Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 11]

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 8]

Post by wildweasel »

wangman9 wrote:I had the newest version on the site, it might be nice if the site mentions that anything but the latest dev build is severely outdated
Thing is, "the newest version" is a thing that changes rather frequently. The version you were running in your screenshot is from back in March, and there have been at least a few major version bumps since then.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

wangman9 wrote:I had the newest version on the site, it might be nice if the site mentions that anything but the latest dev build is severely outdated
If you suddenly can't run mods, just update. As wildweasel said, it changes rather frequently, and some modders (especially Marisa and a few others) like to take advantage of cutting edge features. Which means you'll have to update often.

If you literally JUST downloaded the latest update (*and* tried the dev build, too) and you STILL can't run it - then that's a valid error report.

Features are being added almost constantly to GZDoom, so when a brand new one is being used, obviously that means the mod will not work in older versions.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Walkthrough it on gzdoom 3.2 without any issue. Well, only with visible fps twitching, which I think apears because of large map.

Also, marisa, a little suggestion. If you want to spawn key in center of room after boss death, please, point player to that key.
Because I almost ten minutes umph-ed and almost licked all walls and corners, boss and minons remnants, spent all the remaining after battle medikits and bullets, try to break door with crowbar, and only suddenly found out that there are lie key.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Apeirogon wrote:Walkthrough it on gzdoom 3.2 without any issue. Well, only with visible fps twitching, which I think apears because of large map.

Also, marisa, a little suggestion. If you want to spawn key in center of room after boss death, please, point player to that key.
Because I almost ten minutes umph-ed and almost licked all walls and corners, boss and minons remnants, spent all the remaining after battle medikits and bullets, try to break door with crowbar, and only suddenly found out that there are lie key.
@Apeirogon
You better check that issue well, since AFTER you kill the boss, another magenta flame appears in the same spot as the boss spawned, revealing that key (it also has that typical flame sound......any more hints? cmon)
In fact, you should check my video that I posted in page 2. There's my quickest walkthrough possible...
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Well than I just did not notice.
I play on nightmare difficulty, so after death of archvile I still have dozen or two "fireballs" chasing me, so I run away from it and dont look around.
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:Well, I did MAP15 in 20 Heretics.
That's all? Well, quality over quantity I guess. :D
Seriously, I haven't *LOVED* a custom doom map like I have Soundless Mound in ages.

That said, belatedly, I do have some criticism, but fear not! It's the actual constructive kind versus, y'know, the pointless kind that doesn't benefit anyone.

There is one aspect of Silent Hill I don't think we really get in Soundless Mound in its current form, and that's the "Fight or Flight" style gameplay of the series, 3 in particular. In the classic (AKA Good ;P) games, 1-3, you often had the choice of fighting OR running from your foes. In some cases it was typically wiser to flee from a fight rather than waste time, health, and ammo trying to kill things. I feel we don't really get that option in Soundless Mound because enemies are SUPER fast and aggressive. Like Vanilla Doom enemies, once they lay into you, they don't let up. While some fast, aggressive enemies are certainly needed to keep the tension as the game progresses, I think making the option to avoid versus fighting enemies would help reinforce the feel of classic Silent Hill. Have a mixture of enemy types, some of which you definitely can't outrun easily, but others you can.

On the positive side of things though, I think melee feels great in its current form. The crowbar in particular is quite satisfying once you understand its quirks and get used to the way you have to compensate the forced turning it does on a swing. The charged attacks in general are great because they encourage strategy and waiting for the right moment to strike, versus mashing Mouse1.

It really feels like classic Silent Hill in a first person perspective, and I think that's awesome. As someone who hasn't really enjoyed Silent Hill since The Room and everything after (1-3 forever!) this was a wonderful trip down memory lane and I absolutely cannot wait to see more of it.
VicBorAng

Post by VicBorAng »

Hey, so. I'm trying to play this game, because it looks amazing. But whenever i load a save the light system stops working :cry: . It all goes dark, and the lantern only makes the hand sprites lighter (also some blood splatters). :cry:
I'm using the GZdoom 3.4 version BTW.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

You need to upgrade to GZDoom 3.4.1 to fix that issue. And as always - *always* double check to make sure you're running the latest version, whenever you have problems!
VicBorAng

Post by VicBorAng »

Rachael wrote:You need to upgrade to GZDoom 3.4.1 to fix that issue. And as always - *always* double check to make sure you're running the latest version, whenever you have problems!
Huh. I just got the 3.4.0 version recently.
Did it really update that fast? my god.

It worked.
Thanks for the help.
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Soundless Mound: Demo Version [Update 9]

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I've decided to update this once again. It might be the last update I do to the demo, I really should focus on other things.

Because the new bleeding texture shader depends on a recent fix, it requires at least the most recent devbuild available as of writing this (g3.5pre-281-g79f0deaff). I've also cleaned some script warnings.

One notable change, by the way, is that now the final boss drops the key directly, rather than have it spawn in the middle of the room (many have complained that it's hard to notice it). This should be more intuitive.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Fairly excited for the update. Thanks! :)
Marisa the Magician
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Missed one texture replacement, file has been updated.
leodoom85

Post by leodoom85 »

Maybe a camera that points the key to make it even more obvious to the players :D
To be honest, I don't mind that "issue".
YukiRaven

Post by YukiRaven »

Just played through this and holy shit it was awesome. I really like some of the strange things, like going through a door but suddenly falling down because I actually went through the ceiling. Some of those ambient sounds freaked me out quite a bit, too :D

I didn't run into any issues, btw.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

I've found and reported a crash for this mod. BTW how do i test the custom textures for custom shaders feature?
Where is that bleeding texture?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”