3.5 and screen resolution

Need help running G/Q/ZDoom/ECWolf/Zandronum/3DGE/EDuke32/Raze? Did your computer break? Ask here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Contrary to popular belief, we are not all-knowing-all-seeing magical beings!

If you want help you're going to have to provide lots of info. Like what is your hardware, what is your operating system, what version of GZDoom/LZDoom/whatever you're using, what mods you're loading, how you're loading it, what you've already tried for fixing the problem, and anything else that is even remotely relevant to the problem.

We can't magically figure out what it is if you're going to be vague, and if we feel like you're just wasting our time with guessing games we will act like that's what you're really doing and won't help you.

3.5 and screen resolution

Post by Guest »

Hello!

I was browsing through the changelog for GZDoom and found this:

-----
17-Jun-2018 (Sunday) at 09:19:14 CDT by Christoph Oelckers
Commit b65b83edb
Parents: 322488d1d

removed the hard screen resolution switch that still was present on Windows and cleaned up the entire video backend code from the remaining support code for this.

Like Linux and macOS this will only support borderless fullscreen in the active desktop resolution now, which is what modern systems need. The list of discrete resolutions has been removed as it makes no sense anymore with a fixed video mode - all the other scaling options remain active, though.
-----

What does it actually mean?
Will GZDoon refuse to run on a different resolution than the current one of the Windows desktop?
What does "fullscreen toggle" mean in this respect?

I'm asking because I use to run my desktop in a lower resolution that GZDoom. Is this still possible in future?

Kind regards
zhadoom
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: 3.5 and screen resolution

Post by Graf Zahl »

Isabella Sandlestone wrote: I'm asking because I use to run my desktop in a lower resolution that GZDoom. Is this still possible in future?

No. What was removed was the display mode switch. It will now always use a borderless fullscreen window at the desktop's resolution.
The reason for this is that changing the display mode has been showing an increasing amount of problems with various hardware and with the planned addition of the Vulkan renderer posed a problem that needed to be removed, because a display mode switch can only be done when completely resetting and restoring the entire engine (which also has been a constant maintenance headache.
Talon1024

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Talon1024 »

Will the -width and -height command line parameters still work?
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not in the way that they can alter the display mode. They'll only set internal scaling.

May I ask why you run your desktop at a lower resolution than games?
PlayerLin
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support
Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.

Post by PlayerLin »

Graf Zahl wrote: May I ask why you run your desktop at a lower resolution than games?
I don't know others but I run my Win7 64bits at 800x600 on desktop because I'm sick of small font in higher resolutions(Yes, Valve, your Steam's shitty built-in web-browser, I'm looking at you!) and Windows' DPI scale doesn't help much for me(mostly because the default fonts for Traditional Chinese version of Windows just looks bad to me/just don't like after they got scaled or I have to find other better fonts to fix that but I cannot found one, yet), and since I'm more prefer 800x600's feel(for 10+ years get used it as my default desktop resolution), don't needed changes scale or something.

...even now I tend to switch my desktop to 900p(1600x900) for playing some mobile games with BlueStacks, since I want the game looks not-blurry, and using 800x600 will let those mobile games looks like shit, for sure. I'm a little get used that, and...most browsers has scale option/setting to make websites shows bigger when I want to check something on Internet so it mostly fine for me. :P

Yeah, I know my prefer is weird, and I cannot using Win7 forever but I don't know(I don't know Win10 would changed this or something), just don't think that much. And I'm fine with latest GZDooM, as I can play at 1080p on it now, as far as GZDooM can return to my original desktop resolution after it shutdowns then whatever. :3:

Return to “Technical Issues”