[INACTIVE] Doomzone v1.8.1

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
silentzora

Re: Doomzone (v1.8.1 Out, DotB Patch Added)

Post by silentzora »

Evil Operative wrote:Found another bug.

Classes spawn with no weapon selected upon beginning a game with the Doom Eater difficulty
Just checked the current version, and this only seems to affect the Samurai class. His weapons are actually still in inventory, and switching them actually brings them up. I did manage to fix this by adding a SetWeapon() statement for that class.

Aside from that, I wasn't able to reproduce any other classes not starting with any weapons in Doom Eater with the latest official release of GZDoom, v3.3.2. I have updated the download to fix the issue with Samurai in Doom Eater, however. Download link is in OP.
7HEPOW
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 7HEPOW »

I noticed that behaviour on stream, whenever there was a pistol start in the Doom Tribute Project on Hardcore running GZD 3.3.2 with DZ 1.8.1. Also had DamNums on stream for the funs of it.

Pre-patch test:
All classes in doomtrib.wad on any difficulty starting on the "Final Fray" episode and you start empty handed. I can hear the sound for the melee weapon after level load though. A quick check on any other episode with the support class leads to the same result except for the first episode. doom.wad leaves you empty handed on any difficulty with any class on any episode. doom2.wad leaves you empty handed on doom eater only with any class.

Patch test:
Same as above except for the samurai starting with the katana in hand on any wad.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

7HEPOW wrote:I noticed that behaviour on stream, whenever there was a pistol start in the Doom Tribute Project on Hardcore running GZD 3.3.2 with DZ 1.8.1. Also had DamNums on stream for the funs of it.

Pre-patch test:
All classes in doomtrib.wad on any difficulty starting on the "Final Fray" episode and you start empty handed. I can hear the sound for the melee weapon after level load though. A quick check on any other episode with the support class leads to the same result except for the first episode. doom.wad leaves you empty handed on any difficulty with any class on any episode. doom2.wad leaves you empty handed on doom eater only with any class.

Patch test:
Same as above except for the samurai starting with the katana in hand on any wad.
Running tests to try and troubleshoot the issue with GZDoom 3.3.2 and Doomzone v1.8.1. Before I go into the results of what I've found, I must state that doomtrib-dzpatch.wad is required if you want to run Doomzone with The Doom Tribute Project. If you're playing The Doom Tribute Project with Doomzone and are not using the patch file, it will not work by default.

Alright, so here's what I've found.
1.) Starting any episode aside from episode 1 and 6 leaves the player with a pistol and melee weapon. Only one anomaly was observed (see #2).
2.) Samurai receives the katana and shuriken, but the katana is deselected. Pressing either the 1 or 2 key causes the weapon to raise correctly.
3.) Starting a new game with the Ultimate Doom IWAD works as intended, with all weapons being given and selected properly.
4.) Starting a new game with the Doom II IWAD works as intended after the hotfix today, with no anomalies observed.

I don't know what could be the cause of any of the other issues, as I have not been able to reproduce them under any circumstance. If I can't reproduce the problems, I can't fix them. If we're both running the same version of GZDoom, and the same version of The Doom Tribute Project, then I can't figure out why there's an issue on your end and there isn't on mine. All I'm able to do is correct the Samurai's issue for The Doom Tribute Project, at this point.

You mentioned you streamed this, correct? If you have the stream archived, can you post a link on this thread along with a timestamp where the issue arises? I'll also need a list of anything else you're running Doomzone with during the stream.

I've updated the download again with the fixed patch file for The Doom Tribute Project.

EDIT: Found your stream, and I think I understand the issue. You're playing with the option that swaps weapons when picked up turned off, correct? That would explain why the weapons aren't raising. I guess when you said you were starting empty-handed, I thought you meant you started with no inventory at all. This is a simple fix, I just need to add SetWeapon() statements for every class. I can have that done later today. Sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT#2: I'm uploading the new fix now. Download from OP. This should solve the issue.
7HEPOW

Post by 7HEPOW »

Yes, the doomtrib patch was also enabled following the load order described in the readme. I have auto pick disabled. The weapons were in the inventory just not in hand.

