grabpng - now with 15% more grab

Any utility that assists in the creation of mods, assets, etc, go here. For example: Ultimate Doom Builder, Slade, WadSmoosh, Oblige, etc.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
bagheadspidey

Re: grabpng - stuff fixed - windows build scripts coming soon

Post by bagheadspidey »

Link in title post updated. Large images should load fine in this one. Icon is gone for now, but I'll replace it later.

grabpng.exe r18
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Not sure if this is how it is meant to be or not...

If I double click grabpng.exe it opens and correctly remembers the window position, background colour and last file opened. However, if I delete the last file opened between sessions, then double click grabpng.exe again, I get a brief flash of the console window and thats it. ie grabpng doesn't stay open. IMO, if the last file has gone, grabpng should open with a blank window.

BTW, where is grabpng storing information like the window position etc?
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

oops, that's a mistake. Glad you noticed that; it's fixed now.

Settings are stored in %APPDATA%/.grabpng-config -- type echo %APPDATA% to find out where that is for you =)
Nash

Post by Nash »

Hey baghead... I hope you haven't abandoned this. Actually, I was about to do some heavy weapon offsetting for my mod (about a few hundred sprite frames for some weapon HUD sprites), until I ran into this problem which made this tool kind of unusable.

As I drag around the sprite, the "guide lines" changes from the HUD version to the "world origin" version... I don't know the exact terms for this, but the former is made of blue lines and has a HUD guide in green, while the latter is made of a red crosshair.

Would it be possible to add an option to lock the guide to either one? I can't really position my weapon accurately if the guide keeps changing to the "world" one...
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Nash,

I like to refer two the two screens as the "screen grid" (blue) and the "sprite grid" (red). Anyway, the deal with offsets is supposed to be this: if a sprite has both negative or zero offsets, the position is a "screen position" (for hud weapons), otherwise the position is a "sprite position" (for insertion of a sprite into the world view).

Do you want to position your weapon sprite somewhere where it would have at least one positive offset value? I can look into adding an option to lock the current grid (blue or red) if you need to do this, but I can't guarantee using positive offsets for weapon sprites will work ingame (although I don't really see any reason it shouldn't).
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

done, let me know how it goes.
SyntherAugustus

Re: grabpng - now with 15% more grab

Post by SyntherAugustus »

This looks awesome and I'm sure it'll help me immensely with my project. =D
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

Thanks, blackfish =) those gun rips you've got going on are looking pretty nice too, I hope this helps...

Hey, I have a question for anyone who is doing scaled (hires) weapons: How do you know where to set the offset for these? Or does the offset scale with the sprite? I'm trying to decide if it's useful to be able to scale the sprite up and down without zooming the guides.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Currently, I just use the HIRESTEX remap feature for scaled HUD sprites... I provide the offset for the low res one, and the high res one automatically follows the offset of the low res one.

I can't get sprite scaling in TEXTURES to work... :(

BTW, in case you haven't read my e-mail - thanks again. The update does exactly what I wanted it to do.

Are you working on a zoom feature? Good luck! I kinda miss this feature because SLumpEd has it. Though I imagine if I were zooming in to set offsets for a HUD sprite, the guides have to be zoomed in a well...
bagheadspidey

Post by bagheadspidey »

zoom has been in for a while, use the mouse wheel. Never bothered to document it ;p

Now that you know it has zoom, tell me if you think it needs panning... I think it might.
Nash

Post by Nash »

Panning is required with zooming in most cases, it goes without saying...
Hirogen2
Graphics Processor: Intel with Vulkan/Metal Support

Post by Hirogen2 »

I would appreciate it if the executables are not part of the repository, because, eh well, that bloats the source archive unnecessarily IMHO, and what I have to pull when downloading new commits.
FWIW, here are two patches, one to provide well-known Autotools interface as an alternate way to building, and another to make FLTK optional.
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Windows download link is 404.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:Windows download link is 404.
This thread is from 2009 by a user who has not posted in years. That is an eternity in internet time. You might ask here for a reupload, instead.
Kappes Buur

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by Kappes Buur »

Silentdarkness12 wrote:Windows download link is 404.
It is part of BHS's Doomcrap collection

Return to “Creation, Conversion, and Editing”