Antivirus weirdness

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
Cacodemon345
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Antivirus weirdness

Post by Cacodemon345 »

Anti-viruses nowadays feel like a joke to me. They were useful back when the malware stuff wasn't that evolved, but ever since the malware stuff started to outrun anti-viruses abilities, they have turned into a joke.

I still use Avast on my desktop and Kaspersky on my laptop through, since I would prefer not to get infected.
scalliano

Post by scalliano »

I had BitDefender once try to delete Quake.

No joke.
gwHero
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by gwHero »

On my previous laptop McAfee was pre-installed; got so tired and sick of it that I removed it and replaced it by Windows Defender; never had any complaints since then.
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

scalliano wrote:I had BitDefender once try to delete Quake.
... If you think about it, viruses destroy other programs by teleporting inside of them. :ninja:
leileilol
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by leileilol »

I haven't used autoscanning antivirus software since 1998 but I know i've had "system file protection" automatically trash binaries of apps and games on XP (which was one big deterrent of using XP to me at the time, keeping me to main 98se until around 2005)
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

NeuralStunner wrote:
scalliano wrote:I had BitDefender once try to delete Quake.
... If you think about it, viruses destroy other programs by teleporting inside of them. :ninja:

I read some interesting articles yesterday which listed some of the stupidities done by AV software and in hindsight just makes me glad to have reverted to Windows Defender. Think what you want about Microsoft but at least I know they have an interest in not making this an invasive feature that can do more harm than good. Thinking that any AV software can potentially intercept all my encrypted web traffic is not something to be taken lightly.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

The last time I bought a manufactured desktop, it came preloaded with Trend Micro PC-cillin. I was happy at first, because it wasn't Norton, but I quickly found that rebooting the machine had a devastating effect on the home network. Some error checking later, I found that Trend Micro's auto updater was scheduled to check for updates every time the machine booted up, and spammed the update server with so many connection requests that it crashed our router - something that, ironically, even BitTorrent wasn't capable of.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

What I am learning in this thread (and kind of already knew, but didn't suspect it as much as I do now):

Some virus scanners are indeed more invasive and nefarious than the viruses they protect against.
Nomakh

Post by Nomakh »

Hi everyone! Let me tell you a "cool story" about... Dr Web. Once upon a time there were few processes "tips. exe", some kind of "helper-overlay". They were appearing after long time AFK when I was going back to my computer. When I tried to shut one of them down, they just... froze all system, piece by piece. task manager was frozen, and then all system... But there was no memory or CPU overload... Sorry for possible grammar mistakes, but I don't speak and write English as well.

Return to “Off-Topic”