I have auto pickup disabled. Turning it on fixed the issue on a quick check with the first and latest patch. Turning auto pickup off again, causes the same behaviour as before. I guess it's needed and that's also why there's always a little push of the player when the level starts. I guess you spawn the weapons in front of the player and give him a little push to pick 'em up, correct?
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

7HEPOW wrote:Yes, the doomtrib patch was also enabled following the load order described in the readme. I have auto pick disabled. The weapons were in the inventory just not in hand.

I have auto pickup disabled. Turning it on fixed the issue on a quick check with the first and latest patch. Turning auto pickup off again, causes the same behaviour as before. I guess it's needed and that's also why there's always a little push of the player when the level starts. I guess you spawn the weapons in front of the player and give him a little push to pick 'em up, correct?
I didn't create The Doom Tribute Project, but that's precisely how it works, yes. There's an invisible item that strips the player's inventory and gives the basic weapons. I only extended its functionality for Doomzone's classes. Might have been easier for the author to just use the ChangeLevel special with the CHANGELEVEL_RESETINVENTORY flag, but I gotta work with what I've got.
7HEPOW

Post by 7HEPOW »

Ah, okay... The push is doomtrib specific. Just checked with some other mods and there it's fine. Good to know. :) Thanks! ;)
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Played with the Pointman class and noticed 2 bugs:

-Selecting the LAR's Masterkey attachment so it shows MASS and switching to another weapon and then back to it will display AUTO (or if you got the silenced variant through Cheats or DM it will say BURST) again. So the only way to tell which firemode is selected by judging from the crosshair (if default crosshairs are disabled).

-The dual AT-14 reload mechanic is flaky. Whenever the right one is fired, it deducts from the single's loaded ammo, which is fine, however, reloading only takes the single into account. Say, you have 36 shots with the dualies, fire 18 and reload, it will only deduct 9 shots from your reserve ammo, so the left pistol is omitted from the calculation. I also sometimes need to reload two times in a row because they're not always filled up to 36, even if you have the required ammo. And last but not least, if you fire the single dry (from 18 to 0) and switch to the double pistols, they will correctly have 18/36, but you can still fire both of them in sequence, and not the left one independently, so I guess the root of the problem lies somewhere here.
CD-Roman

Post by CD-Roman »

How to host a coop game, join with one of the classes?
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

DabbingSquidward wrote:-Selecting the LAR's Masterkey attachment so it shows MASS and switching to another weapon and then back to it will display AUTO (or if you got the silenced variant through Cheats or DM it will say BURST) again. So the only way to tell which firemode is selected by judging from the crosshair (if default crosshairs are disabled).

-The dual AT-14 reload mechanic is flaky. Whenever the right one is fired, it deducts from the single's loaded ammo, which is fine, however, reloading only takes the single into account. Say, you have 36 shots with the dualies, fire 18 and reload, it will only deduct 9 shots from your reserve ammo, so the left pistol is omitted from the calculation. I also sometimes need to reload two times in a row because they're not always filled up to 36, even if you have the required ammo. And last but not least, if you fire the single dry (from 18 to 0) and switch to the double pistols, they will correctly have 18/36, but you can still fire both of them in sequence, and not the left one independently, so I guess the root of the problem lies somewhere here.
Yeah, the AT-14s are a bit of a pain, code-wise. It's normal when you reload the single that it only reloads a certain amount for the duals, since you're just reloading the single pistol anyway. I wouldn't doubt that firing the duals is causing some sort of issue with ammo synchronization between the two weapons. I'll take a look at it, but I can't make any promises as to whether I can fix it or not.

As for the LAR, I've gone ahead and fixed this and will have the fix up later today. I just failed to check the player's class in the script that controls the HUD text, that's all.

