Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the internet

If it's not ZDoom, it goes here.
hardcore_gamer

Re: Just when you thought it was safe to go back on the inte

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Apeirogon wrote:hardcore_gamer chill out. I have one rude joke about situation like this one. Probably translator a little/a lot break it, but I try my best.

At one factory board of directors established a new rule "No one should swear". And production on this factory stopped.
So board of directors created a commission and sent it to the factory, to understand what is happening. They come to the random worker and ask "Why you dont work?"
And he says "Before this rule I can say "Hey dick, this piece of shit fucking out of this shit", and continue do my own business. And now while I remember name of that dick, while remember name of that piece of shit and what they must do with it workday already over."
The EU is a power hungry bureaucracy controlled by old people. They don't care if their fancy new rules break things.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Apeirogon wrote:I have one rude joke about situation like this one. Probably translator a little/a lot break it, but I try my best.

At one factory board of directors established a new rule "No one should swear". And production on this factory stopped.
So board of directors created a commission and sent it to the factory, to understand what is happening. They come to the random worker and ask "Why you dont work?"
And he says "Before this rule I can say "Hey dick, this piece of shit fucking out of this shit", and continue do my own business. And now while I remember name of that dick, while remember name of that piece of shit and what they must do with it workday already over."
I need to remember this one. Very relevant to my work! :laff:
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Apeirogon wrote:hardcore_gamer chill out.
I agree. Cool it.

Pessimism is almost as bad as apathy, truth be told. If you really want to make a difference, then go out in the streets and protest that shit. Protest it from sun up until sun down. Go to your municipal's work building and tell the politicians why Article 13 is so terrible. Pretty much every EU country at least guarantees you that right, as long as you do so peacefully.

But don't come here telling us it's all over and it's the end and we've already lost the fight. That shit's not cool and it's certainly no way to get what you want.

Just so you know what to expect if you don't listen to me: This is not a request.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Does anybody here know if these laws would also apply in the EEA or only for those who are official EU members?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area

My nation is in the EEA but isn't in the actual EU.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

If they're not EU, then no, EU laws don't apply, which means the legislation does not apply to you. However, that does not shield you from its effects that the rest of the world will experience.
Scripten

Post by Scripten »

Rachael wrote:If they're not EU, then no, EU laws don't apply, which means the legislation does not apply to you. However, that does not shield you from its effects that the rest of the world will experience.
Businesses that are based outside the EU but which operate within will be subject to the new legislature, as well. This means that most websites will be affected.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Scripten wrote:
Rachael wrote:If they're not EU, then no, EU laws don't apply, which means the legislation does not apply to you. However, that does not shield you from its effects that the rest of the world will experience.
Businesses that are based outside the EU but which operate within will be subject to the new legislature, as well. This means that most websites will be affected.
Yes but websites like Doomworld and Zdoom.org probably won't bow before the EU and so might get blocked in the EU. That is what worries me hugely. If Iceland isn't technically in the EU then the EU might not be able to block those sites for me.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Rest assured, if there's a will, there's a way.

We have Chinese posting on this forum - despite the site being blocked in China. (Or at least, that's what I was told - nothing I can do about the blocking. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) People will either use VPN's or proxies to bypass the block.
hardcore_gamer

Post by hardcore_gamer »

Rachael wrote:Rest assured, if there's a will, there's a way.

We have Chinese posting on this forum - despite the site being blocked in China. (Or at least, that's what I was told - nothing I can do about the blocking. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) People will either use VPN's or proxies to bypass the block.
As has been pointed out already, VPN's would not stop this. But let's pray you are right.
The Ultimate DooMer

Post by The Ultimate DooMer »

In what way? It'd be up to individual websites to decide whether to shell out for the filters or to block all IP addresses from the EU - in the latter case all that's needed is to use a VPN with a server from outside the EU (or setup Tor etc. to not use EU exit nodes). If the EU instead tries to do a Great Firewall and block everything itself (as you appear to suggest)...well, you know how the Chinese handle that one.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

leodoom85 wrote:This is not a "two minutes to midnight" situation tbh...
It is now!
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Wiw wrote:
leodoom85 wrote:This is not a "two minutes to midnight" situation tbh...
It is now!
wildweasel wrote:I'd be willing to let this thread remain, for sake of importance, as long as it doesn't slide into a doom and gloom type of thing like the other one was.
This thread has slipped well into pessimistic "the world is doomed" type of talk for a while now so I think it's better that it stop. Contact your politician of choice, do the things in your power to help. Panicking and whining about it on an internet forum is not going to help.

Return to “Off-Topic”