies, thus it's compensated for it's low damage. Killing these claw monsters takes some time, and then there comes more of them, them more, and so on since you can't hit them all at once, and that's just beginning levels. Felt like you overnerfed the damage, which is not a big price for infinite ammo really, although I would like to see piercing back if possible. Not pushing.
Ichor wrote:Now, as for "demilich". A lich is basically a magic user that wants to cheat death in his desire for power and knowledge. A demilich is a lich that has existed for so long and gained so much power that his undead body begins to decay, usually leaving only the skull, and is free to leave this plane of existence at will. Essentially, this is the ultimate step in a mage's quest for power.

For instance, Kangaxx and Acererak (minion of Vecna, who probably also became a demilich, but isn't stated outright).
Umm, definitelly sounds like something that would fit for undead more, or necromancer at best. I still believe that Demiurge is the ultimate goal of any Mage, since, at this point, there is no limit on power you can have and basically no way possible to get any more powerful either; so you could use your knowledge, creativity and power to full potential. :P
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

I have seen it take about that many hits to kill a gargoyle, but afrits in Hexen have a mere 80 health, while the gargoyles have on average 200 health. The stalkers are practically unchanged and they have 90 health. And as for the sabreclaws, they are only that fast on that skill level. They aren't too much of a threat on lower skill levels, but even on 6, they're still more or less cannon fodder once you get the frost shards/axe/serpent staff, which you'll see quite early on.
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Been playing through this as the Cleric, am a ways through the ice-themed episode. Pretty awesome wad! Of all the new items, my favorite is the torch, it's such a vast improvement on the original. If I had to nitpick, I'd say there's not enough discs of repulsion. They're my favorite artifact, and I've found just ONE in the entire playthrough.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

fluffyshambler wrote:Been playing through this as the Cleric, am a ways through the ice-themed episode. Pretty awesome wad! Of all the new items, my favorite is the torch, it's such a vast improvement on the original. If I had to nitpick, I'd say there's not enough discs of repulsion. They're my favorite artifact, and I've found just ONE in the entire playthrough.
There shouldn't be any at all. They were replaced with the malison scroll (which works in much the same way, but instead of pushing enemies away, it greatly weakens them). Where did you find it?
whirledtsar

Post by whirledtsar »

Ichor wrote:
fluffyshambler wrote:Been playing through this as the Cleric, am a ways through the ice-themed episode. Pretty awesome wad! Of all the new items, my favorite is the torch, it's such a vast improvement on the original. If I had to nitpick, I'd say there's not enough discs of repulsion. They're my favorite artifact, and I've found just ONE in the entire playthrough.
There shouldn't be any at all. They were replaced with the malison scroll (which works in much the same way, but instead of pushing enemies away, it greatly weakens them). Where did you find it?
Sometime in the early game. That'd odd, I could've sworn I picked one up. Perhaps it was just a Korax-induced hallucination.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

fluffyshambler wrote:Sometime in the early game. That'd odd, I could've sworn I picked one up. Perhaps it was just a Korax-induced hallucination.
Maybe it was a coin (clock gear). The bronze and gold ones do somewhat resemble the discs from far away or maybe if you were distracted.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Bumping this because this crashes without fail in 3.6.0. From the start, go left and GZDoom crashes when you get to the room at the end of the tunnel.
Ichor

Post by Ichor »

chopkinsca wrote:Bumping this because this crashes without fail in 3.6.0. From the start, go left and GZDoom crashes when you get to the room at the end of the tunnel.
I don't know about 3.6, but I just tried it in 3.7pre and it seemed to work fine.

Return to “TCs, Full Games, and Other Projects”