EDIT: Just updated the build at the Download link in OP. Give it a shot, hopefully it fixes the issues with the AT-14s. Let me know if they're still broken.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

Sorry, they're still broken. Also, casings play footstep sounds in addition to their own sounds when hitting the ground.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

DabbingSquidward wrote:Sorry, they're still broken. Also, casings play footstep sounds in addition to their own sounds when hitting the ground.
Can you provide steps to reproduce the issue? Just saying "they're still broken" doesn't help me find the problem.

Also probably not fixing the casings. I was working on implementing the footstep ACS module for Zagemod, but ran into a quirk that I really didn't much like - The module plays the sound of a flat directly below you if the center of your hitbox is over the edge of another sector. Which means, for example, in The Chasm, you'll hear slime footsteps on those thin catwalks despite being hundreds of feet above said surface. Would rather just keep the current system.
StroggVorbis

Post by StroggVorbis »

I apologize, my bad :D
Well, from what I can gather, the single AT-14's clip is SZ_RakowUse and the dual's clip is SZ_DualRakowUse. When having selected the Dualies, whenever the right Rakow is fired, it deducts one shot from SZ_RakowUse. So far, so good I guess. However, when reloading them, only the ammo from SZ_RakowUse is checked for, so if you fire all 36 shots, the most ammo you will lose by reloading is 18. One special edge case: If SZ_RakowUse is 0, could you change the dualies so that only the left is fired instead of alternating between them? Seems odd because it should be empty then :P

Also, do you ever plan to switch to a full .pk3 compatible structure with folders instead of WADs stuffed inside? I believe this should reduce load times and take up less RAM, WadExt or UnWad should help you with that :)

Edit: The console complains about duplicate F/S_START/END Markers.
silentzora

Post by silentzora »

DabbingSquidward wrote:I apologize, my bad :D
Well, from what I can gather, the single AT-14's clip is SZ_RakowUse and the dual's clip is SZ_DualRakowUse. When having selected the Dualies, whenever the right Rakow is fired, it deducts one shot from SZ_RakowUse. So far, so good I guess. However, when reloading them, only the ammo from SZ_RakowUse is checked for, so if you fire all 36 shots, the most ammo you will lose by reloading is 18. One special edge case: If SZ_RakowUse is 0, could you change the dualies so that only the left is fired instead of alternating between them? Seems odd because it should be empty then :P

Also, do you ever plan to switch to a full .pk3 compatible structure with folders instead of WADs stuffed inside? I believe this should reduce load times and take up less RAM, WadExt or UnWad should help you with that :)

Edit: The console complains about duplicate F/S_START/END Markers.
Yeah, I do believe you're right. I just checked my RELOAD module, and the Dual Rakow is still checking for the single one's magazine capacity. Gonna switch that up, see if it works. I haven't noticed anything unusual in my tests, but evidently you've been able to catch it, so hopefully it'll work correctly. As far as having only the left Rakow fire when the magazine is zero, I've changed this in a previous build so that this is the case. So yeah, that's already in. :P

At the moment, I don't have any plans to switch to a full PK3 structure. There are two reasons for this, the first being that I try to use a module approach towards development nowadays. So if something doesn't work or is undesired, in some circumstances, I can just rip the module right out. On the flip side, it makes recycling code a bit easier on my end. Yeah, I know that directory structures are a thing now, but I guess my brain is just wired differently. Sorry if it causes an issue on the tech side.

I wouldn't worry too much about the duplicate START and END markers. If it becomes an issue later down the line where the mod doesn't boot because of it, I'll fix it. But it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, otherwise.

Will see if I can get that fix for the Dual Rakows up today.

EDIT: I've uploaded the new build. Download link is in OP. Let me know if the Rakows are still misbehaving.
Twitchy2019

Post by Twitchy2019 »

Hey, do you think its possible to create a Duke Nukem class to your mod, considering you already have a Quake class and a Samurai class (Lo Wang reference?)?
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

And the certain class' name should be... Superstar. Because Duke has an ego of such kind.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”